Chefs culinary lesson

Go2See

How hard is it to get signed up for this? I know it has a cost...

Where does one sign up?

Is it worth doing?

I am taking my mom, she would like to do this... And I would like to make sure she can....

Any info at all is appreciated!

As soon as you get on the ship -- go to the front desk. They will have the menus there for you to look over. Depending on the length of your cruise depends on how many classes there will be. 99% of the time they held on sea days. The classes are limited to 12 people and cost $29 per person.

Reports:

Most people have loved them -- they are borken down into 3 groups of 4 people each. You get to prep and cook the food. After everything is done most times you get to eat the 3 courses that have been prepared. And usually the chef will supply a glass of wine.

Only a couple of times have I read where the people only got to stand aaround and watch the chef do all the cooking.

I meant to do this last cruise - I went too late and they were 'sold out'.

Definitely make this one of your first things 'to do' when you get on board.

Fellow roll call members have done it and all look forward to the next time they can do it:)

I've done it and it was a memorable morning. The 12 of us did all the hands-on prep work for a delicious meal and the Pinnacle chef was wonderful and answered lots of cooking questions as we were working. I still make the French Provencal Chicken Stew we prepared very often here at home. Sign up immediately upon boarding at the Front Desk or with the Neptune Lounge concierge if you are in a Deluxe Suite. Hope your mom has as much fun as we did!

I didn't even know there was something like this offered on board! I'm going on my first cruise on HAL in less than two weeks.. Could someone tell me a bit more about the whole Culinary Arts Center and what they do, since the information on the HAL website isn't that informative?

My niece (20) and I did it. We signed up first thing after boarding. There were only 8 in our class and 3 of them were not so hands on. The chef was funny and very laid back. We had a fantastic time. My niece butchered cornish game hens and prepared them, then worked on the salad and sides. I made the tiramisu. The Pinnacle was busy so they prepped and area in the Culinary center (we were on the Eurodam) for us to eat. It was great, like family. They put out red and white wine and the fridge was filled with bottles of water and we drank and ate. The Chef answered all our questions and gave me some great tips and told us take whatever wine or water was leftover with us if we wanted. This is the second time I have done it and if the menu is right , I would do it again. I always ask what the menu is before I sign up since they normally have 2 of them.

I didn't even know there was something like this offered on board! I'm going on my first cruise on HAL in less than two weeks.. Could someone tell me a bit more about the whole Culinary Arts Center and what they do, since the information on the HAL website isn't that informative?

If you've ever seen Emiril's show on food network, imagine that setup on a smaller scale. The cook top is situated so that the chef faces the audience. For demos, there are cameras which shoot from mirrors above the stage and project onto big screens behind the chef.

For pax cooking, everyone gets behind the cooktop and (attempts) to follow the Pinnacle Grill recipes. Big bonus is that they always pass out recipe cards for whatever has been prepared.

On our recent TransAtlantic, even the Captain and the Cruise Director were persuaded to do a cooking demo! Hilarity ensued :)

After discovering the cooking classes on my first HAL cruise, I try to take every one possible. Sharing cooking chores with people of different cultures is very interesting.

I have learned to skin salmon, flip crepes, prepare garnish, core apples, process vanilla beans, cut beef, prepare sauces, cook with wine and spirits, create molded dishes, bake cobblers and cakes, etc.

Lest you think the classes are very formal, most deteriorate into laughing at the mistakes that are made on the path to mastering techniques. The humorous comments from cruisers from diverse cultures keeps many in stitches.

Our prepared food is served in the Pinnacle Grill with free wine.

On one occasion, I took a large plate of apple cobbler, piled high with whipped cream back to my stateroom. Those on the elevator were overwhelmed with the cinnamon-sugar aroma and plied me with questions on where it was obtained. I proudly announced that I had prepared it at a cooking class!!

On some occasions, the food prepared in class was the same items on the MDR menu for the same evening.

The first stop on every cruise is at the Front Desk to register for one of the 12 cooking class slots for each of the class days (usually sea days).

AND you receive a free apron from Food and Wine magazine.

Hubby and I did a class on the Ryndam a few years ago and we had such a great time. The wine flowed freely and we got to eat our creations in the Pinnacle Grill afterward. He helped make an amazing banana dessert and I was in the appetizer group. I've made those Smoked Salmon Lollipops here at home! :cool:

You can find out the menu beforehand to help you decide if you're interested. The cooking demonstrations are fun as well, and the recipe cards are great to pick up.

We did serval cooking classes on our last cruise, as well as wine tasting. Really enjoyed both. Will be looking forward to doing them on our next cruise again. I think they are well worth the money. Hope you and your mom can do them.

Could someone tell me a bit more about the whole Culinary Arts Center and what they do, since the information on the HAL website isn't that informative?
Besides the $29 pp classes that are mainly being discussed here, there are also free cooking demonstrations (about 2 per week) in the C.A.C. that are open to all. In these the chef usually prepares two dishes, and samples are given out for one of them. Commonly there will be one entree and one dessert, but that sometimes varies. These can be very funny shows, depending on the chef.

The C.A.C. is also used for many other things such as demonstrations (e.g. flower arranging), and on some ships it is also the prime movie venue, the karaoke venue, etc.

We just finished our cruise today on the Eurodam and had signed up for the pasta making class. The class was very in depth taking us from the mixing of the flour, how to make a well to stir in the liquids on the counter, to hand kneading the dough. Then rolling the dough through the pasta machine. We made three types of pasta dough and even learned the tricks of cutting it in the pasta shapes and cooking it properly so it wouldn't stick. Also we made a couple different sauces. Along with wine, our choice of red or white, it was quite the fun class. I have taken several of the classes and look forward to them!

I had a great class on the Amsterdam in 2010, but very disappointing on the Maasdam in late 2011. The chef did it all -- even when participants asked if they could help. He finally let one person stir.

I would ask when you sign up if you really get to do the cooking. I wish I had asked for my money back.

Glad to hear many others had a much better experience.

Archived