Packing for Australia/NewZealand

judyfssw

Since CC has been writing about packing and tips, I started thinking about what we would pack for our cruise/trip.

We will be arriving in Aukland on December 30th. We will be touring the nearby areas until our cruise leaves on January 4th. Then, after we arrive in Sydney, we will spend a few days there until we fly to Cairns on the 18th. Although we will not snorkle, we would like to see the GBR and then go on the tram/railroad to the rainforest. Returning to Sydney the evening before we leave for home.

• Any suggestions on appropriate attire for our tours. Should we bring cold weather and hot weather clothes. Packing for our trip will drive me crazy.
  • Help

My best advice is bring clothes for "all seasons". I assume you are doing the Auckland to Sydney cruise via the South Island and Milford Sounds etc.

You will need a warm jacket, possibly scarves for the Sounds as it can been quite cold even when the sun is shining. A shower or rain coat may also be worth packing.

So think layers! A warm jacket, a jumper/jersey/pullover that can go over shirts/blouse and trousers.

While it can be warm and humid in Auckland ( 22 -27 C), it can be either warm or cold further south.

Boxing Day 2010 in Hobart it was 14 C and it was snowing albeit lightly on Mt Wellington!

If you care to have a look at my blog (details in my signature) you will see plenty of photos from our two NZ/Australia cruises which will show the range of temperatures.

Since CC has been writing about packing and tips, I started thinking about what we would pack for our cruise/trip.

We will be arriving in Aukland on December 30th. We will be touring the nearby areas until our cruise leaves on January 4th. Then, after we arrive in Sydney, we will spend a few days there until we fly to Cairns on the 18th. Although we will not snorkle, we would like to see the GBR and then go on the tram/railroad to the rainforest. Returning to Sydney the evening before we leave for home.

• Any suggestions on appropriate attire for our tours. Should we bring cold weather and hot weather clothes. Packing for our trip will drive me crazy.
  • Help

The temperatures in NZ in January will vary from maximums of 80% F (North island) to 70 F (South Island) and minimumss of mid 50F (North Island ) to 50F (South Island). It can be very unpredictable and the wind (especially in Wellington) and at sea or on a boat based excursion can take the temperature down considerably due to the wind chill factor. In Cairns the temperatures can go higher than 89-90 % F and lower than 75%F. January is in the middle of the wet season so it will be very humid with tropical rain always a chance. Sydney is somewhere in the middle but can also be changeable. So take layers - preferably breathable natural fibres. E.g. Several short sleeved tops, one or two light weight long sleeved sweaters, pants in different weights - light and medium and a long line wind and waterproof jacket, that you can roll up into its own pocket and carrry in your day bag when ashore. Shorts if you wear then or capris are good for the warmer days. Evenings and sea days are like any airconditioned ship - can vary from icy cold to unbearably hot if it is not well balanced. I take a hat for scenic cruising in the Fjords and shawls for the evening to balance out the airconditioning and for jaunts onto the open decks. Even if you are not planning to snorkel, I would take swimming costumes - never know what you may be encoraged to do when you get there.

Colleen

Even at the bottom of the Sth Island and in Tasmania it is not going to be cold cold.

As mentioned before dress for the wind chill factor and dress in layers. A light waterproof windbreaker is ideal...esecially if its one you can roll up and put in a carry bag if not needed.

We went to the south island from December 26 to January 9 this year. The weather was variable but it was cold frequently. Even when the sun was shining. We had a couple of nights of rain but it was fine during the day. There was snow on the mountains in Arthurs Pass and Milford Sound (more snow than usual for that time of the year apparently).

I had a medium weight gortex raincoat with a hood which I often wore (for wind protection and warmth) with a long sleeved thermal and long sleeved polar fleece under it. The coldest place was Dunedin where the wind just whipped through you. Forget an umbrella. I have a thin woollen cardigan which I usually wear in Autumn/Spring with a long sleeved tshirt and scarf and it wasn't warm enough in NZ.

Milford Sound was sunny (a miracle) but the wind was cold. I took my raincoat off and on as the temperature varied over the day. It was colder than London in may (if that helps).

Sydney should be lovely and warm. :):)

Think your spring for the south of New Zealand and pack for that. I was there during their winter and found it comfortable with a coat and sweater and I come from a temperate climate. I would take a fleecy and a waterproof jacket and you should be okay.

We have visited these areas three times in the past four years.

As others have said you need to bring a range of clothing for the hot weather but also for the colder and windier weather. Just like many places around the world on port can be sunny one day and cold and windy the next day.

Keith

Archived