Help!!

Pansy178

My husband and I are first time cruisers and are holidaying around Eastern Med at the beginning of July. We are also visiting Rome for a few days at the end of the cruise and were really looking forward to this until I started reading the reviews on here. The airport sounds a nightmare and goodness knows how we'll survive the pickpockets and chancers everywhere:( We are quite seasoned travellers even surviving New York (which was amazing by the way). Is it Rome really SO bad or is it going to be worth the visit??

My experience is that pickpocketing is far less of a problem in Rome now than a few years ago. But like any cities you need to be street smart. We don't wear jewelry other than my wife wearing a couple of very simple items and we keep passports locked up in the hotel safe. We use a travel wallet.

Yes, the airport can be chaotic but so can many airports around the world.

My advice is to get there three hours before your flight but I would say this in a number of airport.

Rome is wonderful. So much to do and to see. I love it.

Keith

Rome is fabulous. Message boards are great sources of information but you can't leave your critical thinking turned off while reading.

Many (most?) people think that if something happened to them once, it must happen to everyone all the time. Obviously not true, but we humans are so self-centered that we just see the world that way.

Other folks are simply wired more negatively than others; they expect to see bad and they do. Some others are just crabby.

Rome is also a major city, with all of the problems that come with that. Go and enjoy, but don't leave your common sense at home.

I agree with both of the above. People post things many times because they want to be helpful and warn others. They forget to also post the wonderful things...!

I think pickpocketing is worse in other cities now than in Rome (e.g., Barcelona and Athens for sure, possibly even Paris). That said, I take the usual precautions when in a big city.

Allow sufficient time in the airport and you won't find it a problem. I suspect it's the folks who cut it close and then spend a very anxious hour wondering whether they'll make it onto their flight who think FCO is chaotic.

For the record, I think Rome is the most wonderful place on earth and I'd spend several months a year there if I could.

My experience is that pickpocketing is far less of a problem in Rome now than a few years ago.

Ditto. The area around the Colosseum is noticably less inviting to pickpocketers. On our trip ending last week, the men who used to dress and pose as gladiators were gone completely from the plaza so the distractions were down -- and it is distractions that make any place a good opportunity for pick-pocketers.

I won't say the crowds were down; lines were still very long for admission. However, people tended to be more focused on what they were doing in that area and less likely to be simultaneoulsy looking at the building and at the gladiators and taking pictures ... and... and...

Rome......my favorite city !!!!

Agree with other posters - common sense is the ticket. We have never had a problem with pickpockets but we do follow the rules...... no flashy jewelry, don't flash the cash, keep purse close (don't put on the back of a chair or unattended on the table) and just be aware of where you are and where others are.

That is just good advice for anywhere you travel.

As for the airport, we always allow PLENTY of time to get thru check-in, security etc....... again, at any airport !!!! Those who ask "can we make it" are asking for trouble.

** fyi ** We did find Barcelona airport to be challenging !!! Even allowing PLENTY of time we still had to rush to our gate after standing in line for over 2 hours to check-in. They were S-L-O-W !!!!! And yes the pickpockets there are also challenging, but if you walk Las Ramblas you will see why.

Go to Rome, be careful and have a wonderful time !!!! It is amazing.

Rome was wonderful to visit---we had no problems with pick-pockets and scams but saw many who did---it came down to "targets of opportunity"---the folks wearing a rolex and a diamond pinky rink with a Nikon around their neck with four suitcases and a Canon video camera case were advertising for trouble----those with luggage they could handle and simple dress didn't have much attention or trouble. Pickpockets want your money or your stuff---don't flaunt either and they could care less about you--common sence goes a long way---in any place

enjoy Rome ---its wonderful---jmho

Paul

Although it seems to be in vogue these days to carry a huge purse, I do much better carrying none and thus not having to worry about it. I have a satin pouch that clips onto my bra straps if I need to carry a debit/credit card and extra euros, otherwise I just keep a few in my pocket for incidentals. A chapstick, room key, and a kleenex and I am set. This way I can relax and enjoy myself instead of being paranoid.

If we are in touchy places, DH carries his wallet in his front pocket. However, despite all the warning signs around the Louvre, he had it in his back pocket and did have a pickpocket attempt by three teenage girls. His wallet is fat and his jeans are tight (it is hard for me to dig it out when I am trying!) and he felt her trying to get into it on a staircase--we called out to the nearby security guard who chased after them but they took off at lightning speed. No harm done. We also ALWAYS in Paris get the "Oops, I found this gold ring" trick pulled on us, last time by a woman with her child, which was SO sad.

So just travel light, leave any valuables in the room/safe, be aware of your surroundings, and you wil be fine.

Thank you all so much for your sound and sensible advice. I guess as we've survived Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, London etc we'll still be cautious but can't wait to see what looks like a beautiful city.

First of all... Rome is very safe IMO. I never felt unsafe while I was there what-so-ever. So put your mind at rest.

Those that have been pickpocketed are bitter (I was in Barcelona and hate that city now) but I digress...

I spent 5 glorious days in Rome without incident. My son just came back and he had no problems in Italy at all.

There are lots of tourists by day and so the pickpockets will be in crowds where they can bump into you and steal from you while you are distracted. So when you go to the major sites- just take a few Euros and a credit card in your front pocket. In your purse carry things like bottled water, your room key, and umbrella but NOT your camera. They love digital cameras and wallets. So put a wrist band on your camera or camera bag and always wear it around your wrist. The pickpockets look for things they can grab quickly.

Thank you all so much for your sound and sensible advice. I guess as we've survived Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, London etc we'll still be cautious but can't wait to see what looks like a beautiful city.

Don't miss Rome as it is a beautiful place, church etc to see...

I have been in Barcelona and Rome, Both are so beautiful place, I saw pickpockets at Barcelona oh my god... I think it is everywhere have pickpockets!!!

Just watch your bags and don't leave over the chair or on the grounds while you eat. Wear small bag which strap over the shoulder...

Enjoy it..

Scottishwee35

Rome is so wonderful, don't miss it. I lived in Los Angeles for most of my life and it is much more dangerous here than in Rome! Keep your wits about you as you should when visiting any foreign country but do not miss Rome because it is the best city in the world!

Do yourselves a favor and stay as close to the center of Rome as possible, don't stay at the airport because you will waste precious time commuting between places. Last November we stayed at a small hotel called hotel Pantheon and it is ideally located within a few steps of the Pantheon (a don't miss site) and very close to everything a first timer to Rome wants to see, the Forum, the Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps (for me boring, Piazza Navona, and Campo Fiori.

I found this wonderful Church called Saint Ig****o, its very close to the Pantheon and its refered to as the 3D church because of the fake dome painted on the ceiling, its very beautiful and interesting to see. Here is some Wiki info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant%27Ig****o

Anyway don't miss Rome!

We just came back from Rome and the only negative thing we experienced was a scam -and we fell for it. In Villa Borghese two deaf young men asked us to write our names to a list and donate a tip. I gave one of them a few Euros and tried to go on but then they stopped us and wanted money for the other man too... It took me a few minutes to "disentangle" from them but I did in the end.

However I am not at all put off Rome because of this. I should've realised they were begging for money so it was entirely my own stupidity that I let them stop me and did not just wave them off :rolleyes: :o

We just came back from Rome and the only negative thing we experienced was a scam -and we fell for it. In Villa Borghese two deaf young men asked us to write our names to a list and donate a tip. I gave one of them a few Euros and tried to go on but then they stopped us and wanted money for the other man too... It took me a few minutes to "disentangle" from them but I did in the end.

However I am not at all put off Rome because of this. I should've realised they were begging for money so it was entirely my own stupidity that I let them stop me and did not just wave them off :rolleyes: :o

Please say you didnt put your names on their list...who gives beggars their names?

Rome is so wonderful, don't miss it. I lived in Los Angeles for most of my life and it is much more dangerous here than in Rome! Keep your wits about you as you should when visiting any foreign country but do not miss Rome because it is the best city in the world!

Do yourselves a favor and stay as close to the center of Rome as possible, don't stay at the airport because you will waste precious time commuting between places. Last November we stayed at a small hotel called hotel Pantheon and it is ideally located within a few steps of the Pantheon (a don't miss site) and very close to everything a first timer to Rome wants to see, the Forum, the Colosseum, the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps (for me boring, Piazza Navona, and Campo Fiori.

I found this wonderful Church called Saint Ig****o, its very close to the Pantheon and its refered to as the 3D church because of the fake dome painted on the ceiling, its very beautiful and interesting to see. Here is some Wiki info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant%27Ig****o

Anyway don't miss Rome!

Oops, they blocked out the spelling so I an replacing the "z" with a "c" and the name of the church is St. IgnaCio!

Former New Yorker here. Rome airport was no worse than any of the three New York airports. A bit maddening waiting for luggage, but otherwise it was fine. The Immigration people didn't even look at the passport I handed to them upside down and customs? What customs? You walk through a door without speaking to a sole after going through passports control where they don't ask a single question.

Definitely far more pickpockets and beggars in Rome than NYC or Athens. Worse than Philly (which for what it's worth is worse than NYC for beggars and especially pickpockets). But a little common sense and patience and you'll be fine. In my opinion the worst thing about Rome wasn't the petty crime, subpar airport, and crazy traffic but the smog. Rome is dirty, there is no two ways about it, and the air quality is beyond poor--reminded me of LA in the 80's.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the others...Rome is no more or no less dangerous than any other major city. If you survived New York, you can certainly enjoy Rome. Don't let the reviews scare you. Just use common sense and don't allow anyone to invade your personal 'space'. It's a great city and you shouldn't miss it.

I didn't expect to love Rome but we spent some additional time in Italy after our Med cruise last fall, and our time in Rome was spectacular. We took the train, Metro, cabs, city bus, and walked all over...never with any problems. However, I did see a pick-pocket attempt while standing in the line at St Peter's Basilica. A beautiful young woman walked up to the man waiting in line ahead of us. She put one hand on his shoulder and the other in his back pocket. When turned around, she smiled and walked off very fast and into the crowd. He was really happy that he wasn't carrying his wallet in his back pants pocket!

My husband and I are first time cruisers and are holidaying around Eastern Med at the beginning of July. We are also visiting Rome for a few days at the end of the cruise and were really looking forward to this until I started reading the reviews on here. The airport sounds a nightmare and goodness knows how we'll survive the pickpockets and chancers everywhere:( We are quite seasoned travellers even surviving New York (which was amazing by the way). Is it Rome really SO bad or is it going to be worth the visit??

My husband and I did this last June and NEVER had one issue! We thoroughly enjoyed every waking minute. Our time in Rome was at the beginning of our trip. Sure, you do have to pay attention to your surroundings and not look like a target, but do enjoy Rome etc. :):)PS I felt right at home!!!

Archived