Courtesy hold questions?

I have never used this feature before so I'm curious how it works. #1 do you start getting calls from RCCL every day trying to get you to book the room, because I see they take your phone number? #2 Can you just continue to hold the room every day? That doesn't make sense because your just blocking someone that really wants to book. Thanks for any info.

I've never tried to hold the cabin beyond the 24hrs, so I don't know if you can continue to hold it. They have never called me when I used this feature, just an email reminder that the hold was soon to expire. I had the hold last longer than 24hrs before but that is usually not the case.

I've never tried to hold the cabin beyond the 24hrs, so I don't know if you can continue to hold it. They have never called me when I used this feature, just an email reminder that the hold was soon to expire. I had the hold last longer than 24hrs before but that is usually not the case.

Excellent, I was afraid I was gonna start getting calls every hour on the hour about booking. Thanks

I get a call from the same guy every time I cancel or let a hold expire. And every time, he goes through introducing himself like it is the first time we have ever spoken. One time, he had just called me the day before! He must be calling thousands of people.

He said he was assigned as my 'personal cruise planner' but every time I call his extension he is not available so I just talk to someone else or book online.

Hey I did get a call today from RCCL and the guy was very, very nice. There was NO pressure to book, he tried but was not forceful and was NOT pushy. Thank god because I hate when salesman are like that. He did talk about you being able to put a deposit down and then if you need to cancel you can do that as long as its before final payment which he said is usually 70 days before sailing. I was overall very impressed with the vacation planner that called me, very nice, courteous man. Actually made me feel better about RCCL overall. Smart to have them not be pushy or pressuring. So now we need to book and hopefully not have to cancel.

Hey I did get a call today from RCCL and the guy was very, very nice. There was NO pressure to book, he tried but was not forceful and was NOT pushy. Thank god because I hate when salesman are like that. He did talk about you being able to put a deposit down and then if you need to cancel you can do that as long as its before final payment which he said is usually 70 days before sailing. I was overall very impressed with the vacation planner that called me, very nice, courteous man. Actually made me feel better about RCCL overall. Smart to have them not be pushy or pressuring. So now we need to book and hopefully not have to cancel.

I suspect that the people who haven't gotten a call weren't home. I don't think they leave a message or call back since it's a no pressure call anyway.

What I've thought was funny in my case, I've released the room and then gone ahead and booked the cruise soon after or sometimes a different date for the same cruise, and I've still gotten the call. Apparently they don't check.

Gina

Oh hey I was told something odd that I can't believe on the phone. He said that calling RCCL was a better way to book because all of the available rooms are NOT shown online. #1 is that true and #2 if it is why would that be? I thought RCCL wanted you to book online? Thanks for the help again, appreciate it much.

Oh hey I was told something odd that I can't believe on the phone. He said that calling RCCL was a better way to book because all of the available rooms are NOT shown online. #1 is that true and #2 if it is why would that be? I thought RCCL wanted you to book online? Thanks for the help again, appreciate it much.

That's true. If more rooms are available than are shown, there will be a box where you can type in your preferred room number to check to see if it's available. They show more rooms now than they used to show. But they still don't show them all. They usually show the rooms they think are the best available. In fact it seems they preselect what they deem the best. But I know they don't always show cabin JS 1100 when it's available on Radiance class ships. Many people think it's the best one.

Yep, I just went a checked one of my future cruises. They show 15 maximum JS available. But there are more. 1100 is available and not showing and I have a JS and I don't want 1100. :D I typed in 1100, it showed and now 16 are showing as available.

Gina

I have a new one ... For a last minute booking, I called my TA (good perks) but while waiting for a return call, I put a hold on two GTY cabins just in case. TA called and tried to book for us, but there was only 1 cabin left at that sale price. While on the phone, I went online and cancelled my two GTYs on hold and my TA was able to see them released and book them.

Interesting info guys, thanks. I would have never thought they would hold back on showing all available rooms. I guess I just don't understand the strategy or the business.

I think most people are happy to pick from the 15 in any given category that they're shown. If they're picky like some of us around here are, we know how to check for our preferred cabin. I don't think most people will know the difference. Except for you! :)

Gina

I think most people are happy to pick from the 15 in any given category that they're shown. If they're picky like some of us around here are, we know how to check for our preferred cabin. I don't think most people will know the difference. Except for you! :)

Gina

Very funny, I guess I should of saw that coming.:p

Does it cost anymore, is there some sort of fee attached to a cruise booked by calling RCCL? I'm just curious because i have never booked other than online, and I never booked at all through RCCL. My usual TA gives free prepaid gratuities, so that is nearly impossible to pass up.

Very funny, I guess I should of saw that coming.:p

Does it cost anymore, is there some sort of fee attached to a cruise booked by calling RCCL? I'm just curious because i have never booked other than online, and I never booked at all through RCCL. My usual TA gives free prepaid gratuities, so that is nearly impossible to pass up.

People pay the same no matter who we book with at any given time. I've heard that people in the UK get a discount if they book on line. Prepaid gratuities is a nice offer. You can book on the ship for the same price and get on board credit, crown and anchor balcony discount (if you qualify) and still use your travel agent so you can get those prepaid gratuities. They'll automatically assign it to your TA if you've been using one, when you book on board - in case you didn't know any of this.

Gina

Late in May, my mother was trying to book a room on the 6/30 EOS Bermuda sailing; she and my father were already booked on the cruise, and my husband and I were trying to figure out work schedules to see if we could also go. So she held a room and re-held another each time one expired for four days straight. Finally she did get a call from a RCI rep who she said was not pushy and offered some complimentary perks (in-room gifts--food I'm assuming, but she won't tell me what). She ended up booking for us, and later in the week when prices dropped (but she had already paid in full) she called the rep and he was able to get us a higher category room for no additional charge.

This and previous experiences have made me a proponent with working with RCI over the phone when the need arises.

Archived