Beware of pickpockets at Rome Termini!

DonRobertoSanJuan

We have been in trains all over France and Italy, and some going to and from Barcelona. Usually very graffitied on the outside, obviously well used on the inside. But we always get to our destination and enjoy the ride.

But we had occasion to take a train from A Coruna, Spain to Santiago de Compostela, when our TA had to be diverted from Cork, Ireland due to a storm. What a beauty that train was. Everyone remarked on how immaculate it was, the bathrooms were sparkling, everything looked brand new. I was so surprised that in a country where the economic woes are broadcast on our evening news on a regular basis, their trains were works of art! So you never know what you're going to be surprised with next.

It's true that you never know. After days of dealing with poor old sad Circumvesuviana line (slow downs, cancelled runs, packed trains, graffiti'd cars), I was very pleasantly surprised to get on the train at Sorrento one day and find some brand new rolling stock:

P1050967.JPG

Not luxurious, for sure, but clean, new, and comfortable. :)

Wow, that looks NOTHING like the Circumvesuviana train we took!! But exactly what the Spanish one looked like. It's a nice surprise when you get it.

Last time we did the Eurostar from Paris to London, the difference between 2nd class and 'business' was negligible so we went for it, very very nice. This time, I booked ahead and the difference was several hundred dollars so we booked 2nd. The guy across from me and I had a 2.5 hour battle about where to put our feet! It worked, and it was only $132 (dollars!) for both of us, but the experience was NOT the same! Nevertheless, we still arrived in the same 2.5 hours and it's very hard for me to justify the extra $$$ (on a six week trip costing a fortune already) to upgrade.

I agree about not escalating issues. An Australian girl died yesterday in Thailand in a bag snatch gone wrong. She was stabbed in the heart.:(

I think you need to use common sense about it. I'm not suggesting fighting with armed robbers, but my suggestion of quickly turning towards someone you feel is a potential pickpocket is a tried and true method of scaring them off. The act of surprise against your opponent is one of the best defenses you can have.

As to my husband shoving the gypsy woman in Rome, I'm not sure what our choices would have been. We used all possible tactics to get them to leave us alone and the woman was within inches when he used his chest to "body check" her. It was light, she simply was pushed back a few paces as opposed to knocked to the ground. I'm not sure what they were expecting, but it was enough that between that and my tunring around and moving fairly aggressively towards the other woman, they decided they didn't want to mess with us and left. I'm not sure what other option we had, short of letting them take what they wanted--which wasn't going to happen in a crowded area with hotel security 75 feet away.

In Barcelona we were getting on an elevator when 3 young girls pushed their way on in front of us.

My wife felt one of them reaching for her wallet and they grabbed a bill out before she could stop them. She yelled and I grabbed one of the girls by the pony tail and hauled her up to the front desk 2 floors up.

The manager basically said you can spend all day pressing charges and they will be released anyway, or let her go now and go on with your vacation. We lost 20 euros but she had 10 on her so we took that and let her go. Saw her and her crew about an hour late going down Las Ramblas.

My wife said we should of at least took her shoes. :)

Just returned from Celebrity Solstice 12 night Mediterranean. Purchase a money belt and keep your money hidden under your clothing in these ports as well as Spain. The Solstice sold Samsonite money belts in their gift shp for about $11. We found ours at REI and also a wonderful slim Swiss Army backpack for across our front at Target. Many people wore their full backpacks in front to protect them. Pick-pocketing is really rampant - they will close in on you in crowds and find a way into even your fanny pack. In Spain, the servers at many restaurants kept warning people to keep your their belongings close - in your lap, under the table between your legs, etc. Do not have your purse hanging loosely off your shoulder. A lady on our cruise was looking for a way to cut off her suitcase locks as her purse containing the keys, passport and money was grabbed away. BE CAREFUL!

Europe is not the only place one has to be cautious. I would take the same precautions in any large city in the USA as I would in Europe. We have done two land trips in Italy and France, on our own, and will do another in September. We have never had any problems. We watch our luggage at all times and are aware of our surroundings, just as we would do here in this country. Thieves only get away with things from unsuspecting tourists who set themselves up to problems. Just be alert to all that is going on around you when traveling anywhere in this big, wonderful world.

I strongly disagree that Rome, Barcelona or Rio are like any city in the U.S. in terms of pickpocketing. The precautions you need to take exceed those in most big cities in the world. Since this is an Italy thread, I'll just comment on Italy. Venice is a beautiful city where you would take normal precautions. Rome requires extra precautions. It doesn't matter if the handbag hanging on your shoulder cannot be cut off....... some people will ride a bicycle at very fast speeds, grab onto your shoulder strap and keep going (throwing you down in the process).

Maybe you and/or your friends did not have a problem, but a large percentage of tourists do. Better to be safe than sorry. No purses ....... keep money and credit cards inside of your clothing (many things available to accommodate this). Do not put your camera down -- even for a second. If someone is able to pull the camera from your hands, they will do it.

Rome is an incredibly interesting city -- one that everyone should visit. If you take precautions, you will not have any problem in Rome. If you pretend that you are in New York, you will be a target.

All of these instances are why I NEVER carry a handbag on vacation, and seldom at home! Here's a challenge for the ladies. Go get your purse and look in it. What is in there that you absolutely HAVE to have on a 10 hour port day? A lipstick? A Kleenex? Those go in your pocket. Some money or a credit card and your seapass? Those can go in a little travel pouch that clips onto your bra straps. Some medication? Take the few pills you need in 10 hours and put them in your pocket. You really don't NEED to be hauling around the gigantic totebags that are all the rage now! If you need a water bottle or a guidebook or a sweater, buy a cheap backpack but don't put anything of any value in it.

If you really really think about it, you really don't need much while you're off the ship!!! This way, you can relax and enjoy yourself without having to worry about protecting and defending your 'stuff'!

As someone who had their bag slashed off them in Vietnam, this crime happens wherever there is the opportunity.

There are warnings for tourists in some countries -- not all. Crime certainly happens all over the world but it is rare in some places and rampant in others. Apparently you are right on about Vietnam. According to a report from Reuters a couple of years ago, the top 10 places to be picketpocketed are:

1. Barcelona, Spain

2. Rome, Italy

3. Prague, Czech Republic

4. Madrid, Spain

5. Paris, France

6. Florence, Italy

7. Buenos Aires, Argentina

8. Amsterdam, Holland

9. Athens, Greece

10. Hanoi, Vietnam

In terms of Rome, here is a brief article:

2. Italy, Rome

Pickpockets are an increasing problem in Italy. In addition to Florence (number 6 in our list), Rome is the countries busiest tourist center. But that is not all it is – it is also a heaven for pickpockets. The pickpocketing problem in Rome is so big that it is mentioned in almost all materials intended for tourists. The thieves however are almost never local – they are poor immigrants looking for a way to make a living.

The pickpocketing problem is especially big in public transport. The inner city bus number 64 is known as “the wallet express” – it is the best way to get rid of your money.

Technique used to steal your money in Rome:

A young gypsy girl or a woman near you will appear to trip and accidentally drop her baby – it almost seems that she throws the baby into your arms.

You reach to save it from falling and in the process drop whatever is currently in your hands. The accomplices quickly pick up whatever you dropped, go through your things and leave.

You will of course realize that instead of a baby you are holding a doll.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/119026-top-10-countries-have-your-wallet-stolen-pickpockets.html#ixzz1ysNcksXt

Its funny with Vietnam. The bag snatch was on our last couple of days, but the whole time we were in Vietnam we didn't feel safe. Eg, our towels and sandals were stolen while we were swimming at a water park. Our sandals were stolen again at our hotel pool. We were circled by a gang of about four men in one of the markets in Nha Trang . We could see them circling us and we would dodge them by cutting through a corridor. And then we would see another one from a different direction. We eventually got quite worried and we both ran from the market and into a taxi. The driver yelled at us to shut the doors because he could see them running after us. Just as I shut the door the leader banged into the door but the driver took off. Vietnam is a beautiful place but parts of very threatening.

I am also commenting on an Aussie forum and the same topics being discussed. Must be topical at the moment. I guess with all the unemployment in Europe its going to happen.

Am surprised that two of the cities where I was victimized are not on the list--London, UK and Hong Kong. I agree that Rome has some aggressive thieves and pick pockets. They do seem to prefer quiet, unsuspecting victims with visible targets (handbag, wallet, camera) rather than aware people that appear to have nothing of value to steal. Keeping valuables on your body, under your clothing in such situations can save a LOT of grief and $$$.

My husband and adult son backpacked through India for four weeks over Christmas this year. Neither shaved for four weeks, and the carried all their possessions all the time. You would think they would be targets, but with their gnarly beards and buffs they wore on their heads, no one dared go anywhere near them!

Will be traveling in Europe for a month. 12 days cruise and rest on land, by train etc.

I plan on taking a lot of photo's, I bought a new DSLR camera with extra lens and plan on using it all the time. I can take precautions for money, credit cards, passports etc...by using the under clothing pouches etc....but I am concerned about what to do with the camera.

It is a fairly large camera, and I have a camera bag with the extra lens & accessories etc that I was going to carry on me instead of any purse or handbag. Now I am concerned that having the bag & camera will attract attention from the pickpocketers. I assume that all people who travel have camera's...so I technically shouldnt stick out any more than the average person?

In any event, I dont want to have my bag stolen, or straps cut off or whatever else they try to do. Do I wear the camera strap around my neck and just hold onto my camera at all times? I really dont want to leave my bag & extra lens behind BUT I dont want them to get stolen either...

just confused...I travel a fair bit and consider myself cautious....BUT the posts I have read on the places I intend on visiting just sound like you cant walk anywhere in Rome, Venice, Spain without being pickpocketed or robbed?

Advisable to carry camera bag?

Will be traveling in Europe for a month. 12 days cruise and rest on land, by train etc.

I plan on taking a lot of photo's, I bought a new DSLR camera with extra lens and plan on using it all the time. I can take precautions for money, credit cards, passports etc...by using the under clothing pouches etc....but I am concerned about what to do with the camera.

It is a fairly large camera, and I have a camera bag with the extra lens & accessories etc that I was going to carry on me instead of any purse or handbag. Now I am concerned that having the bag & camera will attract attention from the pickpocketers. I assume that all people who travel have camera's...so I technically shouldnt stick out any more than the average person?

In any event, I dont want to have my bag stolen, or straps cut off or whatever else they try to do. Do I wear the camera strap around my neck and just hold onto my camera at all times? I really dont want to leave my bag & extra lens behind BUT I dont want them to get stolen either...

just confused...I travel a fair bit and consider myself cautious....BUT the posts I have read on the places I intend on visiting just sound like you cant walk anywhere in Rome, Venice, Spain without being pickpocketed or robbed?

In some cities I would be extra careful and probably leave some of the equipment back at the hotel. For example, I wouldn't be concerned in major areas of Paris but I would in Barcelona. Can you get a bag to carry in the front of you so you can grip it when need be.

Keith

I think that the issue is that with travel, we just get a bit stressed, distracted, trying to take the best photo, jet lagged, and look like wealthy people. Add all that together and we are targets. This time I am travelling simply. No handbag. Camera is small, but very good, and will sit around my neck and under my clothes. Just a few notes in reasonably accessible places. It doesn't take much to distract us and with the language barrier too, not really knowing where we are going, well, I almost expect to experience, something?:confused:

I can only speak for Rome and Venice, but you're really unlike to be mugged/attacked in those two cities, especially in daylight. Stealthy pickpockets who are gone before you realise your money has gone with them are far more likely.

I can only speak for Rome and Venice, but you're really unlike to be mugged/attacked in those two cities, especially in daylight. Stealthy pickpockets who are gone before you realise your money has gone with them are far more likely.

Yes, we're talking about pickpockets and theft in this thread.

We visited three "major" cities on our recent trip, Rome, Venice, and Athens.

Rome was hands down far and away the worst. We felt like we could never let down our guard from the scammers and thieves, they were pervasive and in some cases, very aggressive. Whether we were in the Vatican, on a bus, or just walking on a street, we felt like we had to treat everyone as suspect. At the Trevi Fountain I could literally feel the hands skimming lightly across my body looking for a pocket, it was packed like a can or sardines, a pickpockets dream. I believe that Rome has a very, very serious problem that they need to get a grip on.

Venice was the same way in San Marco Piazza. Very crowded and full of tourists ripe for the picking with plenty of people more than happy to relieve someone of a wallet.

Athens didn't seem as bad. Granted we generally weren't in crowded places except at the Acropolis, but there weren't as many gypsies, beggars, or scammers and they were not aggressive when we did encounter them. Overall we felt much less likely to be pickpocketed or robbed in Athens than Rome or even Venice.

As far as the camera, I carried a Nikon D300 with a grip and an 18-200 lens. One lens for everything. Depending on where we were I either carried it on my shoulder with my hand on it or when we were in a situation where it could easily be grabbed I wrapped the strap around my wrist and carried it by the grip.

I did not carry a bag with me, I used a single "does it all" lens. I carried one extra memory card in my pocket or my crossbody bag and left the full memory cards in our cabin or hotel room safe.

By the way, it's going to cause a lot of neck strain carrying a DSL camera around you neck day after day. It's just as safe over the shoulder with a hand on it or with the strap around your wrist and carrying it in your hand.

When walking around any major city in Europe in the crowds, it is well to beware of pickpockets.

On public transportation, I actually think Naples and Athens are right up there with Barcelona. Paris and Rome would probably follow in the next tier.

In Rome I've seen a big decrease in pickpocketings in recent years because it was made a priority for a while, but perhaps it is on the upswing again.

Pacsafe makes a great camera bag - http://pacsafe.com/camsafe-100-anti-theft-camera-bag

Archived