Upgrade

Batana

Typically how does an upgrade work. Can you receive an upgrade with no notification?

Just curious, we booked with a possiblity of an upgrade but not sure we want one.

Thx for any info.

Sometimes people are told of an upgrade with time to turn it down. Other times people learn of an upgrade when they arrive at the pier with no opportunity to turn it down. Anything in between can also happen.

Sometimes people are told of an upgrade with time to turn it down. Other times people learn of an upgrade when they arrive at the pier with no opportunity to turn it down. Anything in between can also happen.
There's no one answer. :( All bookings are "Will accept an upgrade" unless otherwise marked. Which means that you are willing to accept any cabin Princess assigns you as long as it is in the same or better category. They may or may not notify you as you've already said you'd accept it... by default.

This is particularly true if you've booked a GTY. Sometimes, you can decline it or request another cabin in the same category. If you decline it, you are back to your original booking and the next assignment might not be as good.

A "upgrade" is not necessarily an upgrade. I'm booked on the Island Princess in September and due to popularity, I was able to book only an obstructed view cabin. It's not horribly obstructed and I love the location. When I went to make final payment last week, I saw that a very few unobstructed (and technically better) cabins were available so I checked out the location. Yuck. No wonder they haven't sold. The first two cabins in the bow on two different decks. No thanks. I'll keep mine three doors down from the Atrium and the Internet Cafe.

There's no one answer. :( All bookings are "Will accept an upgrade" unless otherwise marked. Which means that you are willing to accept any cabin Princess assigns you as long as it is in the same or better category.
I thought if you booked a specific cabin number you could only be moved if the new cabin was an upgrade. They would not move you from one cabin to another in the same category because it would not be an upgrade.

There's no one answer. :( All bookings are "Will accept an upgrade" unless otherwise marked. Which means that you are willing to accept any cabin Princess assigns you as long as it is in the same or better category. They may or may not notify you as you've already said you'd accept it... by default.

This is particularly true if you've booked a GTY. Sometimes, you can decline it or request another cabin in the same category. If you decline it, you are back to your original booking and the next assignment might not be as good.

A "upgrade" is not necessarily an upgrade. I'm booked on the Island Princess in September and due to popularity, I was able to book only an obstructed view cabin. It's not horribly obstructed and I love the location. When I went to make final payment last week, I saw that a very few unobstructed (and technically better) cabins were available so I checked out the location. Yuck. No wonder they haven't sold. The first two cabins in the bow on two different decks. No thanks. I'll keep mine three doors down from the Atrium and the Internet Cafe.

Thanks for this info....this is why I love Cruise Critic. I just emailed my TA to mark our booking "No Upgrades". We have an aft balcony, and I'd hate to lose it!

I thought if you booked a specific cabin number you could only be moved if the new cabin was an upgrade. They would not move you from one cabin to another in the same category because it would not be an upgrade.

If you have booked a specific cabin, but left it to accept an upgrade, you will not be moved to a cabin in the same category. You can be moved to any cabin in any higher category and you may not be given an opportunity to decline the upgrade. Not everyone feels that every cabin in every higher category is better.

They can move you to any cabin, even if it's not really an upgrade. A few years ago, I was in an AD mini-suite next door to my sister and brother-in-law. Our bookings were linked. Princess moved me -- without notification -- to an AC at the front of the ship on Dolphin deck. Technically an upgrade but any sane person wouldn't consider it as such plus we were linked and my booking marked "No upgrade." My TA fortunately got my cabin back but sheesh... I was steaming. I learned then that Princess can, and will, move anyone from any cabin no matter what if they want your cabin.

I'm a single person in a quad OV on the Plaza deck. I was wanting the Plaza deck and that was what was available. Are they likely to switch me? I don't remember for sure but I don't think I checked any boxes asking not to change. They are welcome to give me a balcony in exchange...:rolleyes:

I'm a single person in a quad OV on the Plaza deck. I was wanting the Plaza deck and that was what was available. Are they likely to switch me? I don't remember for sure but I don't think I checked any boxes asking not to change. They are welcome to give me a balcony in exchange...:rolleyes:

If you want to be sure to keep that cabin, contact Princess (or your travel agent if you used one) and ask for your booking to be marked will not accept upgrade. (Default is will accept).

If left willing to accept, and if an upgrade is given, it is likely to be to an unobstructed oceanview in another category.

Archived