Mid 30's gay couple sailing on HAL? Thoughts?

maxamuus

My partner and i are looking at a Trans-canal cruise on HAL in the fall. I have read that HAL is generally a MUCH older crowd. With that and this being a 14 day cruise im guessing it would be even more so.

Just curious in general have any of you gay couples sailed HAL ? Were you recieved ok ? We arent lovey dovey in public but make no qualms that we are a couple. Just worried with the older crowd they might be closed minded about a gay couple at their table etc.

I know every cruise is differnt just wonder if anyone had a overall feel for sailing while gay on HAL.

My friend and I have been on HAL many times and not a problem. We always ask to share a large table for dinner with 8 other people and have met many great people.

They also have FOD meets and we have met all age groups at these ... the crowd will be smaller but still fun ... the crew like on most ships are also fun and take a joke.

Like you we are openly gay and have never had any problems ... it always amuses me, at some time the table will ask ,how long we have been together.

We are happy to book HAL any time.

Neil

My partner and I are in our mid-40s and just returned from the Rotterdam. We are out and folks were great with us, especially the crew! There were FOD meetings almost every night...we can't report on those because we were either hanging out with her parents or doing our own thing. :)

Oh, and HAL upgraded us to the Penthouse Suite and they know we're a lesbian couple because our two previous HAL cruises were with Olivia. ;)

My partner and I have had wonderful experiences on every one of our HAL cruises! We've met other G&L couples at the organized GLBT meet-ups and are cruising with one of those couples in December on HAL's Westerdam! Go for it! HAL is not just for seniors it's for the discerning crowd that chooses not to pay the Princess prices!

We did a 15 holiday canal on the Amsterdam. We have sailed on HAL twice and going on the Prinsedam in Oct. I love the smaller size of the ships. Great food and staff. No problems what so ever being an out and open couple. We always ask for large dining tables and just act like any other straight would. We are not kissing in public but DO NOT hide what we are and I think we end up earning a bit of respect if not total acceptance for that. Go, be yourselves and enjoy.

We sailed a one week on Westerdam when we were in our early forties. We found the crowd to be quite old (avg age was at least 70) and while age doesn't bother us, we thought the activity schedule was unbelievably thin and the entertainment was of a level of a high school play at a decent sized high school. The cabins were very comfortable and the food was quite good.

I think it depends what you are taking your trip for. If it's to simply kick back and nap and relax, HAL isn't bad. If it's to connect with people your own age (or within a decade or two of it) then maybe not. The sidewalks really do roll up at 9 and we literally couldn't find anything to do after ten. Empty disco, empty bars, empty ship. Now, if you're going to relax or if you find ships to be crowded affairs, HAL is good because it feels like some people never leave their staterooms. The only time we ever saw a crowd was when the oldsters would line up 15 minutes before the dinner seating.

I did not find the HAL crowd to be much different than on other lines, except for the age difference.

My partner and i are looking at a Trans-canal cruise on HAL in the fall. I have read that HAL is generally a MUCH older crowd. With that and this being a 14 day cruise im guessing it would be even more so.

Just curious in general have any of you gay couples sailed HAL ? Were you recieved ok ? We arent lovey dovey in public but make no qualms that we are a couple. Just worried with the older crowd they might be closed minded about a gay couple at their table etc.

I know every cruise is differnt just wonder if anyone had a overall feel for sailing while gay on HAL.

I did a Panama Canal Cruise solo (Princess-10 day:Acapulco/San Juan) and a majority of the passenger were 60+ and I'm sure HAL would be the same. I did meet another younger gay couple and a few other younger straight folks to hang with and I also had a nice mix of table mates to dine with so it turned out OK for me. This isn't a cruise if you are looking for wild nightlife or packed disco. You should go if you are looking for relaxed sea day and the adventure to transit the Panama Canal in an upscale cruise environment. The Panama Canal is a once in a life time experience, but the passenger base is not as diverse like you'd find on a 7-day Caribbean/Mexico cruise. You just need to realized you will be in the minority. Since school in session there will be few families/kids which could be a good thing. I wouldn't necessary stereotype all older straight couples as closed mind or not accepting. I generally feel the people that have the money to cruise/travel are more sophisticated, social and accepting of all people. But in the rare situation you get seated at a table with people you don't feel comfortable with then just ask the Maitre'd to switch your table. This shouldn't be a problem. To this date it was one of the best cruises I'll done out of my 30+ cruises. I guess I just got lucky. :)

My partner and I have over 100 days on HAL cruises and find them to be very friendly and welcoming. The crew and most of the passengers are quite accepting. We are much older than you and don't go for much late-night drinking and dancing, so the fact that things get pretty quiet after 11PM or so is not a problem. But it isn't nearly like satxdiver would like you to believe. We have met lots of great people. And I think HAL's entertainment is generally better than Cunard or NCL or RCCL.

HAL is not just for seniors it's for the discerning crowd that chooses not to pay the Princess prices!

You really think HAL is markedly more expensive than comparable sailings on Princess? You should get a new TA.

BTW, the only real homophobia I experienced was on a HAL ship, but I'm guessing that had more to do with the passenger makeup of that particular cruise, the crucial difference, I think, having to do with regional culture rather than age group. That and an insensitive CD.

When my and my partner visit my mother's assisted living facility, we're always treated graciously by the residents. Which is to say that I'd rather be around a bunch of liberal Florida Jews in their 80s than a bunch of hardshell Georgia Baptists in their 30s.

You really think HAL is markedly more expensive than comparable sailings on Princess? You should get a new TA.

BTW, the only real homophobia I experienced was on a HAL ship, but I'm guessing that had more to do with the passenger makeup of that particular cruise, the crucial difference, I think, having to do with regional culture rather than age group. That and an insensitive CD.

When my and my partner visit my mother's assisted living facility, we're always treated graciously by the residents. Which is to say that I'd rather be around a bunch of liberal Florida Jews in their 80s than a bunch of hardshell Georgia Baptists in their 30s.

Agree with you on two counts. I love people who say HAL is a premium line and then brag about it being cheaper than Princess.

Also, the only overt homophobia we have ever encountered was on HAL and it was from the cruise director from the stage in the main theater. He made a homophobic joke and when a part of the crowd boo'd, he said "obviously you must know I was just kidding." I'm not sure he would also make a racist or religious joke and presume the same forbearance.

Also, the only overt homophobia we have ever encountered was on HAL and it was from the cruise director from the stage in the main theater. He made a homophobic joke and when a part of the crowd boo'd, he said "obviously you must know I was just kidding." I'm not sure he would also make a racist or religious joke and presume the same forbearance.

p.s. We complained to the line after this by mail and got back a form letter saying it was wonderful to have had us on their ship and they hoped to see us again in the future.

Not to say the pax on HAL are <ahem> older, this is the dinner times:

3:30 First seating for dinner

5:30 Second seating for dinner

7:30 Midnight buffet

Lights out at 8:30!

ROF! i am soooo tempted to quote this on the hal boards. :D

p.s. We complained to the line after this by mail and got back a form letter saying it was wonderful to have had us on their ship and they hoped to see us again in the future.

Now that's what I call responsive customer relations. :rolleyes:

That's true.Georgia Pecans aren't the only thing with hard shells. The old line is..When you leave Atlanta, you're now in Georgia.

It was my perception that Princess was a little more expensive than HAL. Pardon me if I was incorrect!

It was my perception that Princess was a little more expensive than HAL. Pardon me if I was incorrect!

Well, in fairness, you claimed the HAL crowd was discerning for not paying Princess prices.

I find the HAL crowd to be very "discerning" in the same way. Sure, the oldsters on HAL wear nice clothes to dinner but they may not have been bought in this century.

We're a bit older (early 50's) but we've been sailing on HAL for many years, now. I think 12 cruises so far and it is one of , if not THE favorite line of ours. ALWAYS had a wonderful time and met some great people who we have stayed friends with and travel together, still.

We've taken two HAL cruises and would take another if the price were right. Our two cruises were during DH's breaks as a community college instructor--one at Christmas and one during spring break--so we did not see much difference in the passenger demographics from our Princess and Celebrity cruises. A two-week cruise in the fall would probably see more of a marked difference. Even our one-week cruise to New England and Canada on a Princess ship made us feel young.

I find the HAL crowd to be very "discerning" in the same way. Sure, the oldsters on HAL wear nice clothes to dinner but they may not have been bought in this century.

Whereas Princess passengers are fashion forward??? :eek:

The prices can vary quite a bit..depending on locale ship's age/size. We've seen people pay more on HAL/Princess than we've paid on Cunard. I guess being at the right place/right time helps.

The first cruise my partner and I took together was on HAL and we experienced homophobia from the passengers. This was 9 years ago and we were in our late 20s on the Zuiderdam in the Caribbean. The people at our table made it clear that they did not enjoy our presence at their table. Also, my partner is from Taiwan and one passenger actually came up to him and gave him a drink order. My partner had to explain to him that he was also a passenger and not a HAL employee.

Except for the homophobic table mates, we had a decent time on HAL. However, the entire experience has made us sour towards sharing a table with other guests. Fortunately, Celebrity has Blu with tables for 2 and we are going to try free style dining with NCL later this year and next year.

You can find undesirable table mates on any cruise line. HAL now has free-style dinner seating and that is what we use. We have met some wonderful people that way, and you don't have to face the same folks every night like with traditional dining. Our worst dining companion was on an RSVP cruise many years ago, but he left on his own accord. In general, the HAL passengers are very accepting and friendly.

IMHO, one cruise on NCL was enough. So many children running around. And the food was not nearly up to the quality of HAL. And so many restaurants were an extra charge. You can have NCL.

Is it freestyle in that there is a table for two or do they place you with other people? I am waiting for HAL's 2014 schedule to come out. We may give them another try in 2014.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Archived