Bringing items back from Baltic cruise

This will be our first Baltic cruise. I believe that I will need to bring a myriad of clothing items as the weather will vary (raincoats/sweat shirts/shorts/pants) for a two week trip as well as the clothing for more formal nights on board. I think it is difficult enough to pack for a two week cruise in one suitcase (less than 50 lbs.) and a carry on. How in the world will I be able to bring back the souvenirs I would like to purchase?

Are you talking back to the US? That is helpful info when considering customs rules.

Not sure why you wouldn't be taking two large suitcases, assuming one per passenger. Plus one carry on per person. That will help with the space issue. If you are talking just one person, yes, that is a more difficult question.

Some thoughts. For a 14 day trip, you don't need 14 outfits. Many will do just 7 outfits and repeat them. For the Baltic, layering is important, carefully selecting color combinations for maximum possible combos is also important. Shirts that go with all your pants, for example. Rick Steves- an excellent TA and advisor, is very good about this.

We just completed 25 days in central Europe with one checked bag, one carry on, and a small backpack, total, for two people. And we didn't feel we needed anything else. So it can be done- it is not all that difficult. But that was a land tour, no formal attire. But in 2010, we did a 20 day Med cruise, with 3 days before and 1 after, (on the very warm Med), with two checked and two carry on, tuxedo, etc, and our bags weren't even full. We are now talking two weeks in Italy next summer, with a checked bag and a carryon, total, for two.

Just takes a careful look and some careful planning.

Are you talking back to the US? That is helpful info when considering customs rules.

Not sure why you wouldn't be taking two large suitcases, assuming one per passenger. Plus one carry on per person. That will help with the space issue. If you are talking just one person, yes, that is a more difficult question.

Some thoughts. For a 14 day trip, you don't need 14 outfits. Many will do just 7 outfits and repeat them. For the Baltic, layering is important, carefully selecting color combinations for maximum possible combos is also important. Shirts that go with all your pants, for example. Rick Steves- an excellent TA and advisor, is very good about this.

We just completed 25 days in central Europe with one checked bag, one carry on, and a small backpack, total, for two people. And we didn't feel we needed anything else. So it can be done- it is not all that difficult. But that was a land tour, no formal attire. But in 2010, we did a 20 day Med cruise, with 3 days before and 1 after, (on the very warm Med), with two checked and two carry on, tuxedo, etc, and our bags weren't even full. We are now talking two weeks in Italy next summer, with a checked bag and a carryon, total, for two.

Just takes a careful look and some careful planning.

25 days = 2 people = one checked bag, one carry on & backpack....I'm very impressed !!!...I'm getting ready (Oct) to do a 12 night 3 city China land trip and the thought of the luggage/weight limits for the inter-country flights has me stressed.

Here's one thing I always do when I travel to a place where weather may vary and I need thick clothes like jackets --- I wear on to the plane my sweatshirt, my heaviest jacket and my hiking (or heaviest pair of shoes).

These items take up a lot of weight and room in the luggage. So, why not wear them. Sure, it's a bit of a pain to take the sweatshirt and jacket off at security, but at least you won't need a coat on the flight.

25 days = 2 people = one checked bag, one carry on & backpack....I'm very impressed !!!...I'm getting ready (Oct) to do a 12 night 3 city China land trip and the thought of the luggage/weight limits for the inter-country flights has me stressed.

We have been traveling a fair amount recently, and have got our list down to a pretty tight operation. We just rotate a few things as needed- tuxedo in when needed, for example. The 25 day Euro trip we were a little unsure of the weather, so layering was Goal #1, with very little in the really warm weather clothes side. The Italy trip, which will be in August, will not have any cold weather clothes at all.

Here's one thing I always do when I travel to a place where weather may vary and I need thick clothes like jackets --- I wear on to the plane my sweatshirt, my heaviest jacket and my hiking (or heaviest pair of shoes).

These items take up a lot of weight and room in the luggage. So, why not wear them. Sure, it's a bit of a pain to take the sweatshirt and jacket off at security, but at least you won't need a coat on the flight.

That is one of our tactics as well. Works very well.

on my Baltic crusie I only intend to have one formal outfit and a few smart casual ones which I can mix and match. For the rest of it I will take clothes which can go together to save packing lots of jeans ect. For the heavier stuff like coat, walking shoes I am wearing these on the plane as that does not count in your weight allowance

Most ships have self-service laundry machines you can use, or you can use part of your shipboard credit for valet laundry service.

And in addition to a carry-on suitcase, the airline rules allow everyone (men included) to carry a "personal article," which can be anything from a purse to a briefcase to a large tote bag. If you can get all your clothes and other gear into the checked bag and carry-on, stuff a folding tote bag into one of them to tote your souvenirs home.

Or in lieu of your usual elegant attire, include some old clothing you're about to discard (none of your friends will see you wearing it), and make room for souvenirs by discarding it when you pack for the trip home.

Or in lieu of your usual elegant attire, include some old clothing you're about to discard (none of your friends will see you wearing it), and make room for souvenirs by discarding it when you pack for the trip home.

Wonderful, super smart idea!! Appreciate your sharing. Am packing away that idea for our cruise scheduled Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, New Zealand and Australia. Focusing on comfort and being practical are very vital. Most people "get it" on not trying to have a new and different outfit each day. There are no "fashion police" on the ship. (That's another delicate subject to avoid!!)

Layering is important in the Baltics. In most cases, you won't need a heavy coat. A lighter jacket with a sweater or two under can cover some of those cooler, early morning needs.

Lots of good suggestions and comments on this thread. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 75,419 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You'll most likely do fine with a light coat and a long-sleeved shirt under it. Even if it might be cold, it's not freezing. (Although I'm a Finn, so I only freeze below zero ;))

We did a month in Alaska (no cruise) with carryon suitcase and backpack each. We did what others said, wore our heavy shoes, carried bulky coat (needed this for blanket in plane anyway), and rolled up all our clothes. We did laundry twice.

One year, in the old days, we brought back 24 bottles of French wine in our carryon luggage. :)

Last year, we did a three week land trip through Europe on our own, prior to the Baltic cruise. To lighten our luggage, we decided to leave our formal wear at home. Just didn't make sense to carry extra clothing, esp. DH's suit for two formal evenings. We managed with one med. suitcase each, along with a small nonwheel carryon.

We made use of the ship's laundry facilities on the day we boarded the ship, and did handwashing on our land trip.

To lighten our luggage, we decided to leave our formal wear at home. Just didn't make sense to carry extra clothing, esp. DH's suit for two formal evenings. We managed with one med. suitcase each, along with a small nonwheel carryon. We made use of the ship's laundry facilities on the day we boarded the ship, and did handwashing on our land trip.

Don't want to get into a formal dress versus something-else debate, but you are accurately reflecting one of the realities for air travel today. I have done dark suits on cruises (with French cuffed white shirt) and things have worked fine.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,280 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are planning to copy what we did for Alaska--lots of light layers! Also no suit jacket for DH--it comes off straight away in the dining room so we will not take it again! For each of us we take a 23" checked-in bag, one carry-on (primarily for the CPAP and meds etc) and two personal items. Check your luggage weight at home. I find the bulky shoes and jacket routine on flights cumbersome.

we each took 1 medium suitcase and shared a folding duffle bag. We used air removal bags in our suitcases and each weighed about 38 lbs each. On the way home we had enough space to pack the folding duffle bag in our checked luggage and even with purchases we were under 50 lbs each. DH took a suit and I took 2 formal evening dresses (that were very light weight). I had a large purse for misc. items and DH had a camera bag. We used the carry on for the trip to CPH to carry a change of clothes and toiletries in case our luggage didn't make it - luckily it did. I brought a rain jacket and a light weight jacket. I used the rain coat but not the jacket.

CruiserBruce-Yes, we will be bringing items back to the US.

Thanks to all for your ideas. Thirty plus cruises and I still struggle to get my luggage to weigh in at much less than 50 lbs, and that's with luggage that I consider to be lightweight! I try to pack the heavier things in the carry on. I like the idea of wearing extra items. It will be easy enough to wear a sweatshirt and a jacket (although I may look a bit silly-especially with how hot it has been), sometimes it gets kind of chilly on the plane anyway so I can use them as a blanket. I always carry a larger tote/purse, but honestly kind of forgot that my husband can too, so I will be sure to pack something for him to use if needed.

Archived