Cruise critic on board

Puttaround

I have never notified Princess and there are no perks.

You may want to join the Roll Call. There you can meet others sailing with you. To join, Click Boards at the top of this page, Scroll down to Roll Calls, click on your cruise line, Click on your ship. Find the thread for your sailing.

Hate to say it but there are times it is NOT a great thing for the crew to know you are on CC. THIS IS THE EXCEPTION!! I'm not bashing CC.

Several years ago I was on a cruise where the CC group was very vocal and I saw a few times where they sort of invoked the name of CC as a threat for preferred treatment. Had I been the CD I would have lost my job (and gone to prison) as I mustered them all to get in a life raft and set them loose.

This is not normal as I said but you can imagine the crew response for at least several sailings after would not be warm and fuzzy.

Things I saw... Saving large blocks of loungers for CC members that never showed. Seats in the theater same way.

Once their self appointed leader was quite openly dressing down the hostess at an anytime dining venue for not having room for all of them (28 I think) to dine in close prox tables. HE was Elite AND on CC!!!!

Please note this was ONCE in 26 sailings. The fact it has ever happened makes me timid about telling crew I am a member.

On a more general note - there would be zero advantage to Princess to offer perks to members of a open signup web site...

The only thing close to a perk is that if someone arranges a meet and greet and invites the officer and they show up, you can get a little face time which can be handy if you ever have an issue that needs resolution.

Flip side. There are numerous reports of people affiliating themselves with cruise CRITIC making themselves a magnet for complaints. (When I arranged the M+G on the Island I had it listed as CC Meet and Greet)

"There are numerous reports of people affiliating themselves with cruise CRITIC making themselves a magnet for complaints. (When I arranged the M+G on the Island I had it listed as CC Meet and Greet)"

Might not always be a good idea to identify yourself as a CC member, especially if you post a lot and get to be well known on this forum as the goto person for answers. Following is from a cruise review and last post of a person who had over 40,000 posts, but who finally had enough and hasn't posted since last year. There have been others who did the same.

"We had a very large roll call before this cruise, 250 plus if memory serves me correctly. But afraid this cruise group really did us both in. It seems many didn’t attend the meetings onboard, but thought it would be fun to just rely on calling our suite for any and all information that might be needed for upcoming ports, and transportation off the ship to the ports for the private tours. With the phone in our suite ringing constantly (yes, I am exaggerating a bit here, but it was enough to call it constant onboard a cruise. while showering, sleeping, dining, relaxing) the first two weeks, all of the messages left on the phone for call backs, the knocks on the door at all hours, and notes left for me to respond to, it became just a bit more than I (or my DH) could handle on a very expensive vacation. Our phone had to have rang 50 times (or more) during that 1st two weeks, with those worrying how they were going to get off the ship in time to make the tours, some not even remembering when the tour was, or in what port. I don’t think any of these callers ever took into consideration that we were also on our cruise, and were not a paid tour provider, and that all information will be shared at the scheduled M&G’s that were posted before we left, all they had to do was attend at the specific time and place."

Flip side. There are numerous reports of people affiliating themselves with cruise CRITIC making themselves a magnet for complaints. (When I arranged the M+G on the Island I had it listed as CC Meet and Greet)
I've experienced this many times, particularly if there is a mention in the Patter or a sign saying its a Cruise Critic meeting. The definition of a "critic" is "someone who expresses a value judgment." Some people interpret a CC get-together as a cruise line bashing session.

I'm horrified that someone or a group would demand perks or favors for being on CC or threaten social media justice if they don't. That is awful.

The "perks" for being on CC are: getting to meet fellow cruisers, tips and information on everything from where the best spot for scenic viewing is to where to find a quiet spot, what to expect on a cruise, shared private excursions and so much more.

Some of the roll calls make up names for the group swuch as "Star Voyagers" or "Golden Gauchos."

If the meetings are listed as for "Star Voyagers" or whatever, it will not attract people who just want to come and complain.

Hate to say it but there are times it is NOT a great thing for the crew to know you are on CC. THIS IS THE EXCEPTION!! I'm not bashing CC.

Several years ago I was on a cruise where the CC group was very vocal and I saw a few times where they sort of invoked the name of CC as a threat for preferred treatment. Had I been the CD I would have lost my job (and gone to prison) as I mustered them all to get in a life raft and set them loose.

This is not normal as I said but you can imagine the crew response for at least several sailings after would not be warm and fuzzy.

Things I saw... Saving large blocks of loungers for CC members that never showed. Seats in the theater same way.

Once their self appointed leader was quite openly dressing down the hostess at an anytime dining venue for not having room for all of them (28 I think) to dine in close prox tables. HE was Elite AND on CC!!!!

Please note this was ONCE in 26 sailings. The fact it has ever happened makes me timid about telling crew I am a member.

You can tell who those people are, with some of their complaints. I get tired of reading useless complaints, they just make justifiably complaints useless.

Some of the roll calls make up names for the group swuch as "Star Voyagers" or "Golden Gauchos."

If the meetings are listed as for "Star Voyagers" or whatever, it will not attract people who just want to come and complain.

I have allso seen it listed as Cruise Critic.Com - Members only

Wow! I'm a little surprised by these posts. Maybe I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time), but I thought CC was just to meet people & get info. I have noticed that some people think they are the last word on cruising or specific destination cruises. Do these people REALLY act entitled on the ship? It makes me rethink doing a meet & greet. I assumed some of the stuff that is said or happens on here is in the heat of the moment ( I can get a little opinionated myself sometimes :o) & not a true reflection of how the person really is. Am I wrong??

Wow! I'm a little surprised by these posts. Maybe I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time), but I thought CC was just to meet people & get info. I have noticed that some people think they are the last word on cruising or specific destination cruises. Do these people REALLY act entitled on the ship? It makes me rethink doing a meet & greet. I assumed some of the stuff that is said or happens on here is in the heat of the moment ( I can get a little opinionated myself sometimes :o) & not a true reflection of how the person really is. Am I wrong??

I have not encountered any of the problems listed above.

I believe one situation invloved the Star with Richard Joseph as the CD.

Richard dealt with the rath of a passenger (not a CC member) who barged into a CC M&G demanding to air his dissatisfaction with the cruise as his view of the meeting was "Cruise Critic" where one can go and bitch about whats wrong with his cruise. Richard Joseph is the definition of a "Consumate Host" and handled the situation with grace. :)

I've experienced this many times, particularly if there is a mention in the Patter or a sign saying its a Cruise Critic meeting. The definition of a "critic" is "someone who expresses a value judgment." Some people interpret a CC get-together as a cruise line bashing session.

I'm horrified that someone or a group would demand perks or favors for being on CC or threaten social media justice if they don't. That is awful.

The "perks" for being on CC are: getting to meet fellow cruisers, tips and information on everything from where the best spot for scenic viewing is to where to find a quiet spot, what to expect on a cruise, shared private excursions and so much more.

Well said Pam. I gave met some wonderful people on our roll call and subsequently at the M and Gs.

In retrospect, I bet CC wishes they had chosen a name that did not include the word Critic in it.

I remember that review. Its a reason I don't give out our cabin number and don't do cabin crawls. Also, when I did the M+G all of my nametags had first names and city/state only. People who saw me out and about, if they wanted to ask me something or say hi, fine. But the cabin is off limits unless you are on a tour I arranged.

"There are numerous reports of people affiliating themselves with cruise CRITIC making themselves a magnet for complaints. (When I arranged the M+G on the Island I had it listed as CC Meet and Greet)"

Might not always be a good idea to identify yourself as a CC member, especially if you post a lot and get to be well known on this forum as the goto person for answers. Following is from a cruise review and last post of a person who had over 40,000 posts, but who finally had enough and hasn't posted since last year. There have been others who did the same.

"We had a very large roll call before this cruise, 250 plus if memory serves me correctly. But afraid this cruise group really did us both in. It seems many didn’t attend the meetings onboard, but thought it would be fun to just rely on calling our suite for any and all information that might be needed for upcoming ports, and transportation off the ship to the ports for the private tours. With the phone in our suite ringing constantly (yes, I am exaggerating a bit here, but it was enough to call it constant onboard a cruise. while showering, sleeping, dining, relaxing) the first two weeks, all of the messages left on the phone for call backs, the knocks on the door at all hours, and notes left for me to respond to, it became just a bit more than I (or my DH) could handle on a very expensive vacation. Our phone had to have rang 50 times (or more) during that 1st two weeks, with those worrying how they were going to get off the ship in time to make the tours, some not even remembering when the tour was, or in what port. I don’t think any of these callers ever took into consideration that we were also on our cruise, and were not a paid tour provider, and that all information will be shared at the scheduled M&G’s that were posted before we left, all they had to do was attend at the specific time and place."

It is amazing the "me first" attitude. I also remember that specific post... It broke my heart that her dream trip of a lifetime became a nightmare. I also learned a lot through her experience on that cruise.

I do wish she would come back to CC. I miss her sage advice. I hope she is well and happy (and maybe even lurking;))...

It is amazing the "me first" attitude. I also remember that specific post... It broke my heart that her dream trip of a lifetime became a nightmare. I also learned a lot through her experience on that cruise.

I do wish she would come back to CC. I miss her sage advice. I hope she is well and happy (and maybe even lurking;))...

Ditto that. Well said, Tracie.

Thankfully I've never experienced such a ridiculous situation but could see it happening because of a few CC members who believe it entitles them to some sort of special treatment. Some people are just like that & it doesn't matter if they're CC members or not because they believe they're entitled to special treatment.

Once again thanks for expressing the feelings of the overwhelming majority of us who enjoy participating in Cruise Critic. :)

She is well, happy and, I think, occasionally lurking although she's been very, very busy lately.

She is well, happy and, I think, occasionally lurking although she's been very, very busy lately.

I super glad to hear this! Thanks, Pam, for passing along the good news. For all of her years PF selfless service on these boards, she certainly deserved better... I will be really happy when and if she decides to return.

Now, if we can just guarantee that you will always stick around... ;)

Archived