Air buy timing

Carol & Jim

My friend and I are going on a Med cruise, I have freq flyer miles, UAL, she doesn't. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get on the same flights using my air miles and her purchasing the flights, and also, getting her the best fares. Afraid if I wait too long to book I'll lose out of available space but if we wait there could be an airfare sale and she would save $. Such a dilemma!! Any suggestions??:confused: Thanks!

Can you use your UA miles with any Star Alliance Partner? If so this will increase the number of options for you and provide your partner with route and fare alternatives. Not sure about UA, but I would not leave it too long to book your award travel.

We could never this it to sync. Best we ever did was leave and arrive within a half hour of each other-different airlines and different hubs. But this was on a long haul flight in North America.

Good luck.

Can you use your UA miles with any Star Alliance Partner?

Yes, she can, if she can find availability.

OP - I'd start searching now for award availability now because that's going to be the most difficult thing to find. It should not be a problem to purchase a ticket on your award flight; we have done this many times. It's much more difficult to try and find several award tickets on the same flight.

OP - I'd start searching now for award availability now because that's going to be the most difficult thing to find. It should not be a problem to purchase a ticket on your award flight; we have done this many times. It's much more difficult to try and find several award tickets on the same flight.

Agree, the award tickets are often the hardest part. The OP's friend could always wait a bit to see if fares drop, the tickets don't necessarily have to be purchased at the same time. Of course there's always a risk that the fare could go up.

I've heard this advice here before - decide on a price you're willing to pay and how long you're willing to wait to see if it drops. If the fare gets to that price, or if you hit your time limit, book it and be done with it. In the meantime, snag that award seat!

TATL award tickets in the summer are a tough catch, especially if you are trying for non-stops into your destination rather than a connection through a Euro-hub. As posted, that will be your first priority.

Secondly, you and your friend need to decide just what it's worth for the two of you to fly together. It may very well come to pass that seats on your flights may cost hundreds of dollars more than an alternative routing. Know what your priorities are and what you are willing to pay to be together.

Booked it today, we each got on the websites and checked my United FF flights then matched them with Luftansa flights and got a match, whew! Did have to change from departing LAX to departing SFO. The LAX flights were terrible. Thanks for all the help!! :D

Archived