should I risk taking a box of wine?

karen of PA

On our Equinox med cruise we bought a wine box in duty free at Manchester airport and carried it on board with no problems. Just as well- we needed it to drown our sorrows as it was the only luggage that made it to cabin as suitcases were lost for whole of cruise!!:(

I think a lot of people have forgotten that Celebrity's restrictions on the amount or wine or liquor that can be taken about a ship was not just an arbitrary decision. It was a policy that was made because of the George Smith tragedy on Brilliance of the Seas where too much alcohol played a major role.

......and now they sell an unlimited beverage package? Color me skeptical.

I guess the message is that it's fine to overindulge if you pay Celebrity for the privilege.

Celebrity may gain financially from this policy, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was a response to the legal and financial problems that Royal Caribbean incurred from the George Smith tragedy. That may not have been when their policy on liquor originated, but there was definitely a lot of press after this tragedy about its enforcement.

As I stated in a previous post, Disney allows its passengers to bring a box of wine on their cruises, but a Disney cruise cost three times as much as a Celebrity cruise and attracts a very different demographic than Celebrity.

On Cunard and P&O you are allowed to take wine and spirits for use in your cabin. I believe Azamara have the same policy. P&O actually also allow you to buy spirits from their duty free shop to use whilst on board. I certainly didn't see anyone who had had too much to drink and there were plenty frequenting the bars so no loss of revenue. Passengers acted like the grown ups the cruise line believed them to be.

It really does cause so much upset so why don't other lines follow their adult lead.

On Cunard and P&O you are allowed to take wine and spirits for use in your cabin. I believe Azamara have the same policy. P&O actually also allow you to buy spirits from their duty free shop to use whilst on board. I certainly didn't see anyone who had had too much to drink and there were plenty frequenting the bars so no loss of revenue. Passengers acted like the grown ups the cruise line believed them to be.

It really does cause so much upset so why don't other lines follow their adult lead.

Jenna - most of the cruise lines you mentioned are a lot more expensive than Celebrity and attract a different demographic.

The policy is enforced in a very inconsistent way. On a recent cruise in the Mediterranean, we took two bottles of wine at boarding. At the first port of call we saw some wine with our family name on it, so bought four bottles to take home, fully expecting it to be stored for us until the end of the cruise. We carried it quite openly, it went through the scanner and we were just allowed to take it to our cabin. Needless to say it didn't make it home.

Sheila

Jan,

I have already decided not to take a box of wine. I am either going to buy two bottles of wine at the airport or have our driver stop at a liquor store on the way to the port. Having a glass of wine on our balcony is one of the highlights of our cruises. I would be really upset if I were chastised for bringing a box of wine onboard. This way, I can enjoy my guilt free wine.

Karen

Jenna - most of the cruise lines you mentioned are a lot more expensive than Celebrity and attract a different demographic.

Princess and Holland America, both very comparable in price to Celebrity, allow you to bring on unlimited wine. I've not noticed any problems with alcohol abuse on any of my cruises with those two lines.

Sascol - I think that most people who try to smuggle liquor aboard a ship do so because they get a thrill from pulling a fast one.

I don't know about the "most people" reference.

There are those who scrimp to afford a cruise on Celebrity who feel very fortunate to be able to take one vacation to the Mediterranean, Caribbean, wherever in a lifetime. Met a couple with limited resources who'd been gifted an inside cabin to the Med last summer. They'd saved enough for gratuities and a few independent shore excursions. But two-three cocktails per person/day on a 12 day cruise would have covered a LOT sightseeing in port.

They brought their smuggled vodka laced lemonade over a few times to enjoy while we had our wine.

There could be folks reading this thread who feel intimidated by other's judgment. It's terrific that so many people can enjoy cruising, even those on a tight budget. Rules are in place for our own protection. But who are any of us to judge whether someone breaks the rules just because they like to "pull a fast one"?

There are those who scrimp to afford a cruise on Celebrity who feel very fortunate to be able to take one vacation to the Mediterranean, Caribbean, wherever in a lifetime. Met a couple with limited resources who'd been gifted an inside cabin to the Med last summer. They'd saved enough for gratuities and a few independent shore excursions. But two-three cocktails per person/day on a 12 day cruise would have covered a LOT sightseeing in port.

They brought their smuggled vodka laced lemonade over a few times to enjoy while we had our wine.

There could be folks reading this thread who feel intimidated by other's judgment. It's terrific that so many people can enjoy cruising, even those on a tight budget. Rules are in place for our own protection. But who are any of us to judge whether someone breaks the rules just because they like to "pull a fast one"?

Petoonya, you make good points that cruisers are not cookie cutter figures. People are different. Breaking a cruise line rule is not illegal. If it doesn't affect other cruisers, then I am not planning to castigate such a person.

However, as a person with free will, I can make any judgement that I wish regarding that person's actions.

There may be some people that don't the tie that I wear with my blue suit. Others might make a judgment that I should have worn a tux on formal night. Not a problem, that is their judgment.

One rule that I do have a problem with is violating the X smoking rules. That one directly affects me as a non-smoker.

Petoonya - A nice suit or tux costs a lot more than the amount of liquor we are discussing. Does that mean someone who has scrimped and saved to take a cruise should use that as an excuse to wear a tee shirt in the main dining room on formal night?

BTW - I consider smuggling liquor or more wine than is allowed aboard a ship to be much worse than not following a dress code aboard a ship. To me smuggling liquor aboard a ship is comparable to misrepresenting what is in a package that is mailed or shipped in order to send something that is not allowed to be mailed or shipped.

Petoonya - A nice suit or tux costs a lot more than the amount of liquor we are discussing. Does that mean someone who has scrimped and saved to take a cruise should use that as an excuse to wear a tee shirt in the main dining room on formal night?

BTW - I consider smuggling liquor or more wine than is allowed aboard a ship to be much worse than not following a dress code aboard a ship. To me smuggling liquor aboard a ship is comparable to misrepresenting what is in a package that is mailed or shipped in order to send something that is not allowed to be mailed or shipped.

Hi Bridge Maven,

I guess I'm confused as to why you think someone who has scrimped may not have a suit?

The couple that I mentioned above wore respectable clothing throughout the cruise, and the gentleman wore a suit to formal nights. Just because you may scrimp, does not mean you may not have a suit in the closet, although it may not have been purchased in the last five years or be from Nordstrom.

We'll have to agree to disagree on smuggling liquor on board vs. mailing hazardous restricted items. One example is hurting no one and is no one else's business; the second is a federal offense.

Petoonya, you make good points that cruisers are not cookie cutter figures. People are different. Breaking a cruise line rule is not illegal. If it doesn't affect other cruisers, then I am not planning to castigate such a person.

However, as a person with free will, I can make any judgement that I wish regarding that person's actions.

There may be some people that don't the tie that I wear with my blue suit. Others might make a judgment that I should have worn a tux on formal night. Not a problem, that is their judgment.

One rule that I do have a problem with is violating the X smoking rules. That one directly affects me as a non-smoker.

Agree 100% that we are free to make any judgment we wish. However, while not a religious person, I heartily agree with the words, "judge not lest ye be judged". I present an alternate viewpoint, yet anyone is is free to pass judgment all they like.

Like you say an action that doesn't harm others is hurting no one. Yet an action that does, like smoking, interferes with my breathing clean air and is highly objectionable. I'll not only judge it, I'll fight it :)

Best wishes to everyone.

Hi Bridge Maven,

I guess I'm confused as to why you think someone who has scrimped may not have a suit?

The couple that I mentioned above wore respectable clothing throughout the cruise, and the gentleman wore a suit to formal nights. Just because you may scrimp, does not mean you may not have a suit in the closet, although it may not have been purchased in the last five years or be from Nordstrom.

We'll have to agree to disagree on smuggling liquor on board vs. mailing hazardous restricted items. One example is hurting no one and is no one else's business; the second is a federal offense.

Petoonya - there are a number of men on cruise critic, who have posted that they don't own a suit, which is why I made that analogy.

There are many restrictions on what can be included in a package that is sent outside the United States that are not hazardous materials, which is why I compared it to smuggling liquor aboard a ship.

Frankly, couldn't care less who smuggles alcohol. However, I would mind seeing/hearing some loud drunks!

One year, we had been to a hotel,precruise. They had given us a bottle of wine, which we didn't drink, so we brought it on board. Although we were travelling with friends, we couldn't find a time to drink it. Finally, on the last day, I said I am not taking this home with me. Either we drink it, or I just leave it in the cabin. End of story, four couple shared the bottle on the terrace outside the buffet. The bartender was very nice. He opened the bottle! No charge!

Archived