Giving food to room steward/waitstaff?

IheartNYC

We just stayed at a relative's home in London. She had a huge basket full of hotel toiletries that she collected on her travels, with a note attached that said "help yourself". I washed my hair with 'Bvlgari' shampoo and used Hermes conditioner; I had a ball going through the basket. I keep my extras handy for our travels and leave a stash at friends' homes I visit. There is nothing wrong with hotel goodies--beats the Costco brand I use at home (so I can afford more cruises!)

I always make up a "guest basket", using hotel toiletries, and usually toss in a new toothbrush, comb, and disposable razor. With the extreme airline luggage restrictions and fees, it's nice to be able to provide those things for our house guests. Sometimes they use them and sometimes not -- but the thought is always appreciated! :cool:

yes it was but I realize that the comments aren't thought out. We know that the staff appreciated the gesture. We celebrated on night 10 of 12 and had established a wonderful relationship with them. They were more than staff to us. I had a bad case of sun poisoning after our day in St Maarten which resulted in me having a very swollen face and eyes. The staff was so cocerned and offered remedies of sliced cucumbers and cold chamomile tea bags. They were all so caring and friendly, it was like that the whole cruise. In Blu the wait staff is like a team and even though you may have different waiters each evening the room is small and intimate and the staff always came by to say hi, how was your day? We wanted them to celebrate with us. The OP made it sound like we gave them a piece of half eaten cake.

Yes, I believe that this was the post I read about. I must apologize if I made it sound like you gave a half eaten cake to the wait staff at Blu :( I should have chosen my words better (it's hard to remember the exact premise of the incident because I have read so many posts and the only thing that stuck to mind was that the cake was given to the staff after dinner.) I posted this comment/question with the intent of finding out how things work onboard?... Is it okay to give the staff food? Where do they get the food they give away? Bring specialty foods from home?

Like I said, it's the thought that counts. I did not want to hurt feelings or upset anyone with the post. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Yes, I believe that this was the post I read about. I must apologize if I made it sound like you gave a half eaten cake to the wait staff at Blu :( I should have chosen my words better (it's hard to remember the exact premise of the incident because I have read so many posts and the only thing that stuck to mind was that the cake was given to the staff after dinner.) I posted this comment/question with the intent of finding out how things work onboard?... Is it okay to give the staff food? Where do they get the food they give away? Bring specialty foods from home?

Like I said, it's the thought that counts. I did not want to hurt feelings or upset anyone with the post. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Don't stress about it. The problems with text is that you sometimes miss the context or the meaning of how it was written. (E.g. Sarcasm doesn't work that well as people just take offence). I hope that you enjoy many cruises in the future and what ever you decide to give as a extra gift, that it is from the heart. cheers mic:D

FWIW that was exactly how I interpreted your original post--you just wanted to know what the proper protocol was. It was some posters who followed that put a negative spin on it. I did not think your query was critical!!

Sometimes it seems like anything anybody says can be misinterpreted! You might say, "the ship sailed on the ocean" and SOMEbody would say, "it's not a ship, it's a boat." And someone else would say, "it's not an ocean, it's a sea, and it doesn't sail, it has engines!!!" Sheesh!:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on where you stay. Some hotels have lovely soaps and toiletries. Think it's a nice gesture to have small amounts available for guests who may have forgotten to bring their own.

I guess you don't stay at the Travel Lodge very often

No worries, I actually took your post the way it was intended. It was a couple of the answers that came after your question that were a little hurtful. I agree with other posters that the staff do appreciate the extra cash but also feel the same way about any little gesture. All the staff are a long way from home and family and I believe they enjoy the relationships they forge with the passengers and the little perks that come their way, whatever that may be.

Once upon a time I happened to have a box of chocolates. The assistant cabin steward was very moody and seemed unhappy. I gave the box to him. The way his face lit up and he said "for me?" was priceless and I remember it to this day.

A different take: On my last cruise to the Caribbean, I was on antibiotics and couldn't go to the beach. I browsed the shops at each port and collected the freebies! (you can imagine my desperation for an activity!!). Anyway, one jewellery shop gave a print of a scene in each port. I collected them and gave them to the cabin stewards. We all had a good laugh!

All the staff are a long way from home and family and I believe they enjoy the relationships they forge with the passengers and the little perks that come their way, whatever that may be.

You are absolutely correct! One crew member once commented to me that he really liked Americans, but some thought that a tip covered everything. He said that some don't realize that a "thank you" or kind word was most appreciated. Any positive recognition of their service is always appreciated. I can guarantee that your act of kindness was warmly received.

You are absolutely correct! One crew member once commented to me that he really liked Americans, but some thought that a tip covered everything. He said that some don't realize that a "thank you" or kind word was most appreciated. Any positive recognition of their service is always appreciated. I can guarantee that your act of kindness was warmly received.

Thank You!

The best thing you can leave is a good review on the comment card when you depart the ship. They get promotions by the comments that you leave on the cards so make the comments good because they work very very hard.

We always give extra cash to our room steward, his assistant and our main waiter and his assistant but that is it.

Happy sailing.:):):)

I was on a cruise to Canada/ New England and we had to tender. We got on with a crew member who ended up coming back with us. He had shopping bags with chips, cookies, all snackies. I thought give um snackies. Then I thought give um money so they can send the guy who can get out to get the snackies.

Good observation! Yes, this is a regular occurrence at cruise ports.

If you go to a Walmart or other discount store in town, you see crew members there shopping for all sorts of things.

Those who have time off shop for their friends who have to work that day.

At tender ports, the crew purchases are more noticeable because you see returning crew on the tenders loaded down with shopping bags and munching on all sorts of snacks they bought.

In fact, if you want to know where to buy something in port, just ask the crew members. They know the best places for internet access too.

If someone raves about a wonderful candy or other snack at a store around the corner from the dock, then you can figure that would probably be a good treat to get for that person, if you want to give something in addition to cash.

Otherwise, it is hard to tell what actually will or won't be enjoyed by a person you really don't know.

As a previous poster mentioned, not everyone likes chocolate.

Often even within the same family, one does not care for the same treats that another thinks are so wonderful. :D

When we first meet our cabin steward, my husband always gives a $20. right then. We have excellent service the rest of the cruise. We also tip the full expected amount at the end of the cruise as well. The employees on the ship work for very little. The money means much more to them than us. I also always bring a small gift/souvenir for them from our home city too!

When we first meet our cabin steward, my husband always gives a $20. right then. We have excellent service the rest of the cruise. We also tip the full expected amount at the end of the cruise as well. The employees on the ship work for very little. The money means much more to them than us. I also always bring a small gift/souvenir for them from our home city too!

We do likewise, :D

If you go to a Walmart or other discount store in town, you see crew members there shopping for all sorts of things.

At tender ports, the crew purchases are more noticeable because you see returning crew on the tenders loaded down with shopping bags and munching on all sorts of snacks they bought.

In fact, if you want to know where to buy something in port, just ask the crew members. They know the best places for internet access too.

If someone raves about a wonderful candy or other snack at a store around the corner from the dock, then you can figure that would probably be a good treat to get for that person, if you want to give something in addition to cash.

Otherwise, it is hard to tell what actually will or won't be enjoyed by a person you really don't know.

Often even within the same family, one does not care for the same treats that another thinks are so wonderful. :D

I think anything done with heart counts.

I think anything done with heart counts.

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...
C'mon guys. I THINK what happened is that someone was given a cake at their dinner table for a birthday or anniversary celebration. They shared it with tablemates and then asked the waitstaff if they'd like to enjoy some too. I believe it was a polite gesture.

People on this board are VERY quick to criticize! What would you do if you had half of a large cake left on your table? Would you not offer it to someone?

No one is saying, contrary to some snarky comments here, that the staff was offered 'half eaten cake' instead of a gratuity!!!

There is a difference between sitting down and eating together vs offering leftovers.

Why not cut and share at the same time as apposed to celebrating with companions whilst, having the cake sit there for however long and then passing it on when finished? UGH!!!

There is a difference between sitting down and eating together vs offering leftovers.

Why not cut and share at the same time as apposed to celebrating with companions whilst, having the cake sit there for however long and then passing it on when finished? UGH!!!

You have not read the other posts, that is not what happened at all. We had a very large cake for 4 people. It was a beautiful Tiramisu and would not of kept to the next night. We were dining in Blu and it was night 11 of a 12 night cruise. We had become very friendly with the staff and wanted to share the cake with them. They could not stop working to eat cake but enjoyed it after their shift. They were very thankful for the treat as many of them thanked us the following morning. Our waiter said they didn't get Tiramisu very often. The cake DID NOT sit out, after my Aunt blew out the candles it was taken right back to the kitchen! Comments like this are hurtful and you were not there so stop judging what you think happened. You are wrong and if you read the other posts you would of seen I explained what really happened. We did something the staff was very thankful for. I would never pass on cake that had sat out!

We haven't had one of these posts in at least a week.

The crew is well trained to tell you what you want to hear. Luckily you are not a mind reader who would know what they really think of you and your demeaning old food gift.

Tell me, if you lived in a doorman building in NYC, would you give leftover food to the doorman? Do you give leftover food to the people who drive the tour buses.

Why do you feel that you can insult the crew members by giving them your leftover food?

I realize that you are not giving them your used food in lieu of a tip but it is still insulting.

One poster even said that they give the crew members a small souvenir from their home town. Do you really think that the crew wants a key ring from Phoenix or a cheap flashlight from Buffalo. If everyone gave them one of these pieces of junk, their very small shared cabins would be full of the stuff with no room left for them and the stuff that they really need.

DON

Excuse me for sticking in my 2 cents here, but how exactly would you suppose the assigned waitstaff of this particular table, let alone the waitstaff of the entire restaurant (Blu?) could stop serving their other customers long enough to stand around eating cake alongside the guests of said table with cake surplus? (rather than waiting for a later, more appropriate time to do so, as the people involve in the matter said they did.) I personally would be rather "peeved" if my own table service was stopped for that reason.

I gave chocolates to the hotel manager and his assistant because they were so nice to me ....very fancy and delicious in a tiny package as a token of appreciation

.also a hostess got a pair of earrings because she was so helpful ...al this over and beyond the standard tip

I hope they liked them ...I know she wore the earrings in the dining room

yes small gifts are appreciated

Michele

Last night after responding to yet another post about us giving our horrible used cake to the wait staff I went to bed so mad I couldn't sleep. Why is it that there are people who always have to make things negative. I am sure that if the crew did not want the cake they would of simply thrown it away and not said anything. I truly do believe they ate it and enjoyed it.

To Donaldsc, my husband and I are city transit drivers and are often given gifts of fresh fruit from the market, a chocolate bar, a cup of coffee as a sign of thanks. We appreciate the offer of thanks from our passengers no matter what it is. Yes if I had a doorman I was friendly with and we were having a party I would fix him a plate of food. I also offer food and drink to people working around my house.

I am going to do as I was raised and walk away from a useless argument as being upset over the attitude of others is pointless. I want to thank everyone who understood the kindness of the gesture it meant a lot. I would also like to thank the others around here who treat the crew well and give them little tokens of appreciation, I am sure they love it. The most important thing is that these wonderful people are treated with the respect they deserve. It's a shame that sometimes on this board we don't treat each other the same way.

I am a newbie at cruising and was just wondering about some of the posts I've seen here regarding how people reward their room steward/ waitstaff. We all obviously have to tip and leave gratuities, but aside from the customary tip, some others leave food (e.g. chocolate bars) with a thank you note for their room steward and there was also one who left part of a birthday cake for the waitstaff to partake of. I would assume that getting a choc bar is the last thing anyone would want (considering the massive array of foods in the cruise ship) but, apparently, these gifts were well-received and well-appreciated.

My question is, do people bring these foods on board, knowing that they want to give them out or do they get it for free on the ship and give them away?

As many of the crew are from India, like my wife, we bring extra Indian snack foods for them. They do appreciate it because they find it very hard to get this stuff while away. Our 2 Indian waiters on the AOS really looked f/w to porting in St. Maarten so they could go to an Indian restaurant there. It's a taste of home when they are so far away. :)

Last night after responding to yet another post about us giving our horrible used cake to the wait staff I went to bed so mad I couldn't sleep. Why is it that there are people who always have to make things negative. I am sure that if the crew did not want the cake they would of simply thrown it away and not said anything. I truly do believe they ate it and enjoyed it.

To Donaldsc, my husband and I are city transit drivers and are often given gifts of fresh fruit from the market, a chocolate bar, a cup of coffee as a sign of thanks. We appreciate the offer of thanks from our passengers no matter what it is. Yes if I had a doorman I was friendly with and we were having a party I would fix him a plate of food. I also offer food and drink to people working around my house.

I am going to do as I was raised and walk away from a useless argument as being upset over the attitude of others is pointless. I want to thank everyone who understood the kindness of the gesture it meant a lot. I would also like to thank the others around here who treat the crew well and give them little tokens of appreciation, I am sure they love it. The most important thing is that these wonderful people are treated with the respect they deserve. It's a shame that sometimes on this board we don't treat each other the same way.

Well said debandbruce. I am constantly astounded by the rudeness and absolute viciousness of some of the people who write on these posts.

I totally agree re given from the heart is well meant THe reaction I got when I gave stuff seemed genuine gratitudeI hope it was sincere andi will believe it was ,Why are there so MANy negative nellies on these boards always ready to shoot others downfor suggesting something or relating something .Peoplelike that should keep their negativity to themselves

Michele

Do let it bother you. I see that you have some very nice posts and comments. On public boards there will always be cheap shot artists who would not be so bold if the situation were face to face I guarantee you. Most folks here are pretty nice but there are always some who post for what reason I don't know. Its sure not to help and discuss but to bait and badger. Fuggetabouit!! :D Have a good day. :) Larry

Archived