Miami hotel recommendation

seascot

My husband and I will be going on our first Oceania cruise in February 2013. We would appreciate any advise regarding pre cruise hotels in Miami. We shall be flying in from Scotland two days prior to the cruise and would like to stay in the South Beach area. We are in our early fifties, so not looking for nightlife but would like a comfortable hotel near to restaurants and shops. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

My husband and I will be going on our first Oceania cruise in February 2013. We would appreciate any advise regarding pre cruise hotels in Miami. We shall be flying in from Scotland two days prior to the cruise and would like to stay in the South Beach area. We are in our early fifties, so not looking for nightlife but would like a comfortable hotel near to restaurants and shops. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Miami-Beach-South-beach-ocean_drive.jpg

If you're not looking for nightlife and the "scene" that comes with it, I'd suggest that you avoid South Beach altogether . The area is crowded, noisy and congested with an endless parade of posing teen and twentysomethings. Marvelous eye candy, but it gets tired fast

miami_hotel_exterior.jpg the InterContinenal Hotel, on the other hand, is a beautiful, perfectly situated property that directly overlooks the Port of Miami,

http://www.intercontinental.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/overview/miami

135645.jpg

specifically berth J , which is the one that Oceania uses.

112227.jpg This photograph of the Marina, while moored at that berth, was taken from pool deck of the Intercontinental.

1156576693.jpg

It is also walk-able to the Bayside Marketplace, which is chock-a-block with traditional shops, street vendors and restaurants.

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

I enjoyed my stay at the Crown Plaza/Z Ocean South Beach. The hotel can be very expensive but I got a good deal with one of the wholesalers.

The additional resort fee includes chair service on the beach.

For my next cruise out of Miami, I will be staying at the Anglers Boutique which is very highly rated.

Unfortunately, many of the chain hotels are very expensive and rarely go on sale and many of the small, boutique hotels are constrained by the orginal concrete art deco buildings.

While Ocean drive can be a bit much, the beach is beautiful and Lincoln Road Mall great for strolling and dining. I probably would not stay right on Ocean Drive as it can be very noisy.

I always recommend checking the large ratings sites to find out what works for you.

I personally love waking up every day and going for an early morning beach walk - South Beach is wonderful for this. You could literally walk for hours.

We stayed on that strip of lovely old Art Deco hotels in South Beach a few years ago. It was December. I thought it was fantastic. Yes, there were bars and nightclubs up the strip, but nobody is going to force you to go in. I found it very interesting and would stay there again. We stayed at the Beacon. It was very quiet once we were in the hotel. We had a nice Cuban meal in a place a block or two inland from the strip.

We just booked two nights at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami/Brickell. Very reasonable rates (including free breakfest) and an easy walk to restaurants, bars and shopping. 15 minutes from Miami airport.

Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor.

Heres a trick that I use..I go to Priceline.com to the bidding section and ask for any 4 star hotel in Miami near the port..

I have gotten some fabulous prices and stayed at the Intercontinental and Marriott several times

Jancruz1

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I shall definitely look at all your suggestions. I am so excited about our first cruise on Riviera. We are on the Silhouette next month, but all I'm thinking about is our cruise on Riviera! I convinced my husband to book a PH suite, so really looking forward to that. I was able to see the Marina when it docked in South Queensferry where we live. Unfortunately, it was a typical Scottish rainy day when it was in port, but I'm sure the weather will be a lot better in the Caribbean.

Since the OP is from Scotland this may be their first time in the area and I think two nights would be much more interesting in South Beach, crowded as it is (which may be an advantage) than in the port area. The best restaurants, night life and people watching is there. I'd recommend either the Ritz Carlton, Delano or Tides.

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I shall definitely look at all your suggestions. I am so excited about our first cruise on Riviera. We are on the Silhouette next month, but all I'm thinking about is our cruise on Riviera! I convinced my husband to book a PH suite, so really looking forward to that. I was able to see the Marina when it docked in South Queensferry where we live. Unfortunately, it was a typical Scottish rainy day when it was in port, but I'm sure the weather will be a lot better in the Caribbean.

My husband and I will be on the Riviera too on Feb 12 2013. We project visiting Scotland next summer on the land not via a cruise so my question is what is the better month for sunny days?

Hi Anna

Our weather has been so unpredictable this year. We were actually able to sit out in the garden in March this year which is really unusual. June, so far, has been disappointing, so cold and wet. Yesterday and the day before were really warm and sunny, but today it's cloudy. Our problem here is that we never get long spells of sunny weather - the temperature can change dramatically from day to day. But, generally I would say anytime from May to July would be the best time to visit Scotland. Edinburgh is a beautiful city regardless of the weather and in the Highlands the scenery is stunning. In August Edinburgh is full of tourists visiting for the Edinburgh Festival and hotels are more expensive at this time. So if you're not coming for the Festival, I would say avoid Edinburgh in August. But I'm sure whatever the weather, you'll love Scotland.

Hi Anna

Our weather has been so unpredictable this year. We were actually able to sit out in the garden in March this year which is really unusual. June, so far, has been disappointing, so cold and wet. Yesterday and the day before were really warm and sunny, but today it's cloudy. Our problem here is that we never get long spells of sunny weather - the temperature can change dramatically from day to day. But, generally I would say anytime from May to July would be the best time to visit Scotland. Edinburgh is a beautiful city regardless of the weather and in the Highlands the scenery is stunning. In August Edinburgh is full of tourists visiting for the Edinburgh Festival and hotels are more expensive at this time. So if you're not coming for the Festival, I would say avoid Edinburgh in August. But I'm sure whatever the weather, you'll love Scotland.

Thank you very much I take note of this great information probably will be there in July 2013

I'm also doing an overnight stay in Miami before a cruise the first of FEB. I'm discovering this is their peak season with rates quite high. 3 to 4 star hotels from 250-450 depending on the location. These are properties most times I could get on Priceline for 85-125.

Good luck with your search.

• 1 month later...

If visiting Miami I,would recommend staying in south beach. The area is much more interesting than downtown Miami.

If you have a fairly high budget level ($300 to $400 depending on season) fora room, the Loews or RitzCarlton are good choices for non party types. Both are pretty large. For a very good value, I would recommend the Cadet hotel, in the same area as the other two, but one block in from the beach. Rooms are on the small side, but very nicely appointed, and service is good. It has a very nice small dipping pool in the back...always very quiet.

For non party activities in south beach, I would recommend Lincoln Road, the art deco walking tours given by the visitor center at 10th and Ocean every morning, the Jewish Museum, and the Wolfsonian Museum.

Archived