My VEENDAM to BERMUDA PowerPoint REVIEW

chiapet

OMG ... so sorry ... I can't believe I forgot to say which sailing we were on :o

It was June 17-24, 2012

After being on these boards for many years with many cruises under our belt and always reading the reviews etc. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your Veendam review. You nailed everything in a concise and informative, "enticing" manner. We cruise on the Veendam 8/26/12, her very last cruise to Bermuda and the beautiful port of Hamilton. I am now even more excited!!!!!!!! Thank you! You didn't mention dining at the Pinnacle thinking with two young boys that was perhaps not a necessary option but by chance to hear any comments?

All the best to you and your family for many wonderful cruises in the future.

Excellent "powerpoint"! We were on the 6/24-7/1 Veendam cruise to Bermuda; just back yesterday. Only addition I would make is the Beef Wellington, on Monday formal night and the Chateaubriand at the Pinnacle, were excellent. We ate at the Pinnacle for Le Cirque and all food was superb. If planning on eating at the Pinnacle, book online ahead of the cruise or it will be all sold out.

Only dissapointment was that we had to leave Bermuda early (Thursday at 5:00 was all aboard) because of the remnants of tropical depression Debbie. Captain gave a talk at 10:00 Thursday AM re: his decision and it seems the main reason for leaving was that there might be gusts in the harbor to 35kts and the ship needs to go through a narrow passage. The gusts might make push the boat sideways and not be able to make it through the narrow channel. (If that's the case, I would think this ship would be arriving late or departing early often.) I knew other passengers on the Norwegian Star who stayed at dockyard and left as scheduled on Friday at 4:00PM. The gusts never did materialize. Smooth sailing home for both of us!

After being on these boards for many years with many cruises under our belt and always reading the reviews etc. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your Veendam review. You nailed everything in a concise and informative, "enticing" manner. We cruise on the Veendam 8/26/12, her very last cruise to Bermuda and the beautiful port of Hamilton. I am now even more excited!!!!!!!! Thank you! You didn't mention dining at the Pinnacle thinking with two young boys that was perhaps not a necessary option but by chance to hear any comments?

All the best to you and your family for many wonderful cruises in the future.

I'm so happy that everyone is enjoying my review ... I started it the day we got back and almost didn't completed it ... but I'm glad that I persevered ... even if it took a little longer than expected :)

We did not do the Pinnacle but did hear excellent things about it with some people doing multiple nights. Just remember to make your reservations as soon as possible when you board ;)

Have a great time on your sailing!

Excellent "powerpoint"! We were on the 6/24-7/1 Veendam cruise to Bermuda; just back yesterday. Only addition I would make is the Beef Wellington, on Monday formal night and the Chateaubriand at the Pinnacle, were excellent. We ate at the Pinnacle for Le Cirque and all food was superb. If planning on eating at the Pinnacle, book online ahead of the cruise or it will be all sold out.

Only dissapointment was that we had to leave Bermuda early (Thursday at 5:00 was all aboard) because of the remnants of tropical depression Debbie. Captain gave a talk at 10:00 Thursday AM re: his decision and it seems the main reason for leaving was that there might be gusts in the harbor to 35kts and the ship needs to go through a narrow passage. The gusts might make push the boat sideways and not be able to make it through the narrow channel. (If that's the case, I would think this ship would be arriving late or departing early often.) I knew other passengers on the Norwegian Star who stayed at dockyard and left as scheduled on Friday at 4:00PM. The gusts never did materialize. Smooth sailing home for both of us!

We heard about your early departure ... but it's completely understandable given the situation. At least you made it out of Hamilton and had a smooth sail home. Otherwise, it sounds like you had a great cruise too!

Chiapet..totally off topic, but are you a teacher or engineer perhaps? Reading your review reminded me if my DH, who is both. I made notes from your review which will be helpful on our cruise next week. You answered several questions I didn't know I had! One more question regarding the cabins you mentioned that might see a concrete wall. Were those cabins ones with a deck or balcony or the lower ones with Windows? Thanks.

Chiapet..totally off topic, but are you a teacher or engineer perhaps? Reading your review reminded me if my DH, who is both. I made notes from your review which will be helpful on our cruise next week. You answered several questions I didn't know I had! One more question regarding the cabins you mentioned that might see a concrete wall. Were those cabins ones with a deck or balcony or the lower ones with Windows? Thanks.

WOW ... you're totally correct!

My background is in IT ... but I'm now home with the kids ... AND substitute teaching. The only thing you missed was my OCD ... but I guess that's kinda obvious ... huh ;)

As for those view-obstructed starboard cabins ... they were oceanview with windows on the lower decks (4 and possibly 5). The gangway was on deck 3 starboard forward. But once you exited and walked along the ship/water ... you then had to go up a set of ramps to street-level ... thru the pink customs building to get to Front Street. The ramping is in front of the *concrete* that may block your view. However, if you're all the way aft starboard ... you will definitely have your view blocked by the pink building along with other *stuff*.

I'm not completely sure ... as our cabin was not there ... but I just noticed it every time we got off the ship ... and remarked how glad I was that we didn't have any of *those* cabins :)

Have a great time next week!

I'm on the Veendam w/ DH departing July had to post to tell you how WONDERFUL your review is!

I have V-OCD (vacation-obsessive compulsive disorder), and I lurk on these boards (and have search engine fever) gathering information for WEEKS before departure - and, hilariously, you have just made 95% of my careful research entirely unnecessary :) -- and have answered so many of the questions to which I still hadn't found answers.

Truly, your trip report is a thing of beauty.

So... one more little lingering question (I never ask questions - but heck, I'm here :) ): if the scheduled arrival in Hamilton is 10 a.m., by what time could the ordinary, non-pushy passenger actually be on Front Street? :D Is it ever earlier than 10 am?

So... one more little lingering question (I never ask questions - but heck, I'm here :) ): if the scheduled arrival in Hamilton is 10 a.m., by what time could the ordinary, non-pushy passenger actually be on Front Street? :D Is it ever earlier than 10 am?

It's funny ... but I had wondered the same thing ... even up to the day prior to getting into Hamilton ;)

The ship had gotten into Hamilton right on time ... but it took a bit longer to clear customs and set up at the pier (I'm guessing) ... so the announcement didn't come until ~10:15-10:30am ... that we could get off.

We were also hoping (and thinking) it would be earlier ... but it ended up being later :p

Thank you for this review - I love the format!

Do you remember by chance roughly what time you got off the ship? We are toying with driving vs taking the train in, and just curious what time a non-express passenger disembarked.

Do you remember by chance roughly what time you got off the ship? We are toying with driving vs taking the train in, and just curious what time a non-express passenger disembarked.

On day 1 or 2 ... we received a form to fill out and return by Tuesday to the Front Desk. It was regarding our travel arrangements when disembarking ... so the proper *colored number* luggage tags could be given to us.

For those with *independent* travel arrangements ... you were given 3 or 4 blocks of time to choose from. I think we chose the earliest block of 8:30-9am ... which got us off ~9:15am

There might have been an 8-8:30am ... but I don't recall. However, if you want to be the first to get off ... I would suggest the express Walk Off ... but you have to take your luggage with you. They were the first to be called ... while the rest of us had to wait for the luggage to be set up in the terminal.

Thanks, time seems to be just like every other HAL terminal then.

Think we'll try to make the 9:25 train home. If we miss it it's no biggie, but it gives us a fun goal. Plus we know NYC like the back of our hands so it helps. ;)

Sppunk, We took the train in last year and will do it again this year. It's so much easier and so much less expensive. We are less than an hour by train... We didn't even look at the tain schedule until we got off the ship, then just hopped on the next train out of Penn. Where are you coming from though?

ACTIVITIES

THE RETREAT (for all ages)

HAL KIDS CLUB

ENTERTAINMENT

SHOWROOM AT SEA

+ Sunday - Listen to the Music (9:30pm)

+ Monday - Bob Mackie’s Broadway (7:30pm and 10pm)

+ Tuesday - Comedian John Joseph (7:30pm and 10pm) … funny

+ Wednesday - Indonesian Crew Show (11pm)

+ Thursday - Street Corner Symphony (7:30pm and 10pm)

+ Friday - Encore Musical Classics (7:30pm and 10pm)

+ Saturday - Comedian Kevin Jordan (7:30pm and 10pm) … funny

~ children should not be seated in first few rows

~ cabaret-style table and chair seating in front of stage

Chia,

Again, thank you for that perfect review.

Did they show movies on the big screen at the retreat? I know my kids are dying to watch on movie out on deck.

Were the kids allowed to mix ages in game room? DS is 13 and DD is almost 11 and I know they want to hang together if they can.

How were the shows? Did you go to all of them? Did the kids enjoy them?

Sppunk, We took the train in last year and will do it again this year. It's so much easier and so much less expensive. We are less than an hour by train... We didn't even look at the tain schedule until we got off the ship, then just hopped on the next train out of Penn. Where are you coming from though?

Harrisburg PA. We usually drive over to Metropark and take the NEC in on our monthly weekend trip in, but with luggage we'll probably take the direct Keystone train to/from. We prefer to drive but don't mind the train from here, especially since it originates here abd ends here from NYP.

Chia,

Did they show movies on the big screen at the retreat? I know my kids are dying to watch on movie out on deck.

Were the kids allowed to mix ages in game room? DS is 13 and DD is almost 11 and I know they want to hang together if they can.

We didn't spend much time in the Retreat ... since the only *real* pool was mid-ship ... so I'm not sure about the big screen movies. The only movies I saw listed in the Explorer were all being shown in the Wajang Theater and even once in the Showroom at Sea. And my kids also borrowed a DVD to watch every night in the cabin ... from the hundreds of listings you can get from the front desk for free.

As for the HAL Kids Club ... I'm not sure about that either ... because my kids didn't really want to go in since they thought it was a bit mediocre. They opted instead to stay together by themselves to play ping-pong, chess, basketball, tennis, etc... and had a great time doing so. It was our understanding that they would not allow the kids to *mix* groups ... but it's always worth a try once you get onboard :)

As for the shows ... we only brought the kids to the 2 comedians ... who were really funny. Both did an act which made a show out of *picking* on audience members. The kids enjoyed it ... but the 13yo probably *got it* more than the little one ... if you know what I mean ;) I don't think there was anything really *inappropriate* either ... so the kids were fine going. We also didn't have any interest in seeing the other shows. However, we did hear from other guests that the shows were very *entertaining* ... but they were all a bit *older* ... so I'm not sure how much the kids would really enjoy it :rolleyes:

The Veendam and HAL are definitely not geared for kids ... but we knew that when we booked ... and we all had a great time anyway!

Chia,

In May, we were told that it was no longer working.

Archived