Any holiday children updates?

its_my_dime

Hi Jim -

I couldn't believe how downright "nasty" this thread has gotten. Did you get the same offer from Sea Dream management - a $500 credit on a future voyage (total, not per person) that we did? We are still working on putting together a family charter for the summer of 2007.

Absent a charter, I think Sea Dream would be fine on an European non-holiday voyage and on non holiday weeks but I don't want to take the risk of locking in airfare and then having to change if there were going to be more than a couple of children on board.

Hope you and L also have a great summer -- have you guys done an all inclusive adults only resort? we've started researching those since my better half's winter and spring holidays are spring breaks.

Talk soon

FT

This is my first posting to this board although I have been lurking for some time.

Jim, your review of your cruise to the Mayan Riviera last December really got me excited about the idea of cruising with SeaDream and my husband and I were very interested in one of the Croatia cruises this Summer or a Winter Caribbean cruise. However, since reading on this Board about the possibility of numerous children or incentive groups invading such small, expensive ships we shall not be spending our hard earned money on booking with SeaDream.

We have recently returned from our first cruise with Seabourn, which we loved, but, as you alluded to in your post, I have raised the question of children on Seabourn on the Seabourn Board in the hope that we can avoid any cruises on which there might be more children than usual.

There were only 2 young children on our last Seabourn cruise and so far it appears that Seabourn does not attract many children due to its formal dining.

Look forward to seeing whether SeaDream takes any account of the feelings being expressed on this Board.

J&L --

On your Med booking -- you should get the credit - its in the literature about the 5% discount when booking on board. Put it in writing -- if its already hit your charge card, dispute the amount.

on the $500 future voyage credit - I consider it a puny amount - but our complaint made its way up to the President (not the owner). Put it in writing and ask for them for at least the same as we've received.

I'm still struggling with how to handle -- remember my profession. I do think the marketing materials are very misleading and I think Sea Dream management is ignoring the possible ramifications. I was also very irritated by the fact that the famillies did not pay full tariff for the children (which may have kept the numbers down) but . . .remember the family who bought at "auction" and paid significantly less than the rest of us did (or at least according to their story). Anyway, I'd like the Sea Dream management to do what's right.

Have fun -

FT

FT

Sorry I got it wrong. I did get the 5% on board booking, just not the $500 for the trouble discount. Maybe I should write Larry Pimentel. Have been corresponding with Bob Lepisto. Really wish they would become managerial and fix this mess. Really love SD otherwise.

J & L.

It is amazing the amount of responses and views this thread has received. As well as the turn in tone ... which was quite a surprise to me as I have found folks in this little community very helpful.

I agree that there is a disconnect between SeaDream marketing and SeaDream management and SeaDream operations (meaning the captain and crew) in terms of the children issue. The captain said to us during our Dec. 2004 cruise that these ships are no place for children ... now if I were cynical I guess I would reason that he was just saying that to my face. But I really do believe that due to all the reasons cited ... these ships are just not for children.

One of the reasons DH and I decided on the Nov. 6, 2005 sailing is that we figured that since this is a repositioning cruise (West Palm to STT) and the school calendar that it might not be as popular for folks who opt to cruise with their children. Also, since airfare is much more expensive with an open ended ticket (Arrive West Palm depart STT) that large groups might not find it as attractive from a logistics and cost point of view. Who knows ... I could be off base.

I haven't called SeaDream to ask about the compisition of the group as DH and I are locked in because of his schedule, my schedule and more importantly my parents' schedule (they will watch our DD while we are away).

I really LOVE the concept of SeaDream ... and I am hoping that they really deliver this time. If not ... we will have to look elsewhere for our annual adults only retreat ... Seabourn doesn't thrill me with the dressing for dinner and the whole smoking issue. Guess we will have to go back to chartering a 50-foot monohull in the BVI if this doesn't work.

Hey FT ... any chance we can weasel in on that family charter;)

. And oh by the way, while on board Sea Dream I, we heard from several staff members who were not happy with disruptions that management had permitted "special holiday tariffs" for the children -- so we know they weren't paying full price. Frequent Traveler

I have trouble reconciling "special holiday tariffs for children" with SeaDream's statements that they try to discourage individuals and travel agents from booking children by telling them that SD has no special facilities for them.

Do we know anyone who actually received or at least was offered this special tariff?

ITM -

There were several families from Mexico on board -- the grandmother was a wonderful woman and on the first night (during the life boat exercise) we spoke a great deal -- one of their family members had take our original cabin (we moved up a floor from the cabin we had had booked for nine months). Yes, they came becasue they received a "wonderful" rate for all the children -- this group between them had 17 of the under 18s on board. I couldn't believe it - until we spoke with several staff members who confirmed that special holiday rates were made available at Christmas and Easter.

FT

My Goodness, when I posted I had not read prior posts on this board or I never would have posted now knowing after reading it's my dimes prior posts on children. I truley posted here and came to this board as a friend said there were frindly informative people here and on Seabourns board. And with our prior sailing history with both lines they were surprized we had not heard of CC. Fortunantly my family does not even consider the price of travel we worked hard are are really blessed that we do not worry about the price. I am not saying that to be rude but a prior post brought up the price. When we travel we usually take some of our staff with us,especially when traveling with our children, so our children are well supervised by not only their loving family but loving staff.

a charlatan by any other name ...

• 8 months later...
I'm really curious. Why would you take your kids on SeaDream but not on Seabourn or Silversea? SeaDream is the smallest of the group and has the fewest facilities to deal with children.

HUH? Unless your paying exclusive passage, or chartering a ship, you are merely paying passage to share a ship. "They" will not be checking with you for approval with whom you're sailing.

Time to go smaller and charter a yacht.

Mr. Pete, what you say has some truth, but feel free to read the history of this thread and topic. One major problem many of us have regarding Seadreams is their own printed literature in the past advertising the Seadream experience as one involving "55 discerning couples".

Sea-hawk

something the cruise line has complete control over and delivering something else.

Now that's a new one. Someone must be doing background checks that I'm not aware of.

Besides your pictures, are there age requirements listed? Too old....too young?

Now I'm the one looking for the break.....

Now that's a new one. Someone must be doing background checks that I'm not aware of.

Besides your pictures, are there age requirements listed? Too old....too young?

Now I'm the one looking for the break.....

Clearly you do not understand the dynamics of a Sea Dream Yachting adventure. These are not Carnival giants, but intimate yachts that carry at most 110 passengers. There are no facilities for children and the company markets themselves for 55 "discerning couples". (Their words, not mine.) While not so specifically stated, couples, implies a pair of adults, not a family.

Until you have been on Sea Dream you cannot realize the limitations and the difficulties that childern and young adults face.

Fellow SeaDream Cruisers,

I have been sitting on my hands for months now and I have to speak up.

To all those who are concerned with sailing with children....

No matter what any cruise line's advertisements say, whether it be SeaDreams's "discerning couples" or Silversea's "fine Italian cruising" one can never choose their fellow cruisemates... UNLESS you either own or charter your own yacht.

Now, educated cruisers know that certain times of the year as well as certain destinations will enable more family cruising. This is not a job of the cruise line to predict nor notify customers. Cruising is a business and therefore cannot discriminate.

I do not want to elaborate on behavior patterns of children nor adults. Both can be good AND bad.

I feel that SeaDream has been singled out because of it's size and demographics. It has been assumed that any amount of children can ruin the atmosphere of this yacht.

I plead to the "informed consumer". If for any reason you cannot stomach the sight or bahavior of children...charter or purchase your own sailing vessel. If you have an aversion (not life threatening) to children...stay away from holiday sailings to more traveled destinations on ANY cruise line.

OK. I'm ready for the blasting. But before you do. I am not only a parent with children but have cruised many different cruise lines and know that I can NEVER choose nor predict who will be in the next cabin.

Actually, I have to chime in. I sailed SeaDream with a very limited amount of guests (67 I think) 6 of which were under the age of 14. Never a problem, and nice to see them have so much fun! (was a Carribean cruise)

Host Dan

I have watched the Kids on SeaDream Bashing for almost a year

now...Seems like the same old people keep posting and reminding me that kids are kids...

Having only been on 4 SeaDream voyages, I must be the luckest guy at Sea when it comes to crusing without the younger set...Of course I keep away from the cruise dates of spring breaks and the national holidays when daddy or grandpa takes the family on vacation...Boy are we spoiled...Don't like kids then go to one of those Couples only land based operations...(I have and they are somewhat of a joke)...

I agree with the last few posts, that because of the intimate size of SeaDream, kids stick out like a sore thumb. I know that SeaDream does not actively look for children to cruise as they really do not have any kids programs setup onboard.

It seems that our regular posters are showing more of a Spoiled Kids mentality than the Kids who have been aboard...Next time go up to the parents and give them a peice of you mind but it is time to leave SeaDream out of this...

I am really looking forward to my next voyage and maybe I will bring all of my extended family...Just kidding, but if you can't enjoy yourself on those SeaDream Yachts than you probally can't ever enjoy yourself.

Smile,

LUX:)

Archived