Corfu Review - DIY

CM2J2R2S

We were in Corfu on the NCL Jade on 28 May 2012. We rented a car from Sunrise which is across the street from the cruise port. We made our reservations with them in advance and opted for a jeep instead of a small car, just for fun. We had about five or six hours in port and drove to Paleokastritsa and through Pelekas and Glyfada and then did some random driving and headed toward Corfu and into the Old Town for some wandering around.

Wished we had longer in port, but this island is very much something you can do on your own. It is a long walk from the port to the Old Town, but it is not unmanageable. Renting a small car was about twenty euro with Sunrise and they are great, easy to work with and very helpful.

Whatever you do on your own, you will be happy in this small, laid back island.

I keep reading [including on the rental-car sites] that you can't rent a car in Greece without an International Driver's License that you've held for one year. Did you find that to be the case? I've seen warnings about renting without the IDL, such as insurance not covering, etc.

I keep reading [including on the rental-car sites] that you can't rent a car in Greece without an International Driver's License that you've held for one year. Did you find that to be the case? I've seen warnings about renting without the IDL, such as insurance not covering, etc.

A couple of points from what I have found out - from USA perspective.

The time requirement you referenced is for your state issued license - not and IDL (or IDP - see below).

I have read that most of the rental agencies will rent cars with just a state issued license. Your exposure comes if you are ever "stopped" or questioned by law enforcement, which they may request to see an IDP in addition to your state issued license. You may be fined if you do not have one - and I have read the fines could be extensive and require a stop to the local court immediately.

In the US, you can very easily get an IDP - International Drivers Permit. You can get these at any AAA location for $15. (plus cost of passport sized photos), . . . and you do not need to be a AAA member. They are good for 1 year. This is a paper work only IDP, simply fill out an application, and you get the IDP on the spot - takes all of 10 minutes or so. You then are suppose to have both your state issued license and the IDP to be completely legal on the road.

While unlikely I would ever need to produce an IDP, . . . I did opt to go get one for our upcoming trip to be on the conservative/safe side.

I did not see ATVs or Scooters there and I think that this is just car rental. But... they are great with email and there website is very good.

Thanks so much, I found their website, & it looks like they don't rent them, I did, however, find an agency that does, I'll just have to check if they are close to where the ship docks.

driving the island did you use a gps or use maps or were the signs laid out without any trouble.

We found that it was difficult to download Greek road maps and some of the information was in Greek... so we opted for maps. The signs in Corfu were very easily laid out and if you are good with knowing north/south, you probably won't get lost because you will know which way the sun and the water are.

• 3 weeks later...
We found that it was difficult to download Greek road maps and some of the information was in Greek... so we opted for maps. The signs in Corfu were very easily laid out and if you are good with knowing north/south, you probably won't get lost because you will know which way the sun and the water are.

Agree - fairly easy to find your way around. We did take a wrong turn once, . . . but quickly found our way back to the main road and once again off in the correct direction.

Only thing I would point out and wish I had known before we left, . . . all signs on the roads refer to Corfu Town as Kerkrya. Our map from the rental agency used Corfu Town, . . . and Kerkrya was no where to be found on the map. We kept looking for Kerkrya as a reference point because every intersection referenced it so we knew it must be a large town/city. Much much later, we started guessing that Kerkrya and Corfu town likely were one in the same - which we now know they are. So, . . . on your way back from where ever, look for Kerkrya signs versus Corfu signs. :)

Thanks so much, I found their website, & it looks like they don't rent them, I did, however, find an agency that does, I'll just have to check if they are close to where the ship docks.

Can you give me the info on the ATV rental? We are interested in doing that also

• 2 weeks later...
Agree - fairly easy to find your way around. We did take a wrong turn once, . . . but quickly found our way back to the main road and once again off in the correct direction.

Only thing I would point out and wish I had known before we left, . . . all signs on the roads refer to Corfu Town as Kerkrya. Our map from the rental agency used Corfu Town, . . . and Kerkrya was no where to be found on the map. We kept looking for Kerkrya as a reference point because every intersection referenced it so we knew it must be a large town/city. Much much later, we started guessing that Kerkrya and Corfu town likely were one in the same - which we now know they are. So, . . . on your way back from where ever, look for Kerkrya signs versus Corfu signs. :)

Could you tell me how the driving was? Twisty, narrow, drop offs?

Thanks!

We found that there were some twists and turns but not a ton of them everywhere you go. Overall, the ride was not steep ups and downs and curves but there are a few every now and then.

OK that sounds doable.

Thanks for the help!

Carol

Paleokastritsa was very easy to find and not that far - 20 minutes maybe a little bit more. If you are not going to the monastery or doing a grotto trip, there is not much there. We had intended to do a boat excursion there but it was a very cool morning and we opted to just drive around the island. The other thing is Paleokastritsa's monastery is a bus tour location, so if you are going, go early or go late or it will be packed with tourists.

Parking in Corfu Town was terrible! Circled three times before lucking into a spot! There are paid parking lots but they are packed and the free ones are few and far between. Corfu Town is a healthy hike from the cruise port and thus a healthy hike from the car rental place.

One question, do you recall the cost of the car?

We just rented a car for our upcoming visit. We used Sunshine and it was 34 euro for an automatic, with GPS and the insurance.

• 2 months later...

Archived