Question regarding possible pricing glitch...

tgmtgm

A few months ago I managed to book a Window Suite on the Caribbean Princess for this November with zero single supplement. In fact, I paid less than the going per person dbl. occupancy rate by using an agency that discounts Princess cruises. This anomaly was available on several fall sailings. My question/concern- could Princess claim that it was a technical glitch in their computer system and pursue me for the discrepancy? All the details are correct on my personalizer as to cabin number, dining time, etc. I realize that I can ask the agency to double check for me, but I also realize that this forum is one of the best resources for getting real time experiences. Thanks!

Tony

A few months ago I managed to book a Window Suite on the Caribbean Princess for this November with zero single supplement. In fact, I paid less than the going per person dbl. occupancy rate by using an agency that discounts Princess cruises. This anomaly was available on several fall sailings. My question/concern- could Princess claim that it was a technical glitch in their computer system and pursue me for the discrepancy? All the details are correct on my personalizer as to cabin number, dining time, etc. I realize that I can ask the agency to double check for me, but I also realize that this forum is one of the best resources for getting real time experiences. Thanks!

Tony

There must have been some pricing issues. Folks on the roll call for the Oct 27th sailing of the CB claimed they got Window Suites for the SAME price as an inside. :confused:

It always amazes me how the difference in pricing can be so vast from one passenger to another on any given cruise.

At the dinner table one evening we were all discussing what we paid PP for the cruise, just for fun......turns out there's nothing funny about it, [mind you, I never do this any more, realizing that it can really anger someone who is paying top-dollar to my discounted rate!] The variable's were astounding.

It always amazes me how the difference in pricing can be so vast from one passenger to another on any given cruise.

At the dinner table one evening we were all discussing what we paid PP for the cruise, just for fun......turns out there's nothing funny about it, [mind you, I never do this any more, realizing that it can really anger someone who is paying top-dollar to my discounted rate!] The variable's were astounding.

Excellent Advise!

My TA always sends me a copy of my booking confirmation, which shows the fare, taxes and fees, and any other things such as transfers and insurance. The booking confirmation references the Passage Contract, saying that "Upon booking the Cruise, each Passenger explicitly agrees to the terms of the Passage Contract."

Tony,

Since they've since corrected the pricing error and not notified us of changes ot our bookings, I wouldn't worry about it.

I keep checking to see if there are any more of those "gllitches" but so far, nada!

Yes, and don't discuss airfares either! :p

Tony

Princess could come back and say anything as long as its not paid in full.

Have you paid your cruise in full yet?

If not I guess you will find out when final payment hits.

Good luck

Princess could come back and say anything as long as its not paid in full.

Have you paid your cruise in full yet?

If not I guess you will find out when final payment hits.

Good luck

Final payment is due in August, so no, not paid in full yet. I guess that's one of my main concerns since I've already purchased airfare and Pricelined a pre cruise hotel.

Tony,

Since they've since corrected the pricing error and not notified us of changes ot our bookings, I wouldn't worry about it.

I keep checking to see if there are any more of those "gllitches" but so far, nada!

Thanks Sherry. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but there's always that little seed that has been planted in the back of my mind... Lol

Final payment is due in August, so no, not paid in full yet. I guess that's one of my main concerns since I've already purchased airfare and Pricelined a pre cruise hotel.

I spoke to a friend at Princess and he said that since it was a computer glitch (apparently the wrong fares were uploaded into their system) on their part, they won't pursue making any changes. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy your cruise! :)

I spoke to a friend at Princess and he said that since it was a computer glitch (apparently the wrong fares were uploaded into their system) on their part, they won't pursue making any changes. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy your cruise! :)

Thank you for that bit of encouraging news! :D

I don't think you'll have an issue. We had Ocean princess booked for 21 days at a stunning price. Had my TA check it about three times...then I had her check the 14 day version rather than the whole 21 ..it was 3x7 days. The 14 day came in about $1,000 pp higher than the 21 day. We both thought...hmmm something isn't right with the price. Turns out Princess had completely messed up her group booking rate of the 21 dayer. They sent out notifications increasing the price by about $3,500 pp BUT said they were honoring all current bookings.

• 4 weeks later...

This is reassuring. There was a substantial error in the pricing on princess.com for oine sailing in 2013 when the fares were loaded in 2011. The net result was single cabins for less than the price of a single night for double occupancy in the same category.

Generally, if a fare is an error and it's caught in a timely manner, courts have held that it's OK to either refund the amount paid and cancel the reservation, or demand the additional fare. Timelines vary, but it's been (well) over a year at this point, and the affected category has since sold out, so it's not possible to tell if the fault still exists. I would have laughed and walked away without a fight if they'd caught it within a month, I would have negotiated a bit within 90 days, but after six months, I think it's an accepted contract. We all have PDFs of the Personalizer showing our bookings as Paid In Full, from a variety of dates.

Frankly, since enough affected cabins were booked to sell out the category, and all of us would be happy to "double up" from our single occupancies, I'd gladly let Princess have half of the cabins back in exchange for not giving us grief on the others, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that.

Early in our cruising career we had a Panama Canal transit cruise where we had taken advantage of a last minute Princess email offer that was fantastic. One evening our tablemates were bragging about their great rates, doing a "one-upsmanship" and we had to sit on our hands and keep our mouths shut. Our deal for a balcony cabin was about one-quarter the price of their rate. We barely lasted until the end of dinner, at which time we rushed to a quiet place on deck and laughed ourselves silly, then established our rule that we will never, ever discuss cruise rates with other passengers onboard.

It's not worth spoiling someone's evening, especially when that someone may be us. ;)

Archived