AOS vs. Allure

We have double booked for next March and have to pick one. My DH wants the AOS out of San Juan to Curaçao, Aruba, St Kitts, St Thomas and I'm leaning towards an Allure experience.....Total costs are the same but the AOS is a balcony mid ship and the Allure is an OV forward on deck 8.......hotels, flights, etc are a wash.

The only RCCL ship we have been on was a Med cruise on the Brilliance seven years ago. We have cruised out of San Juan a couple of times on Celebrity but I probably don't have much to compare to either the RCCL AOS or the Allure.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice.......karen

Funny you should ask. We were on AOS this year out of SJ. Different ports. We had a great time, but were flat out exhausted when we were done. We had full day excursions for each port (never having done any except St. Martin). We have just booked Allure for next year. We want to make the ship the destination this time. Flight time I would imagine would be a bit longer for you as well going to/from SJ instead of FLL.

I don't know if that helps answer your question as I haven't done Allure yet. But I hope this is some help.

Erika

It will be a totally different experience....We love the Voyager class ships....not too big, not too small...

On Allure, it's all about the ship. On AOS, the ship plays a part, but it's about the cruising experience...ports and ship and the sea!

It will be a totally different experience....We love the Voyager class ships....not too big, not too small...

On Allure, it's all about the ship. On AOS, the ship plays a part, but it's about the cruising experience...ports and ship and the sea!

cb is absolutely correct!

If you want great shows and an amazing ship, go for Allure.

If it's the ports that interest you, definitely go for AOS.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

The Allure would be a better ship IMHO. I have done the Voyager class and the Oasis so I have a little bit to compare. Since you have done the Southern route several times I would choose the Allure for a completely different experience.

Funny you should ask. We were on AOS this year out of SJ. Different ports. We had a great time, but were flat out exhausted when we were done. We had full day excursions for each port (never having done any except St. Martin). We have just booked Allure for next year. We want to make the ship the destination this time. Flight time I would imagine would be a bit longer for you as well going to/from SJ instead of FLL.

I don't know if that helps answer your question as I haven't done Allure yet. But I hope this is some help.

Erika

Erika,

Speaking to you directly, I would love to do those ports and go nuts, I haven't been on the southern yet. However, we did so Allure last year and even having a good time in St Thomas (2nd time) and St Martin (first time) the 3 sea days (add one for Nassau where we didn't get off the ship) did make for a relaxing time.

Adventure is a great ship in its own right and, as far as I am concerned, the southern itineraries are the best. Since you have never been on a Voyager class ship it will be just as new of an experience for you as going on Allure would be. Allure, does not have anywhere near as good of an itinerary as Advenure does.

So you have to decide whether you want the cruise to be mostly about the ship (and Allure is an amazing ship) or if you want to combine a very nice ship with an awesome itinerary. Only you can decide that. Which ever one you pick you have the other choice for your following cruise after this one.

If you are more interested in ports, go for the AOS. If you are cruising for the ship, choose the Allure.

I cruised that itinerary on the Carnival Miracle a few years ago. The ship was nice, but we wanted to hit ports we had never been to.

I was on the AOS earlier this year (different route). The ship was nice, but we were more interested in the ports. Having a day in San Juan pre-cruise was an added bonus.

I was on the Oasis last year. The ports were "blah" (same ol' same ol'), but we didn't really care. We wanted to see what the whole experience was like.

You really can't go wrong with either option...maybe you can draw straws. ;)

Archived