should I risk taking a box of wine?

karen of PA

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Based on your suggestions and admonishments, I have decided not to take a box of wine. I'm not a "rule breaker" and even if I did get away with it, I wouldn't enjoy drinking my wine because of the guilt I would be feeling. I will either purchase the wine at the airport or have our driver stop at a liquor store on our way to the port.

Thanks also for the travel tips. This "community of cruisers" is awesome!

Karen

5.gif..........way to go girl. At least you will now not have to worry about it while boarding. ;):D

Just another thing to consider when deciding between box or bottle....last cruise we brought on two 1.5L bottles, same quantity as one box but we prefer white wine and it has to be chilled. I don't know how you'd fit a box of wine in the small cabin fridges to get it chilled properly. We had to take out the bottles that were already in there just to fit one of our large bottles as well as a few cans of the diet pop that we brought. Our fridge was ok at keeping a chilled bottle chilled but we pretty much had to drop the room temperature bottle in an ice bucket to get it that way initially. Wouldn't want to tempt that with a box, even if it would fit in the ice bucket. Just something to think about:rolleyes:

Oh pooh

I take wine boxes from home alla time. If you want it chilled, take the bladder out of the box & ask the cabin attendant to put it in an ice bucket. It's a little awkward siphoning off the wine, but not a prob really. Sometimes you have to show the attendant how to take out the bladder.After that, they just keep it on ice daily.:)

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Based on your suggestions and admonishments, I have decided not to take a box of wine. I'm not a "rule breaker" and even if I did get away with it, I wouldn't enjoy drinking my wine because of the guilt I would be feeling. I will either purchase the wine at the airport or have our driver stop at a liquor store on our way to the port.

Thanks also for the travel tips. This "community of cruisers" is awesome!

Karen

Good job, Karen. Don't worry about the wine as you'll have the opportunity to buy it duty-free at the airport. Because of weight restrictions with luggage, we didn't even bring any wine with us. It was a no-brainer to get it at the airport and put it in our carry-on totes for boarding. We had wine glasses in our cabin and our steward brought us an angel wings bottle opener at our request.

Take two boxes. In my experience it has never been a problem.

I once packed eighteen bottles of wine.The wine was a gift to my son,so I was only transporting th wine. I figured (hoped) the wine would be held (confiscated) until the end of the cruise. I spent an entire week tripping

over that wiine filled suitcase.

We are going on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise next week. We have a private transport to the port and I guess I could have the driver stop at a liquor/wine store on the way to pick up wine. However, I have never been to Europe and I feel so intimidated.

I know the rules about only taking two bottles of wine. I was just wondering if anyone ever packed a small box of wine in their checked luggage. If I got sent to the naughty room, I would be humiliated. Not sure it is worth the risk. What do you think?

Karen

In a word : NO !

Rules are rules, that simple.

There is a risk in putting a box of wine in your luggage. If the bladder breaks, your clothes will be a real mess.

Also, even though you are not breaking the law sneaking in wine, it still violates a rule. I personally don't think it is a good idea. At least Celebrity allows you to bring two bottles with you.

As for buying drinks on show, we found that frequently the cost of a beer ashore is close to one onboard. This was especially true in France.

On the Celebrity Equinox it's not a "naughty" room but the 2nd deck gangway area but we just bought 2 bottles of wine allowed in the port city and brought them on board. I had a leatherman tool knife in one of the bags and when that bag did not show up at room I took the proactive approach and went down there before they contacted us and told them what was in there. They had me open the bag, took it out, gave me a receipt and it was returned when we were leaving on final day. No big deal. What they did not find was the Shampbooze bottle with my wife's cocktail mixture that was in the same bag.

http://www.smugglemug.com/shampbooze-stealth-cruise-liquor-flasks/

If you have the overnight in Istanbul go up to Taksim Square at night and walk down Istiklal Street towards the Galta Bridge. We took a cab from the port for 7 Euro and there is also a Tünel funicular near end of the tram line (go right leaving port) that will take you up there. Taskim Square makes Times Square look like a small town on Friday nights and is filled with locals club hoping and just having a good time. Eat a "wet burger" and be sure to buy an ice cream cone from one of the street vendors who love to mess with you before finally giving you your cone. Stop in a hookah bar. Very safe even towards the end where it narrows down near all the music stores. Check out the kids hanging around the steps near the Galta Tower, where there is a restaurant and show at night. The walk was one of the highlights of our trip. During the day the same street has a ton of shopping options and if you go up in the Galta Tower you get amazing 360 degree views of the city and you realize just how big Istanbul really is. There is a Tünel funicular across the street from the tram stop just before the bridge that will take you up near the tower.

http://www.greatistanbul.com/taksim.htm

My question is a little off topic but I'll go ahead and ask here first.

On my last X cruise I and my friend each brought on a bottle of wine in our carry on. We left it in our backpacks which were scanned. No one made any mention of the wine and we went right on to checking in. I did see that a few people seemed to be checking things over to the side and most had wine but we were never directed to that area.

My question is; is bringing on wine usually that simple or do they normally assign each bottle to its appropriate cabin, or is it checked in? Could my friend and I have actually brought on 2 bottles each? What if we got back off the ship and went through security again with additional bottles?

I'm fine with just bringing 2 bottles per stateroom as i rarely drink and can usually get plenty on shore, but I was curious if we had the normal experience for bringing on wine or if we somehow slid under the radar? What were the people gathered to the side doing with their wine? what should I expect in the future when bringing on wine?

I can't imagine any practical way that security could correlate the numbers of bottles individuals are bringing on board and keep track of what is in which cabin. The time and effort involved wouldn't make sense.

I would check with my roll call and see if anyone is aware of a liquor store close to the port. You'd be surprised what seasoned travellers know and others on your cruise may be wanting to purchase wine too. Also, I would not pack wine in my checked luggage. We had friends who did that rather than carry the wine on to the ship in their carryon. The wine was confiscated from their checked luggage and to this day, they don't know why. They complained and were given two bottles of wine but it wasn't as good as the wine that was confiscated.

Hi Karen

I'm also from PA and trying Celebrity next year for the first time -also the Med.

I know you got alot of info (& scoldings) but I'd be too worried about the wine breaking we had that happen on the way home a couple years ago. Luckily it was on the way home, but I lost a bottle of good German wine. :(

You'll be amazed at what you can get in European airports. I bet you'll be able to get wine after you land. Or if you're coming in a day ahead, your hotel should be able to tell you where you can get some.

Enjoy your trip

I think a lot of people have forgotten that Celebrity's restrictions on the amount or wine or liquor that can be taken about a ship was not just an arbitrary decision. It was a policy that was made because of the George Smith tragedy on Brilliance of the Seas where too much alcohol played a major role.

Really??? I don't think so. It was purely about the bottom line. It's a good excuse though. :rolleyes:

Celbrity had adopted a no alcohol allowed to be brought aboard, before we took our first Celebrity cruise on the Horizon. That was a very long time ago.

Oh pooh

I take wine boxes from home alla time. If you want it chilled, take the bladder out of the box & ask the cabin attendant to put it in an ice bucket. It's a little awkward siphoning off the wine, but not a prob really. Sometimes you have to show the attendant how to take out the bladder.After that, they just keep it on ice daily.:)

Over the years I've taken bottles of wine and wine in a box on all cruiselines I've been on except Azamara. At times I've taken 4 bottles, but only 2 per suitcase. I've never had them break in my suitcase or been talked too. I'm traveling with 4 to 10 people and we have a glass of wine before dinner in our rooms/balconies. We like to get our rooms next to each other and open the balconies up when we can. I've brought a bottle of wine to dinner one night. It was a friends favorite wine. I didnt have a problem paying the corking fee. They open it, pour and store the bottle for you. We are now all diamond and Elite so we dont pack much wine anymore and visit the happy hour before dinner. Our next cruise is in 74 days. Richard:)

It's Europe... not even sure they would sell boxed wine. Seems like that's a north american thing. :p

Just pick up 2-4 bottles of GOOD wine and enjoy your trip.

Of course we have boxed wine in Europe.

my question is: are the people manning the scanners (ie:the wine police) port employees or X employees? so are they different in every port or coming along with the ship?

can the allowed 2 bottles of wine be in either your checked luggage OR carry ons?

and we have bought boxed wine in Rome which IMO was drinkable

you know on a port instensive cruise (ie: Europe) I'm not going to purchase a drink package for the price they want - too much time off the ship.

and on my wish list for changes to the X product - please offer to sell me on the ship bottles of either liquor or wine to take to my room for a reasonable mark-up. It just seems to me the prices of the bottles are awfully steep, higher than normal restaurant mark-ups?, esp. if I want to consume them on my balcony. I'll pay you 2X the price of the bottle, but I balk at 3 times or more.

I just don't get it! People spend thousands on a cruise and penny pinch on the small stuff.

I wonder that too when I see these posts about smuggling small amounts of liquor on board. Relative to the overall price of the cruise is bringing on a few drinks really worth the hassle?

I wonder that too when I see these posts about smuggling small amounts of liquor on board. Relative to the overall price of the cruise is bringing on a few drinks really worth the hassle?

Sascol - I think that most people who try to smuggle liquor aboard a ship do so because they get a thrill from pulling a fast one.

my question is: are the people manning the scanners (ie:the wine police) port employees or X employees? so are they different in every port or coming along with the ship?

can the allowed 2 bottles of wine be in either your checked luggage OR carry ons?

and we have bought boxed wine in Rome which IMO was drinkable

you know on a port instensive cruise (ie: Europe) I'm not going to purchase a drink package for the price they want - too much time off the ship.

and on my wish list for changes to the X product - please offer to sell me on the ship bottles of either liquor or wine to take to my room for a reasonable mark-up. It just seems to me the prices of the bottles are awfully steep, higher than normal restaurant mark-ups?, esp. if I want to consume them on my balcony. I'll pay you 2X the price of the bottle, but I balk at 3 times or more.

The scanner are on ship so it would be x employees

Port scanner would be looking for illegal stuff

As indicated earlier before it was 'censored' if you are bothered about taking bottles onboard take the boxes, remove the bladders from the boxes and place them in a vacum back so if the bag does spring a leak it wont go over your clothes.........The bags are best if they are the plastic type and not the metalic one.

:D:D:D

The day before my cruise, I'm planning on soaking my tuxedo in spirits

and then allow it to dry in the sun. As soon as I make it past security, I'll

"activate" my clothes in the sink with some water and enjoy a highball! :p

Archived