Just back from Crown Princess - Greek Isles, any questions?

Infi

Well, we aren't actually back yet as we are still on the ship right now. Have quite a few internet minutes left so may as well use them up before we disembark tomorrow. Cruise was excellent, ports were fantastic and it was a very busy and tiring trip. Took some wonderful private tours in most ports and did a few DIY as well. I will write a more in depth review with more information when we get back home but for now, if anyone has any questions about the ship or ports, I am more than happy to answer them. Before our cruise there were only 2 runs of this itinerary, so not too much information was out there on CC. If I can help out any future cruisers with questions, please post and I'll try my best to help.

I'm sailing the Crown's Greek Isles cruise at the end of the year & Rhodes was cancelled for 'operational' reasons...was Rhodes cancelled for you & if so did they explain why?

What type of dining did you choose? Being a port intensive cruise we selected 6:00 TD...is that too early for most ports? Which type of dining would you suggest that would work best with this itinerary?

Glad to hear that you had a great cruise even if it was busy & tiriing. We're ending our 12 day cruise with a 20 day TA to Galveston to have some R&R time onboard the Crown from Venice.

I'm sailing the Crown's Greek Isles cruise at the end of the year & Rhodes was cancelled for 'operational' reasons...was Rhodes cancelled for you & if so did they explain why?

What type of dining did you choose? Being a port intensive cruise we selected 6:00 TD...is that too early for most ports? Which type of dining would you suggest that would work best with this itinerary?

Glad to hear that you had a great cruise even if it was busy & tiriing. We're ending the 12 day cruise with a 20 day TA to Galveston to have some R&R time onboard the Crown.

We never got an explanation as to why Rhodes was cancelled. I remember reading on CC that it was cancelled before being notified by Princess and I honestly believe it was because Princess wanted more revenue from another sea day. Some on our cruise didn't even know Rhodes was cancelled until we were already on the ship! :eek: As an FYI, our itinerary also said we would arrive in Mykonos at 1am and we did not arrive until 6am that morning. No explanation was given. I think this was unique to our cruise, but it is something to keep in mind if you were looking forward to that night call.

We had 6pm TD. We love TD and this was perfect for us. Most of the port departures are at 5pm or 6pm so we were already back on the ship for all aboard time anyway so had no problem making it to dinner. Others may feel differently, but early TD has always worked for us, even in the Med, so we will always take it.

This cruise was extremely tiring but fantastic. I'm envious that you have a transatlantic after your Greek Isles cruise. Did my first TA last year and now I am convinced that is the best way to see Europe. Have a great time on the Crown.

Thanks so much for the offer, I have been hoping to read a few reviews of the Crown in the Med before our sailing on July 23 but there is not much on here. Did you do Pompeii and if so by ship tour or DIY? Was DIY easy? Any disruptions/strikes in Athens? Were the meals good? I would just like to hear your impressions of everything really, nice to know what to expect. Thanks again

We never got an explanation as to why Rhodes was cancelled. I remember reading on CC that it was cancelled before being notified by Princess and I honestly believe it was because Princess wanted more revenue from another sea day. Some on our cruise didn't even know Rhodes was cancelled until we were already on the ship! :eek: As an FYI, our itinerary also said we would arrive in Mykonos at 1am and we did not arrive until 6am that morning. No explanation was given. I think this was unique to our cruise, but it is something to keep in mind if you were looking forward to that night call.

We had 6pm TD. We love TD and this was perfect for us. Most of the port departures are at 5pm or 6pm so we were already back on the ship for all aboard time anyway so had no problem making it to dinner. Others may feel differently, but early TD has always worked for us, even in the Med, so we will always take it.

This cruise was extremely tiring but fantastic. I'm envious that you have a transatlantic after your Greek Isles cruise. Did my first TA last year and now I am convinced that is the best way to see Europe. Have a great time on the Crown.

Thanks...that's very helpful. :D

Sailing in November the sun will set much earlier & probably not much to see if it's dark outside. With so many port days guess that will be our pre-dinner exercise! ;)

We returned a year ago from this same cruise on the Star Princess. It was a great cruise but very busy with only one sea day. Met some great fellow cruise critics and have great memories. In the three weeks we were in Italy and the cruise we had 30 minutes of rain in Athens and a rain storm in Venice while we were boarding. The skies cleared in the afternoon and every other day was sunny and warm. The highlight of the cruise was the Venice Sailaway.

I noticed this year there was an unbelievable 'late deal' on a Med/Greek Crown Cruise.

The Crown is our favorite Princess ship. Glad you enjoyed your time on it.

Greetings, Infi

Thanks for your offer to help us plan. We are on the Crown for this itinerary in September and are debating Dubrovnik. Should we confine our excursion to this glorious ancient city or venture out along the Dalmation coast, as well, for a day-long private excursion? We have preliminary arrangements to do just that.

We will appreciate your suggestions and the input of others.

Look forward to your report as we sail on the 11th July on the same cruise. Did you manage to get in to Mykonos, our last 2 Princess cruises could not make it ( both in August) and did you tender, we too are due in at 1.00am.

Did you use the cable car in Dubrovnik, if so , was it easy to get to? What did you do in Corfu? Thankyou

I'm really looking forward to your full review. I'm doing a TA in 2013. In 2014 I really want to do a cruise that includes Greece. Nice to hear you had such a wonderful cruise.

Glad to hear that you had a great cruise even if it was busy & tiriing. We're ending our 12 day cruise with a 20 day TA to Galveston to have some R&R time onboard the Crown from Venice.

Frank, it sounds like you will be having an amazing cruise experience. Does your Crown TA go to some of the same ports that the Royal TA will be visiting next year? (obviously Venice) but curious about others.

Thanks for all the comments. We will board the Crown in October for three cruises. Can't wait.

Wow, Paul. Sounds amazing. Where will your three cruises on the Crown take you? I sailed the Crown in 2009 and loved that ship.

I have a question...we're sailing on 23-July. My two kidlets (adult aged) were quite interested in the 0100 hrs arrival time in Mykonos, and hoped to get off in time to sample a few clubs. Do the tenders begin running just after arrival, or do the keep the passengers cooped up until morning?

Frank, it sounds like you will be having an amazing cruise experience. Does your Crown TA go to some of the same ports that the Royal TA will be visiting next year? (obviously Venice) but curious about others.

All of the Royal's ports of call are repeats except for Messina & Madeira but only Venice is a repeat for the 12 day Greek Isles from Rome to Venice. By going in November/Decemeber we'll avoid the summer crowds & heat and hoping the weather will be okay. We've never sailed in the Med so looking forward to visiting so many places on our bucket list! :D

I have a question...we're sailing on 23-July. My two kidlets (adult aged) were quite interested in the 0100 hrs arrival time in Mykonos, and hoped to get off in time to sample a few clubs. Do the tenders begin running just after arrival, or do the keep the passengers cooped up until morning?

There have been posts in several threads saying that the advertised 0100 hrs arrival did not happen and that the ship arrived after daylight.

You may not know for sure until you board the ship and can ask on board.

I was also on the op's sailing and what is also interesting was that the capt. referenced the early arrival during his address at the champaign waterfall.

Thanks so much for the offer, I have been hoping to read a few reviews of the Crown in the Med before our sailing on July 23 but there is not much on here. Did you do Pompeii and if so by ship tour or DIY? Was DIY easy? Any disruptions/strikes in Athens? Were the meals good? I would just like to hear your impressions of everything really, nice to know what to expect. Thanks again

Daisy, we did Pompeii on our last visit to Naples and went with Rome in Limo. They got us there very quickly, before all the ship tours arrived and got us out of there and onto our next stop very quickly. I would highly recommend RIL or the other reputable operators recommended on CC (APTours, etc.), especially if you want to do Pompeii and something else, like the Amalfi coast. Some of our tablemates did Pompeii via the ship tour and were disappointed with the quality of their guide and the timing of the tour (they moved the Pompeii part of the tour to the afternoon when it was unbearably hot and miserable. Princess does have the right to do this, but it wasn't an ideal situation.) Also, if you go to Pompeii, I would highly recommend a guide to take you around the site. The site is huge, the maps and signage are poor, and a guide can really bring life to the ruins. You can get guides at the entrance either privately or by joining a group.

Athens: no strikes or disruptions, though if there are any, they will be in the Syntagma square area, where the Parliament is and can be avoided easily if you are visiting the tourist sites. As our driver told us, the anger is directed at the goverment, not the visitors, so it's safe for tourists. The rest of the islands are extemely safe and calm as well. We felt it was almost like they were in a bubble from the rest of Greek politics.

Food was very good onboard, one of our better cruises with Princess. The executive chef is Italian, and I think that upped the quality of the cuisine quite a bit.

I will put some general thoughts in a later post, but for now, I hope that helps you out a bit!

Thanks...that's very helpful. :D

Sailing in November the sun will set much earlier & probably not much to see if it's dark outside. With so many port days guess that will be our pre-dinner exercise! ;)

Glad you found the information helpful. Have a great cruise!

I have a friend and her granddaughter who are on your sailing, and I'm so glad to hear that it was great!! Thanks for posting and safe travels home!

Thanks, sunsetbeachgal! It was a fantastic cruise, although we won't be home for another two days yet. Looking forward to getting back home, it's been a tiring trip!

We're sailing on the Crown on Aug 16.

Did you tender in Mykonos and Split as the itinerary indicates? How did it go?

We did not tender in Mykonos, we docked at the pier. The pier is about a 20min walk from town on a rough road that has no shoulder. An independent operator ran a shuttle from the pier to town. The cost was 7 euro roundtrip and it could only be bought onboard during the morning hours. Keep in mind there is only one pier in Mykonos and it is first come, first serve, except for Greek vessels which get first priority. We were the first at the port and docked, but I don't know if that happens every cruise. That's probably why Princess defaults to tendered on the itinerary.

Our cruise (Venice-Rome) did not visit Split, so sorry I can't help out there.

... and did you tender from where the cable car is in Santorini, or dock at the other end of the island where the ferries dock?

We tendered to the cable car pier in Santorini. It's a very short ride from the ship in the island's tenders. It was the only port where we tendered, and they used the tender ticket system in one of the DRs. They used the tickets system all morning, up until after 11.

An Infi review! Can't wait! Safe travels.

Thanks, Pescado! You're very kind :)

Greetings, Infi

Thanks for your offer to help us plan. We are on the Crown for this itinerary in September and are debating Dubrovnik. Should we confine our excursion to this glorious ancient city or venture out along the Dalmation coast, as well, for a day-long private excursion? We have preliminary arrangements to do just that.

We will appreciate your suggestions and the input of others.

Dubrovnik is very quaint and scenic and easy to DIY. Most of the people I spoke with onboard cited Dubrovnik or Kusadasi as their favorite port of call, so people really enjoyed it. If you dock at the port, you can take the ship's shuttle to the old town ($15pp roundtrip) and wander around. Lots of shops, restaurants, and little streets to explore. There's a few beaches nearby and you can also climb the fortress wall that surrounds the town. My daughter climbed the wall and loved it. It's very picturesque with some great views of the town and water. But, keep in mind that it's a strenuous climb up and uneven in parts, so not for those with mobility issues. There's also no shade and it was very hot out that day, so bring a hat and sunscreen.

Now, we didn't do the adjacent coastal towns, but I get the feeling that is an excursion better saved for a second visit. I would check out Dubrovnik itself if it's your first visit, but that's just my advice. Hopefully someone else can report back about other excursions outside Dubrovnik.

Look forward to your report as we sail on the 11th July on the same cruise. Did you manage to get in to Mykonos, our last 2 Princess cruises could not make it ( both in August) and did you tender, we too are due in at 1.00am.

Did you use the cable car in Dubrovnik, if so , was it easy to get to? What did you do in Corfu? Thankyou

We got into Mykonos fine, but as I mentioned above, we did not arrive at 1am as the itinerary had said. No explanation was given. I got the feeling this was an anomaly, as our waitstaff told us about arriving there at 1am on previous cruises and saying that it was mainly the crew who went out at that hour.

Did not do the cable car in Dubrovnik, but supposedly it is a walk from the Pile gate where the ship's shuttle drops you off. You could grab a cab from the port and have them drop you off at the cable car also.

In Corfu, we took a private tour (with CorfuTaxiPrivatetours) around the island and visited some of the highlights like the Achiellion Palace and the monastery. You would either need to take a taxi or a ship's tour to reach these because they are pretty far away from the port. The side of the island where the monastery is, Paleokastritsa, is particularly beautiful. Some folks from the ship also took taxis to Corfu town and wandered around or went to some beaches nearby.

I'm really looking forward to your full review. I'm doing a TA in 2013. In 2014 I really want to do a cruise that includes Greece. Nice to hear you had such a wonderful cruise.

Greece is wonderful! On our last Med cruise we visited two ports in Greece and enjoyed them so much, we knew we wanted to do the Greek isles next. Very laid back, beautiful, and the people are great. I would highly recommend the Greek isles cruise, just be sure to get ready for the pace and take some time to rest while on the cruise, it's a whirlwind of ports.

Psychopike, I think our cruise might have been an anomaly in missing Mykonos at 1am. Our waitstaff talked about previous calls where they had arrived at 1am and it was mainly the crew going out at that hour, so it sounds like it does happen. So, if I were you, I'd keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but also be prepared that the ship might arrive later.

Also, if the ship does arrive at 1am, I'm guessing it would be docked rather than tendered. Would hate to think of the liability of tendering passengers in the dark!

Archived