Beware of pickpockets at Rome Termini!

DonRobertoSanJuan

• 4 weeks later...

Why not bring a large Louisville Slugger baseball bat over and carry it during the day, swinging round in large arcs? Surely, no hands will brush against the rear end.

Seriously, after many many visits to Rome and touring that wonderful city all day, we have never ever had an incident of any sort - be it on public transport, at the Trevi or Vatican or Piazza d. Popolo, the Termini. In fact, asking for directions or a helping hand when done so in Italian has been met with a smile and an eagerness to help. Learn a few words and expressions in Italian before you go and your experience - in restaurants and on the street - will be far richer.

I don't mean to say cruisers should not stay alert. It is painfuly obvious to eyeball tourists who are just asking for a problem: wallets hanging out of rear pocket, bulging bags strapped across the chest alongside heavyweight cameras. We have had problems with nasty street life in Chicago, New York, DC and L.A. - much more than what was encountered in Rome, Venice, Florence or any other Italian city.

Don't be scared, be alert...and have a great time in a great city!

Why not bring a large Louisville Slugger baseball bat over and carry it during the day, swinging round in large arcs? Surely, no hands will brush against the rear end.

Seriously, after many many visits to Rome and touring that wonderful city all day, we have never ever had an incident of any sort - be it on public transport....

I agree in principle with what you say, that crime happens everywhere. But just because you have been incident free doesn't really mean that everyone has the same experience. And sometimes this is just about luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course. One needs to be attentive to surroundings and we can't extrapolate universally based on our personal experience. My having had no problem over the years does not trump or negate the sad tales of those whose pockets were picked, luggage stolen etc. - and vice versa.

Enjoy Rome, have a wonderful time, there is much to see. But keep eyes open - just as one would in New York, Paris, Bangkok or LA!

Last week we were on a train into Athens. Standing room only and all quite squashed in. A man started playing an accordion and a beautiful little girl was walking the carriage with her hand out collecting a euro or so from listeners. Fair enough - but all around us were people watching this little girl and seeing who was giving money out and where they kept their purses! if you want to give these people money plan ahead and keep a euro or so in your hand. Dont show them where to pickpocket from!

Another one. In Civitavecchia we were pretty much at platform 27 and a young woman said "you need to validate your ticket" - we pretty much ignored her except my dad who said "we already had". We stood at the platorm waiting for the train, then when it came this woman reappeared and "helped" us to get on the train even though we knew how to get on a train (most odd) - anyway we got sat down and then she came with her hand out! I just started laughing but I had a euro in my hand so gave her it. then she was insistent because there were four of us she wanted 4 lots of money. I just chased her.

In Venice a random bag seller was trying to sell mum a "prada" bag. he wanted 120E!! i was just laughing at him and telling him it wasnt Prada and I pointed out lots of faults on it. But my mum kept saying "but I LIKE It" even after my dad had told this guy to clear off...I could have killed her!! Anyway, the upshot was my mum got her bag for 25E, and I got a thumb to nose gesture followed by one of my throat being slit!!! Nice eh! We were then told that it is illegal to buy fakes in venice, not to sell them mind you, nothing happens to them. Tourists get fined quite heavily for buying fake goods.

We were then told that it is illegal to buy fakes in venice, not to sell them mind you, nothing happens to them. Tourists get fined quite heavily for buying fake goods.

Both sides of the transaction are illegal, but law enforcement (not just in Venice, this is a common strategy around the world) focuses on the buyer because (1) they are easier to catch and (2) if they eliminate the buyer the seller problem goes away on its own.

In Venice a random bag seller was trying to sell mum a "prada" bag. he wanted 120E!! i was just laughing at him and telling him it wasnt Prada and I pointed out lots of faults on it. But my mum kept saying "but I LIKE It" even after my dad had told this guy to clear off...I could have killed her!! Anyway, the upshot was my mum got her bag for 25E, and I got a thumb to nose gesture followed by one of my throat being slit!!! Nice eh! We were then told that it is illegal to buy fakes in venice, not to sell them mind you, nothing happens to them. Tourists get fined quite heavily for buying fake goods.

Last year on the Carnival Magic a woman was fined 200 euros for buying a purse. When she got back to the ship she wanted Carnival to pay her for the fine:eek:

Agree with all the cautions stated here. No need to be paranoid or carry weapons, just be alert, take the advice here for concealing your valuables and have fun. We have traveled in Europe and the UK a total of 42 days over the past few years and the only time we ever had trouble was in 2007, Piazza Navona in Rome. I had just gone to the ATM at the north end of the Piazza to get cash for a painting my wife wanted. I walked back to her and got my wallet out to pay. After paying the artist and retrieving our package, we needed to check the map for our next destination. When I reached into my back pocket for the map I had folded up in there, it was gone! I never felt a thing! Luckily, the map was all I had in my back pocket having learned from reading this forum to carry my wallet in my front pocket while traveling Europe! Thank God for Cruise Critic and all of you who contribute to this wonderful community! :)

First of all "Duh"- the purses they sell on the street are fakes of course. What do you think Prada does trunk shows now? It is stupid tourists that keep these side-walk salesmen in business.

If I wanted a Prada purse I'd buy one from a reputable store. I wouldn't want a fake or a "stolen" Prada, which that is what they would be if someone were selling a real one on the street.

Venice is a safe place but I don't like that these salesmen from Africa are everywhere bugging me. If anyone is going to hassle me- they should at least be real Venetians.

Archived