Bad Behavior on Shorter Cruises?

pinkmaija

Nope, not college kids. It's people trying to squeeze a weeks worth of vacation into a couple of days. The Friday-Monday cruises have a little more of a party atmosphere than most. A lot of locals tend to do these shorter cruises. Work half of a day on Friday and head to the port after lunch. Party Friday night, Saturday and Sunday, then drag yourself home on Monday morning and catch up on all the sleep you missed! Walk into work Tuesday morning and tell all your co-workers what a great time you had!

Short weekend cruises can be for the Party Hardy crowd, especially in the summer.

The exception was a four-day (M-F) a few years back the first week in February. Odd group of people. Falling down drunks, happy drunks and what seemed to be several nursing homes on vacation. Never seen so many mobility devices on a cruise. (We also sail HAL.)

Well my shortest cruise was on Celebrity Century, a four day. We had just taken a five day Carnival Destiny trip a couple of months earlier.

I have to say, the bad behavior on a shorter cruise stereotype did not ring true at all on Celebrity. I didn't notice one example. And the cruise was not filled with sedate retirees either - there were plenty of young people.

The Destiny on the other hand - made my DH never want to cruise Carnival again. It was not a weekend party cruise but there were several examples that made it look like it.

Seemed like a much different clientele on our seven day dream last month, in a good way.

The only thing I could really say that stood out about the Destiny from the other 2 trips was its rock bottom pricing. Maybe for some people, their behavior rises or falls to the occasion. So if they get a dirt cheap price on a cruise, they will act...dirt cheap. But a higher-end price tag causes an improvement in behavior. Obviously this isn't true for most people, who maintain their standards of behavior in any setting. But maybe it is true for enough that its noticeable on a cruise.

I've done two 4-day cruises during holiday times: one on NCL during spring break and one on Carnival during this past Christmas break. No bad behaviour or other issues at all, at least none that we knew of. I don't know if it was because these sailings were Monday-Friday instead of over a weekend or what, but they were both fine.

My DH and I did a 5 day last Octboer with my parents (in their 70's) on the Fascination (Sun-Th) and it was fine. Did not seem like there were a lot of drunks or any really big partiers. We had a great time and it was our first cruise! Now it might have been because it was October, but we did not see the big party atmosphere that some have talked about.

I think the party atmosphere is on most of the 3 and 4 day as they are short "I have to get away to party" groups. We are going on two five days and hope we don't find that. Normally we are on 7 or longer and do not find them to be what we experienced on our 3 day our of Miami. We still had a good time, but would never take the children again on a short cruise. Too much explaining we had to do!!!

I don't really think this was a situation re: a shorter cruise but we took a 5 day on the Inspiration for our honeymoon last Oct. We were in U168, which is the second OV cabin aft of the elevators-port side. There was a large family traveling together that had several rooms grouped together. They would keep their cabin doors open and use the hallway as an extension of their personal area. One night, we were in bed, not yet sleeping, but it was late and two of the children, perhaps 4 and 6 were playing hide & seek in the hallway and using the elevator banks as home-base. They tapped on each door as they passed and yelled back and forth to each other. This was a game that they played on a regular basis, I'm guessing they played in the halls-- to keep them out of their parent's cabin and keep them close-by and occupied because this went on mornings and some afternoons as well.

Well I opened the door and very politely asked them to keep their voices and down a bit as we as well as others had an early excrusion the next morning. They must have gone back and said something to a parent because from that point on, it was total hell for us. Ringing phone at all hours, our room service hangers missing each night. Decorations from our door torn or missing etc....... I was sure it was them and because of this incident, as the first call started immediately. I called security and they told me that unless they actually witnessed anything themselves, there was nothing that could be done.

I could understand this if I would have yelled at the child, but I didn't. I just asked for them to please stop the yelling and the running back and forth tapping on the doors as they went through. I would have talked to the mother or father, but they were no where to be found when we opened our door.

The other half of the family group were teenagers sharing adjoining inside cabins caddy-corner from us. They would come back late night 2,3 am and make sure to knock loudly on our cabin door then run into their rooms.

This happend in the middle of the cruise so thankfully we only had to put up with it for a couple of days. I did take down our door decorations and started setting our alarm to put our our room service card at 4:45 am, as they need to be out there by 5am. It was just an example of really bad parenting. The hallway is public space not a playyard. This is just my opinion, for whatever it's worth, but having a group of rooms together and leaving the doors open to yell and run back and forth between rooms is very inconsiderate of other passengers.

We didn't let it ruin our cruise and tried to ignore them as not to exasperate any situations. It was very clear that these were not the kind of people that we could reason or talk to.

:(

I agree that The Inspiration was a "Wild" Ship! The last time we sailed on her when she was in Tampa it was "Nuts"! At least the first two nights were. I think most of the partyers must have either checked their charges on their Sail & Signs, or run out of their contraband liquor by the third day, 'cause it got better. I think that since the Legend sails from there, it pulls a lot of the "older, more sedate" folks. We had a great time and there were no problems that we saw. It was fun people watching. We have been on the Fascination several times and it is much "calmer", which is OK too! Be Blessed! Mikey<><

I agree that The Inspiration was a "Wild" Ship! The last time we sailed on her when she was in Tampa it was "Nuts"! At least the first two nights were. I think most of the partyers must have either checked their charges on their Sail & Signs, or run out of their contraband liquor by the third day, 'cause it got better. I think that since the Legend sails from there, it pulls a lot of the "older, more sedate" folks. We had a great time and there were no problems that we saw. It was fun people watching. We have been on the Fascination several times and it is much "calmer", which is OK too! Be Blessed! Mikey<><

The Legend was our first cruise and I agree, everyone was very considerate. It was a Halloween cruise too. Lots of parties and such and still very polite passengers.

We selected the Inspiration for our second cruise and honeymoon as we wanted to sail her before she left for California. Also, I have family in the Tampa Bay area, so sailing out of Tampa is a plus for us.

It was just a bad situation that we tried to make the best of. It was our honeymoon and we were going to have a good time no matter what.

:)

What you call "poorly behaved" might be having fun to some of us.

Short cruise means younger crowd and more late night fun.

If you can't handle it don't go.

I'm 61 and go on a least two a year and have a blast.

No, running in the halls, beating on doors, calling cabins at 4 am, and yelling at the top of one's lungs, cabin doors wide open and running between rooms IS NOT having fun. It's called being inconsiderate to your fellow passengers. There's nothing wrong with having fun with your group, but do you really think that tearing down passengers door decorations, that they have spent time making, is your idea of "FUN" It's rude, and for a child, an example of bad parenting.

I have a 21 year old son and his college roommate that will be sailing with us next April. They will be in an inside cabin near ours. 21 or not, if he even thought of being inconsiderate to another passenger, I would pull him aside and have a talk with him. Late night fun does not equal being rude to others or damaging property.

:):)

There's exceptions to all rules and outliers to all generalities. We took a short 4 night cruise last year on the Fascination (Carnival). Thursday to Monday is think. We normally do 7 night cruises but this was what has been described above - we need a break weekend cruise (although we still had to fly to port).

Anyway our experience couldn't have been further from a party boat. In fact it was probably the most sedate we've been on to date. Certainly more so than our cruises leaving out of Miami. There were a lot of seniors that apparently sent to bed at 9. Not that there's anything wrong with that just mentioning it because it certainly contradicts the stereotype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our first cruise was a four-day over spring break. We had no idea what we were doing when we booked it! It was a total booze cruise and we don't drink much at all. Yet we still had a good time! :o I found it wasn't that hard to not allow others' partying to impact my vacation. That was in 1997 on the Holiday out of San Pedro. Since then we've gone on nothing shorter than 7-day cruises.

Well, fast forward to now and I find myself 30 days away from a three-day B2B with a four-day out of Long Beach on the Inspiration. I'm totally aware it will be more of a party cruise than we're used to, but as long as people aren't falling down drunk into my lap, I'm thinking we'll be fine. It'll be interesting to see if the first leg--a three-day starting on Friday--is more of a party atmosphere than the four-day.

I don't really think this was a situation re: a shorter cruise but we took a 5 day on the Inspiration for our honeymoon last Oct. We were in U168, which is the second OV cabin aft of the elevators-port side. There was a large family traveling together that had several rooms grouped together. They would keep their cabin doors open and use the hallway as an extension of their personal area. One night, we were in bed, not yet sleeping, but it was late and two of the children, perhaps 4 and 6 were playing hide & seek in the hallway and using the elevator banks as home-base. They tapped on each door as they passed and yelled back and forth to each other. This was a game that they played on a regular basis, I'm guessing they played in the halls-- to keep them out of their parent's cabin and keep them close-by and occupied because this went on mornings and some afternoons as well.

Well I opened the door and very politely asked them to keep their voices and down a bit as we as well as others had an early excrusion the next morning. They must have gone back and said something to a parent because from that point on, it was total hell for us. Ringing phone at all hours, our room service hangers missing each night. Decorations from our door torn or missing etc....... I was sure it was them and because of this incident, as the first call started immediately. I called security and they told me that unless they actually witnessed anything themselves, there was nothing that could be done.

I could understand this if I would have yelled at the child, but I didn't. I just asked for them to please stop the yelling and the running back and forth tapping on the doors as they went through. I would have talked to the mother or father, but they were no where to be found when we opened our door.

The other half of the family group were teenagers sharing adjoining inside cabins caddy-corner from us. They would come back late night 2,3 am and make sure to knock loudly on our cabin door then run into their rooms.

This happend in the middle of the cruise so thankfully we only had to put up with it for a couple of days. I did take down our door decorations and started setting our alarm to put our our room service card at 4:45 am, as they need to be out there by 5am. It was just an example of really bad parenting. The hallway is public space not a playyard. This is just my opinion, for whatever it's worth, but having a group of rooms together and leaving the doors open to yell and run back and forth between rooms is very inconsiderate of other passengers.

We didn't let it ruin our cruise and tried to ignore them as not to exasperate any situations. It was very clear that these were not the kind of people that we could reason or talk to.

:(

It sounds like you made the best of a bad situation. It's a shame when people can be so inconsiderate. DD and I were at the beach a few weeks ago and those very people must have been in the rooms on either side of us--we had a very similar experience. On our first cruise--a four-day over spring break--we were next to partying college kids. We made the best of it, but walked off the ship very sleep-deprived. :(

Archived