TPA - IAD - CPH Connecting Flight Time

CruisesOnMyMind

Yes, as long as your TPA-IAD flight is on time.

Since it is end of August,,,,,bar no hurricanes, we should be ok.

If first flight is on time you should be fine.

If it is delayed you may have a problem.

I prefer longer layovers.

Hopefully you are not flying in the day of the cruise.

Keith

We are flying in the day before....Still not getting a warm fuzzy feeling. I think I will see if there is an earlier flight without paying an arm and a leg. I rather get up and get going on a travel day anyway.

Thank you for the responses.

I would be more concerned about thunderstorms at IAD then hurricanes.

Thunderstorms at IAD tend to delay all their flights. It is quite possible ti be late due to a t-storm and still make the connection, because the second flight out is equally delayed. Of course that may also not happen, you never know for sure, but there is a god chance.

But a hurricane or other weather affecting TPA would be be a sure miss, because IAD would be unaffected.

OP, consider also that the IAD-CPH on SAS (is that your flight?) is a fairly early flight, as European flights go. As such, if you miss it there are many many other connections on UA and other Star Alliance partners that still get you to CPH same day. And if UA is late bringing you into IAD they can accommodate you on other flights.

EDIT: I see that you booked Choice Air. Those are typically tickets that cannot be endorsed to other airlines, even in the same alliance. If you miss the connection, you're pretty much screwed.

But a hurricane or other weather affecting TPA would be be a sure miss, because IAD would be unaffected.

The lingering effects/remnants of a hurricane or tropical storm usually send in heavy rain which is known to affect east coast airports. Could delay an incoming flight just long enough.....

I think folks are getting way too technical on what the specific cause could be. Bottom line almost anything could delay the first flight from mechanical issues to lack of cockpit personnel to weather such as just a severe thunderstorm to a security breach and on and on and on. It all comes down to how much stress someone wants to deal with. For me, I like a longer layover to get the next plane. Others might not care.

Keith

As it turns out while gathering my information to make a call this morning, I found out we now have a 2:07 hrs in between connecting flights..... could change again....... I feel a lot more comfortable about this.

The other senario's of problems is something I cannot control as Keith stated. 5 hrs layover might not be enough for whatever can happen

We were facing the same problem with CLE-IAD-CPH, but I found a flight with a 5 hours layover instead. We're flying on a Friday in Sept., and I was worried about the weather and if it would be extra busy on a Friday afternoon/early evening.

We were facing the same problem with CLE-IAD-CPH, but I found a flight with a 5 hours layover instead. We're flying on a Friday in Sept., and I was worried about the weather and if it would be extra busy on a Friday afternoon/early evening.

Yes.... that is more comfortable.......5 hours might seem like a long time to spend in an airport, but the memory of it soon fades when your on your flight to the destination.

It might be more busy on a Friday, however the weather would concern me more.

Enjoy your vacation!

Yes.... that is more comfortable.......5 hours might seem like a long time to spend in an airport, but the memory of it soon fades when your on your flight to the destination.

It might be more busy on a Friday, however the weather would concern me more.

Enjoy your vacation!

We are doing the same thing 5 hours at IAD. We bought United Club passes on Ebay for under $18 a pass. They are transferable and well worth the money to relax in a nicer environment than at a gate.

We are doing the same thing 5 hours at IAD. We bought United Club passes on Ebay for under $18 a pass. They are transferable and well worth the money to relax in a nicer environment than at a gate.

What a great tip! I am googling like crazy:D Our return flight from EWR on United is going to be a long wait.

For future reference...do you have to be flying United that day to get in?

What a great tip! I am googling like crazy:D Our return flight from EWR on United is going to be a long wait.

For future reference...do you have to be flying United that day to get in?

I am not sure, we are flying United and SAS.

Be warned that the United Red Carpet Club at IAD is really not very nice and is often extremely crowded with long lines waiting to get in. You could take your $36 and get a nice relaxing meal at one of the sit down restaurants in Terminal C or D - much better food, drink and atmosphere than you'll find in the lounge.

Be warned that the United Red Carpet Club at IAD is really not very nice and is often extremely crowded with long lines waiting to get in. You could take your $36 and get a nice relaxing meal at one of the sit down restaurants in Terminal C or D - much better food, drink and atmosphere than you'll find in the lounge.

I'd agree. The United Clubs at IAD are some of the worst. Better then hanging out at the gate, but the suggestion above is certainly a good alternative and one I would rather take if I didn't get free entry.

I'd agree. The United Clubs at IAD are some of the worst. Better then hanging out at the gate, but the suggestion above is certainly a good alternative and one I would rather take if I didn't get free entry.

Thank you for the heads up from both of you. We will venture in and see how it is.

If the topic comes up again, then I will be able to give my opinion at that time too.

I did read while researching that IAD is one of the worst ones around. Being a heavily travelled airport/hub that somehow doesn't surprise me.

Thank you for the heads up from both of you. We will venture in and see how it is.

If the topic comes up again, then I will be able to give my opinion at that time too.

I did read while researching that IAD is one of the worst ones around. Being a heavily travelled airport/hub that somehow doesn't surprise me.

As said, it's way better than waiting at the gate! Come back and post a review and be sure to note which United Club you used.

I too have not read good things about the United Clubs at IAD, but having a 5.5 hour layover one way and almost a 7 hour layover (due to a cancelled flight) on the way home, it is the best option for us. I was told the Club by C7 is the better of the Clubs so that is the one we are going to try. Even the worse Club has to be better than fighting over a plug for charging electronics and concourse bathrooms.

I too have not read good things about the United Clubs at IAD, but having a 5.5 hour layover one way and almost a 7 hour layover (due to a cancelled flight) on the way home, it is the best option for us. I was told the Club by C7 is the better of the Clubs so that is the one we are going to try. Even the worse Club has to be better than fighting over a plug for charging electronics and concourse bathrooms.

We are in the Club at C7 as I type. It is fine - plenty of snacks, drinks and areas to relax. It is busy, but not crowded. It was a good choice for us. Also, our flight to DC was 2 hours late, so I am so very glad I chose the longer layover. If the later flight is behind schedule (which it will likely be because the plane goes back and forth between the cities) we would have missed our flight to CPH. Just a few more hours and we will be on the way for our cruise (arriving a day early)!!

Also, our flight to DC was 2 hours late, so I am so very glad I chose the longer layover. If the later flight is behind schedule (which it will likely be because the plane goes back and forth between the cities) we would have missed our flight to CPH.

Glad all is working out for you. And for your flight choices.

I like to pose this as a thought problem....which would you rather have happen: 1) Sit around the airport waiting for your flight, or 2) miss your short connection due to weather, mechanical or other cause beyond your control?

Enjoy CPH and take advantage of the "happy hour" deals on drinks, as beers and spirits can be pricey there (as throughout Scandinavia).

Archived