You Call This an Upgrade?

kidz_rn

Lol...we had an inside cabin once. It was so depressing to pull the curtain back and see...a wall :eek: I swore I'd never do it again, but then I read about turning the TV on to the bow camera and using it to tell me when it was daytime and to give me a "view" of the water :D

I'd cruise in an inside if that was my only option (hey, a cruise in an inside cabin is better than no cruise at all) but I'd jump all over a window in a heartbeat ;)

Would prefer a window but for say $ 100 would easily be satisfied by an inside.

No window but we know we are on a cruise so how bad is that?

Whoa! That IS a good upgrade! Not only are you getting a large panoramic window, but you're also getting a larger cabin. You'll be going from 185 sq ft, to 220 sq ft. In addition to the panoramic window, you'll also get a sitting area with a full sofa and a coffee table (the cabin you currently have does not have a sitting area).

I would take the "upgrade" in a heartbeat! Deck 1 is actually a very nice deck. Quiet, and you'll feel less motion than on deck 8! :)

Thank you for explaining this. I am a non-pro cruiser and didn't understand why the OP was upset and wanted to quit Carnival. Whenever I book a hotel room I expect that room. If they ask me at check in if I want the upgrade I can decide whether I want it or not even if it costs more money. I'm very confused why if you get what you bargained for and are offered something different and can decline you would be angry. If the Hilton says at check in I can have a lower level room with a better view for $100 and I say no and get my original room why would I be angry? I am not being a jerk I think there must be something about cruising politics that I don't understand yet. Please help?

Thank you for explaining this. I am a non-pro cruiser and didn't understand why the OP was upset and wanted to quit Carnival. Whenever I book a hotel room I expect that room. If they ask me at check in if I want the upgrade I can decide whether I want it or not even if it costs more money. I'm very confused why if you get what you bargained for and are offered something different and can decline you would be angry. If the Hilton says at check in I can have a lower level room with a better view for $100 and I say no and get my original room why would I be angry? I am not being a jerk I think there must be something about cruising politics that I don't understand yet. Please help?

25 cruises under my belt and do not understand why the op is upset.

Would prefer a window but for say $ 100 would easily be satisfied by an inside.

No window but we know we are on a cruise so how bad is that?

I agree, except I spend quite a bit of time in my cabin so I want to be very comfortable there (I like the solitude, especially on the shorter cruises where other passengers are typically less well behaved :)).

The window is worth the extra money to me although I'd take the inside if it meant I got to cruise ;)

Okay, Okay I get it. I am the OP and you all seem to be in agreement with disagreeing with me! :-)

You've convinced me to accept the upgrade because of the window, the larger square footage, the scraping we may hear above us on Deck 9, and Deck 1 isn't so bad, even if it means long elevator rides to the pool & buffet.

With regard to past refunds and shipboard credit on other cruise lines, it's true that that was several years ago, but those price drops may also have been before final payment was due. So it appears that at least most lines are now consistent in their policies.

Thanks to all who replied!

One more bit of good news about being on Deck 1 that no one yet had mentioned......

VERY VERY LITTLE WAIT TO GET OFF SHIP AT ALL THE PORTS!!! Those up higher will be waiting MUCH longer than you. All you have to do is go down one flight. It's almost like you'll get to cut in line, but it's legit!:D:D:D

Okay, Okay I get it. I am the OP and you all seem to be in agreement with disagreeing with me! :-)

You've convinced me to accept the upgrade because of the window, the larger square footage, the scraping we may hear above us on Deck 9, and Deck 1 isn't so bad, even if it means long elevator rides to the pool & buffet.

With regard to past refunds and shipboard credit on other cruise lines, it's true that that was several years ago, but those price drops may also have been before final payment was due. So it appears that at least most lines are now consistent in their policies.

I am relieved to see you back and not feeling ganged up on! Have a great cruise. Congratulations on the upgrade.

I am relieved to see you back and not feeling ganged up on! Have a great cruise. Congratulations on the upgrade.

...Deck 1 dweller here! It allows my family and I to cruise once or twice every year. Started out years ago with inside cabins on the Riviera Deck because of the low cost. Last bunch of cruises were outside cabins, again on Deck 1 or 2 (Main). We've done balconies, but we didn't really see the added benefits (we live in South Florida on a lake, so we are lucky enough to see water and palm trees every day) compared to cost.

...OP, don't sweat it. Deck 1 is just fine. Nice and quiet... You can barely hear the oars slapping the water! JUST KIDDING!!

I've been checking periodically for a price drop for my Deck 8 mid-ship inside stateroom on Carnival Glory Aug. 20 from NYC to Canada since I booked it two months ago and sure enough, today I see my category rate (4G) for 55+ seniors has dropped by $60 pp.

When I called my TA, she said Carnival does not offer either refunds or shipboard credit for price drops unless you booked through their Early Saver program, but will offer a stateroom upgrade comparable to the amount of the price drop. So what was the upgrade they offered? An outside window cabin ON DECK 1.

I don't know about you, but I do not consider going from Deck 8 to Deck 1 an upgrade, even with the window. So we're staying where we are on Deck 8, but we are certainly ticked off at Carnival's policies.

When there were price drops on other cruises we've taken on other lines (Celebrity, Royal C), a refund or shipboard credit were always offered in addition to a cabin upgrade option. This is our 10th cruise, but 1st on Carnival and -- the way things are looking now -- may be our last with them as well!

Hmmm, tiny inside room with no window, or a bigger room with a window to the sea. Yeah, you're right, that's not an upgrade at all...hold that grudge cause you didn't do your research, that'll do it.

I think people responded appropriately. I think your vision was being buried in the bowels of the ship. Myself, I get turned off when people threaten to leave because they didn't get what the vision in their head was.

One more bit of good news about being on Deck 1 that no one yet had mentioned......

VERY VERY LITTLE WAIT TO GET OFF SHIP AT ALL THE PORTS!!! Those up higher will be waiting MUCH longer than you. All you have to do is go down one flight. It's almost like you'll get to cut in line, but it's legit!:D:D:D

I'm glad someone mentioned this! :D

Another benefit to staying on the lower decks!

Have a great cruise. I always book higher up with a balcony, etc. However, I did a family cruise on the Conquest in December and had an Oceanview on Deck 1. I was perfectly happy with the cabin and being so low did not bother me at all. The OV rooms on the Conquest class are very spacious and the window is right by the waterline so you get some cool views especially when you are at sea. It was also pretty quiet down there. I wouldn't hesitate to book one again.

Have a great cruise. I always book higher up with a balcony, etc. However, I did a family cruise on the Conquest in December and had an Oceanview on Deck 1. I was perfectly happy with the cabin and being so low did not bother me at all. The OV rooms on the Conquest class are very spacious and the window is right by the waterline so you get some cool views especially when you are at sea. It was also pretty quiet down there. I wouldn't hesitate to book one again.

I agree with you on the ov on deck 1. Next cruise is on the Dream and hoping a cove balcony pops up and we can upgrade.

Say hi to Wade for me. Was in Atlanta last week and would have liked to visit your restaurant but no time.

I agree with you on the ov on deck 1. Next cruise is on the Dream and hoping a cove balcony pops up and we can upgrade.

Say hi to Wade for me. Was in Atlanta last week and would have liked to visit your restaurant but no time.

Thanks Stu. Would love to see you guys again. Wade says hello back. We are heading out the door in an hour or so for our flight to Venice.

I've been checking periodically for a price drop for my Deck 8 mid-ship inside stateroom on Carnival Glory Aug. 20 from NYC to Canada since I booked it two months ago and sure enough, today I see my category rate (4G) for 55+ seniors has dropped by $60 pp.

When I called my TA, she said Carnival does not offer either refunds or shipboard credit for price drops unless you booked through their Early Saver program, but will offer a stateroom upgrade comparable to the amount of the price drop. So what was the upgrade they offered? An outside window cabin ON DECK 1......

When there were price drops on other cruises we've taken on other lines (Celebrity, Royal C), a refund or shipboard credit were always offered in addition to a cabin upgrade option. This is our 10th cruise, but 1st on Carnival and -- the way things are looking now -- may be our last with them as well!

DECK 1??? OMG thanks for my first laugh of the day.

And please don't compare Royal Caribbean with Carnival. Each one has their own set of rules so just because one cruiseline does it doesn't mean the other cruiseline has to follow suit.

And I do mean this in the nicest of ways because if you see by my signature line I tend to sail on Royal more than Carnival.

I agree.

An OCEANVIEW cabin is always considered better than an inside cabin NO MATTER WHERE ON THE SHIP IT IS LOCATED. I'd jump on it.

Elevators will erase that deck 1 to deck 8 discrepancy. :D

Not to everyone!

I prefer an inside cabin. Actually, I would prefer an inside cabin on (gasp) Deck 1!!!!

I like it dark when I sleep. I don't need a window to glance out of to see what the weather is like. There are ship camera channels on the TV. Or, imagine this, I can get my lazy butt out of bed, get dressed, climb some stairs (double gasp) and walk out onto the outside promenade to see what the weather is like!!!

And proximity to the loud pool area isn't a plus, either. Nor to the buffet so I can (over)stuff my face some more.

So all you folks who turn up your noses at inside cabins please continue to do so because it keeps the prices lower for those of us who prefer them. Sailing in cheap inside cabins means I can sail more often. THAT is what is important! :D

Not to everyone!

I prefer an inside cabin. Actually, I would prefer an inside cabin on (gasp) Deck 1!!!!

I like it dark when I sleep. I don't need a window to glance out of to see what the weather is like. There are ship camera channels on the TV. Or, imagine this, I can get my lazy butt out of bed, get dressed, climb some stairs (double gasp) and walk out onto the outside promenade to see what the weather is like!!!

And proximity to the loud pool area isn't a plus, either. Nor to the buffet so I can (over)stuff my face some more.

So all you folks who turn up your noses at inside cabins please continue to do so because it keeps the prices lower for those of us who prefer them. Sailing in cheap inside cabins means I can sail more often. THAT is what is important! :D

We should be cabin mates....my favorite is inside mid-ship on Riviera. No noise, the least motion and DARK. (And walking those stairs is good exercise!) It has nothing to do with cost....and has to do with sleep.

Unfortunately I got good deals on "higher...lighter cabins"....and my husband prefers those. Since he doesn't like cruising....I have to appease him to get him on the ship.

Archived