Boston hotel pre-cruise?

zebra

We will be in Boston in October 2012.

Which hotels would you recommend in Boston for a pre-cruise stay. We would like to be relatively close to the port, but more important would be for the hotel to be very close to lots of restaurant choices and good shopping, with access to transport to the Quincy market.

All your reviews and suggestions would be appreciated.

When in October are you cruising? If you are looking for a room in Boston October 20-21, be forewarned that is Head of the Charles weekend, and availability will be scarce.

With regards to the location, close to the port is not necessarily close to lots of restaurant choices and good shopping, but within easy transportation.

All I can say is book soon. Fall in Boston is a very busy/popular time and prices will just keep going up. There's not much near the port that's of interest and better hotels for eating/sightseeing are an easy cab ride away.

What are your exact dates? It looks like you're sailing on the Jewel on 10/21. What is your budget? As 1025cruise said, that's a bad weekend - you need to make a decision quickly to secure some sort of reasonable hotel. The downtown hotels will all have access to restaurants, shopping, and Quincy Market even if it's via the "T".

I almost stayed at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront once, and seem to remember that there seemed to be a few interesting restaurants in the area and pretty good transport links. If you follow the instructions I give in this post and use AA.com as your comparison site, you can get it for $206.38, not bad considering that it's over $400 on the Marriott site.

As I've said previously, I've been burned personally by Head of the Charles, so I'm more than happy to warn people.

However, I am curious to know what is booking most hotels this week. My company is doing an event Tuesday night in Newton, and then I have to be in Bedford Wednesday morning. Since I'm about an hour out, I decided to grab a room for the night versus driving home late and getting up early. I found 0 availability anywhere near the area.

I almost stayed at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront once, and seem to remember that there seemed to be a few interesting restaurants in the area and pretty good transport links. If you follow the instructions I give in this post and use AA.com as your comparison site, you can get it for $206.38, not bad considering that it's over $400 on the Marriott site.

Having just been in Boston recently I was really surprised at how many new restaurants are now in the area - there used to be nothing - but that has really changed. We ate at the new Legal Seafoods and it was nice.

As I've said previously, I've been burned personally by Head of the Charles, so I'm more than happy to warn people.

However, I am curious to know what is booking most hotels this week. My company is doing an event Tuesday night in Newton, and then I have to be in Bedford Wednesday morning. Since I'm about an hour out, I decided to grab a room for the night versus driving home late and getting up early. I found 0 availability anywhere near the area.

There's a giant biotech conference it looks like today-Thursday

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We will be there for 1 night pre-cruise - October 20th. As we are doing a back to back we will have another full day in Boston before our 2nd leg.

We are very interested in the position of the Marriott Copley place. Checked their rate today and it's $339 for a senior rate. I then went to aa.com and check their rate which is $399 (no option for senior rate). So it doesn't look like we can score from Twickenham's plan.

All the restaurants in the area are what we are looking for. Especially seafood that Boston is known for!!!! Any suggestions? Our other main thing that we want to do in our short time in Boston is go to Quincy Market - so having said this, do you think there's a good hotel close to the market and also close to good seafood (maybe at the market????). If it's cheaper to stay in that area in a GOOD hotel - then we would be open to do that .... as long as we don't have to forego the great Boston seafood :D:D Have I said that enough yet ;)

I am going to carry on researching hotels today and then jump on a booking. If anyone finds something else that would suit us, please post as I feel we should probably book by the end of the day.

I truly appreciate the locals helping us out .... you guys are great!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We will be there for 1 night pre-cruise - October 20th. As we are doing a back to back we will have another full day in Boston before our 2nd leg.

We are very interested in the position of the Marriott Copley place. Checked their rate today and it's $339 for a senior rate. I then went to aa.com and check their rate which is $399 (no option for senior rate). So it doesn't look like we can score from Twickenham's plan.

All the restaurants in the area are what we are looking for. Especially seafood that Boston is known for!!!! Any suggestions? Our other main thing that we want to do in our short time in Boston is go to Quincy Market - so having said this, do you think there's a good hotel close to the market and also close to good seafood (maybe at the market????). If it's cheaper to stay in that area in a GOOD hotel - then we would be open to do that .... as long as we don't have to forego the great Boston seafood :D:D Have I said that enough yet ;)

I am going to carry on researching hotels today and then jump on a booking. If anyone finds something else that would suit us, please post as I feel we should probably book by the end of the day.

I truly appreciate the locals helping us out .... you guys are great!!!

Near the Marriott Copley I found the Revere Hotel (formerly the Radisson - just reopened) for $319 - advance purchase.

Near Faneuil Hall I found the Omni Parker House for $349 and the Millennium Bostonian for $368 (AAA rate).

These rates are all so high due to the time of year.

If I find anything else I'll post it.

The Renaissance hotel is on aa.com for $275. This is a Marriott Hotel, so perhaps Twickenham's strategy would work since the Marriott website has this hotel for $449. This hotel is close to the pier as well as seafood restaurants like Legal Seafood Test Kitchen, Anthony's Pier 4, and the No Name restaurant on the Boston Fish Pier. With the money you save, you can take a cab to Quincy Market. No matter where you stay in Boston, you will want to travel someplace else at some time. The Silver Line T is a block away from the Renaissance which has direct service to the terminals at Logan for $2/pp instead of a cab. You may be able to see the ship from the hotel.

The Renaissance is a 4* hotel in a safe area.

138east & Twickenham - thank you both for so much help you have given. Soooo, let's see. I booked the Renaissance for the awful amount of $449 for the night and then followed Twickenhams plan with the aa.com $275 rate - now I play the waiting game, this is going to be the longest 24 hours, that's for sure! Thanks again .... watch this space ....

138east & Twickenham - thank you both for so much help you have given. Soooo, let's see. I booked the Renaissance for the awful amount of $449 for the night and then followed Twickenhams plan with the aa.com $275 rate - now I play the waiting game, this is going to be the longest 24 hours, that's for sure! Thanks again .... watch this space ....

I have been wondering if the LNF guarantee works with hotels not named "Marriott" so will be sure to look for your reply. Good luck!

Boston University and other schools have their Parents Weekend that weekend also.

As has been said, that weekend is Head of the Charles, find a room and book it. If you want Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, the Marriot Long Wharf is nice.

If you put in the claim tonight, you should have the answer by noon tomorrow :).

I have been wondering if the LNF guarantee works with hotels not named "Marriott" so will be sure to look for your reply. Good luck!

Pretty much any Marriott brand is eligible - I think the only one not eligible is the Executive Apartments. Indeed, I've actually had a claim accepted for this Renaissance, and my latest successful claim was for the Algonquin in New York, part of the Autograph Collection.

Wow I am pretty surprised - I was denied on the grounds that aa.com listed it as a standard room (they had no alternatives) and on checking the Renaissance website of available rooms there are no rooms listed as standard. So it's back to the drawing board for me ...... too bad.

Wow I am pretty surprised - I was denied on the grounds that aa.com listed it as a standard room (they had no alternatives) and on checking the Renaissance website of available rooms there are no rooms listed as standard. So it's back to the drawing board for me ...... too bad.

Well, that sucks. I didn't even see that they weren't the same room type, because there's no standard rooms available on marriott.com, and no harbor view available on aa.com (had there been, it would have worked). Oh well, keep looking, and they might add availability on either of the websites.

Just wanted to give you feedback that we eventually chose The Langham Boston - the rates for our date are all outrageous due to the regatta but hey we went with one of the more "reasonably priced" hotels close to Quincy Market.

Thanks Bostonians (Bostonites???) for all your help. One last question is there somewhere in Quincy Market that makes a GREAT Lobster Roll??

Just wanted to give you feedback that we eventually chose The Langham Boston - the rates for our date are all outrageous due to the regatta but hey we went with one of the more "reasonably priced" hotels close to Quincy Market.

Thanks Bostonians (Bostonites???) for all your help. One last question is there somewhere in Quincy Market that makes a GREAT Lobster Roll??

The Langham is very nice - stayed there a few years ago. There was nightly turn-down service and we still have the slippers left for us! :D

Archived