must have /helpful things to bring on a HAL cruise

fcleiser3

One thing very important if you wear glasses a 2nd pair. I don't know how many times a lens has falling out of my glasses and sometimes lost.

Mary

Excellent advice. I didn't include it on my list since it's not on my cruise list because an extra pair for hubby and one for me are in the oversize purse that I take with me on all travels of more than a day.

a small ice cooler is helpfull.....the tiny ice buckets are always melted just when you need ice!

Great suggestion! Have consistently found that when wanting that pre-dinner drink on the balcony, that most of the ice left by the steward is melted. Maybe something insulated but flexible?

Thank you to Spary-elpaso and Sheila aka, innlady1 for the suggestion of the Belkin mini surge protector & usb charger.

For Canadians, this can be found at Future Shop for $24.99.

An added feature, the plug in can rotate.

I tried to attach the picture but I am technology impaired! The picture can be found on page 1 of this thread.

We have never packed duct tape in all of our cruises.

But we always pack bandaids. when we hit rough seas and our one door was banging - I just used two bandaids to keep it closed. Worked great and we could open it and re-seal it.:)

The one thing I am taking (and I can't believe I am saying this:rolleyes:) is an IPOD dock and speaker. Found one that is reasonably sized and has great sound. It was my anniversary present:) Why? Because with 9 days at sea plus some sea view days, I want to be able to hear music without having to put ear phones in my ears.:):)

We scrimp on a lot of things - but DH was shocked when I said I wanted this. and he loves it. I just wish HAL had docks and speakers in the cabins other than those Spa suites

The one thing I am taking (and I can't believe I am saying this:rolleyes:) is an IPOD dock and speaker. Found one that is reasonably sized and has great sound.

I've done the same thing for a number of years for use in the cabin, and with VERY low volume on the balcony.

The one thing I am taking (and I can't believe I am saying this:rolleyes:) is an IPOD dock and speaker. Found one that is reasonably sized and has great sound. It was my anniversary present:) Why? Because with 9 days at sea plus some sea view days, I want to be able to hear music without having to put ear phones in my ears.:):)

Just curious....what type did you get?

Got a JBL on Stage 400P - great sound and small enough to go in a carry on (I don't think I would risk putting it in checked luggage). Read a lot of reviews and it seemed a good choice. Only negative - it has to be plugged in but that does not concern me:D DH is impressed with the sound too:D:D

We have never packed duct tape in all of our cruises.

I ALWAYS pack a roll. I use it to wrap around my hardsider suitcases:

1. To prevent them from popping open

2. To easily identify my suitcases from the sea of lookalikes in the terminal

3. To provide stability to the liquor boxes

Duct tape is way less expensive than the strapping tape I used to bring along; and it is available in a variety of colors and prints....

Thank you to Spary-elpaso and Sheila aka, innlady1 for the suggestion of the Belkin mini surge protector & usb charger.

For Canadians, this can be found at Future Shop for $24.99.

An added feature, the plug in can rotate.

I tried to attach the picture but I am technology impaired! The picture can be found on page 1 of this thread.

Can be found on-line through Staples for $13.99 - I just ordered one, even with shipping less than $20.00.

Well work it.

SMILE - :D - it always confuses an oncoming frown.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Got a JBL on Stage 400P - great sound and small enough to go in a carry on (I don't think I would risk putting it in checked luggage). Read a lot of reviews and it seemed a good choice. Only negative - it has to be plugged in but that does not concern me:D DH is impressed with the sound too:D:D

Thanks!! I was looking at the ihome portable one that both plugs in and runs on batteries. Reviews look good on that, too! This is topping my list of must haves no matter which version I get!! I'm with you on the earphones in ears thing!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Over the years we have built up a collection of things we cruise with, and those items are stored in one of our suitcases so I never have to go hunting.:) I bring one of the Belkin 3-outlet strips with the USB ports along with a very short (6") extension cord, because sometimes the outlets are recessed and it's impossible to plug things in without one.

I bought this before our last cruise, and it worked wonderfully to keep all the charging cords organized for 2 iPhones, 2 Kindles, and an iPad!:rolleyes:

41IdQjf-Z0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Other things I always take on a cruise...ZipLoc bags in a variety of sizes, large sticky notes, a small fan, copies of our passports, a travel alarm clock, a small flashlight (plus a flashlight app on my phone), a small cross-body purse for daytime (holds camera and key card), snorkel gear (minus fins if we're flying), and an OTC medication/first aid kit.

It's a wonder I have room for clothes!:eek::rolleyes:

I'm with you Cindy. I keep all electrical things in one packing cube, then if I'm whisked off even for a short weekend, I grab and go. Love your idea of including passport copies. I use my Android phone for alarm clock, flashlight, nightlight, digital clock, journal (there are free apps for all those things). So even if your phone and e-mail don't work, you can keep track of thing and journal into your phone to upload to friends when you can get free Wi-Fi ashore. PLASTIC BAGS are the top of my list, always, great for the beach to keep things tidy, make your camera water resistant, or bury with valuables if you go into the sea.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342277888.982398.jpg.993148749f5d03bfff54e8a75ba392ab.jpg

Here's my latest "cruise gadget." Right now I'm using it in my kitchen, but it will definitely be in my suitcase for my November cruise. I assume I could also use my phone with the portable speaker, but I haven't tried it yet.

[ATTACH]239573[/ATTACH]

Here's my latest "cruise gadget." Right now I'm using it in my kitchen, but it will definitely be in my suitcase for my November cruise. I assume I could also use my phone with the portable speaker, but I haven't tried it yet.

It also works with my phone...charges both devices and plays at the same time!:)

The one thing I am taking (and I can't believe I am saying this:rolleyes:) is an IPOD dock and speaker. Found one that is reasonably sized and has great sound.

I've done the same thing for a number of years for use in the cabin, and with VERY low volume on the balcony.

I agree its really nice to have music without headphones. A couple years ago I bought a Altec Lansing inMotion SoundBlade Bluetooth Speaker. Its the coolest little thing. Its about 14 inches wide, 8 inches high and about 1 inch thick and has a built in fold down stand. The thing I really like about it is its not a dock. So, I can use it with my Blackberry, my iPad, and my GF can use it with her iPhone or iPod. No wires and when you synch to it, your phone or iPod acts as a remote control. And you're not docked, so you can use your phone to do other things while your listening to music. I also bought one for my daughter and she absolutely loves it.

Its slim and easy to pack. Runs forever on 6 AA batteries or plugs in and it sounds amazing given its small size. I think its since been discontinued, but I still see it on some websites and eBay new. For a lot, A LOT less than I originally paid for it. :(

I highly recommend this to anyone considering an iPod dock. Its perfect for traveling.

I always bring several "chip bag" clips (preferably the smaller stronger ones) to keep the curtains securely closed at night....this is a must for Alaska cruises.

Also for cruises for which I have planned a lot of tours, I bring colored index cards using a color for each day.

On one side are the particulars about that day's tour- i.e. port, name of tour, date, time & place to meet, length of tour, cost etc, and on the other side a list of special things I want to make sure we bring.

If it is a private tour I add the name and cabin # of the organizer, and the telephone number of the tour guide/contact person.

If I am the tour organizer I also include a list of the names and cabin #s of all participants and the cost per person.

I try to alternate the colors so for lengthy cruises especially in Europe I might have multiple rounds of the colored index cards.

After each tour I write any notes about the tour I wish to remember and pack it away for fond memories when we get home.

I see a lot of people bring i-pads. I have one but don't use it much. What can I do with it without connecting to the internet?? Thanks!

I'm taking my ipad because I have the kindle reader on it and have downloaded a bunch of books. It's much easier to take my ipad then to tote several books along.

I plan on writing a trip report or journal day by day, then posting it when I return. I don't need an internet connection to write in a journal.

I also have several Apps on it that I frequently use that don't need an internet connection, such as a calorie/food tracker. Another is a white noise app I use to sleep at night rather than haul a fan around.

But if you don't know what YOU would use it for without an internet connection, then there's probably no need to take it.

I see a lot of people bring i-pads. I have one but don't use it much. What can I do with it without connecting to the internet?? Thanks!

Reading books

Reading magazines

Watching movies and TV shows

Storing important cruise and other docs

Recording voice and typed notes

Listening to music

Travel alarm clock app

Night light app

Many other apps

Playing games

And much more...

Archived