Canadian News on Alaska Sailings out Vancouver?

SilvertoGold

Although I like to forget things on a cruise I do like to at least have an overview of what has happened - and no, I don't want to use internet time to do it :eek: I am hoping that solocanadian's incident is an isolated one.

New York Times does not do it for us - we want to know what is happening in Canada - even if it's mostly in Ontario (and we leave in the Maritimes) something is better than nothing - especially for 31 days;)

Although I like to forget things on a cruise I do like to at least have an overview of what has happened - and no, I don't want to use internet time to do it :eek: I am hoping that solocanadian's incident is an isolated one.

New York Times does not do it for us - we want to know what is happening in Canada - even if it's mostly in Ontario (and we leave in the Maritimes) something is better than nothing - especially for 31 days;)

I'd even settle for 2 facts: what's the TSX up to? Where's the C$ vis a vis US$?

No, those data aren't important to me on a day-to-day basis. But if you learn only that, you can pretty much deduce the rest. :eek:

We live in Calgary. We get REALLY tired of hearing the the Ontario centric news. Don' they know about the economic shift and the population migration????

Like the OP mainly want to know TSX and the currencies- CAD, GBP, Euro and USD.

Don't care about the politics-especially the current crew in Ottawa. It is the same old same old...we are wonderful, the other guy did it, yata yata yata.

Yes I did. The front desk took my name, cabin number & said they would have it deliverd to my cabin if they printed them. Never happened. After 3 or 4 days of my 2 week cruise I gave up looking for it.

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry that they were unable to deliver a Canadian paper to you.

Were you able to buy a Canadian news paper at any of your ports of call?

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry that they were unable to deliver a Canadian paper to you.

Were you able to buy a Canadian news paper at any of your ports of call?

I'm not solocanadian, but I can answer that.

No.

I hope solocanadian doesn't feel as picked on as I'd feel at this point.

All I want are the hockey scores.

FUNN-ee.

Pull the other one, it has bells on. :D

(For those whose religion is NOT hockey, the regular NHL season doesn't exactly coincide with the Alaska cruise season. OK, all right, yeah, the actual Cup final games, maybe. Maybe.)

I'm not solocanadian, but I can answer that.

No.

I hope solocanadian doesn't feel as picked on as I'd feel at this point.

I am not picking on solocanadian, I know how very difficult it is to try and get news of my home country when travelling abroad.

Am surprised that Canadian newspapers are not available in Alaska.

erewhon, I suspect there's no profit in foreign newspapers in Alaska or anywhere else. They're time sensitive, not lightweight, and have low legitimate profit margins. Given transportation issues, Alaskan cruise ports probably have enough trouble stocking The Grey Lady or WSJ.

Even before the proliferation of the internet, back in the early 1990's, it was very difficult indeed to get Canadian newspapers in U.S. cities smaller than, say, 1 million. Even in Florida during snowbird season, I'd drive up to Tampa, having prepaid $5 for a 50 cent newspaper, get one 3 - 7 days old, and consider myself lucky.

Often - with varying degrees of courtesy - it was suggested I just read the New York Times.

Nowadays? Just hop on the internet, obviously. But hopefully, not at cruise ship prices of 65 cents a minute.

It seems to be human nature everyone is concerned about getting their own local news, but puzzled why anyone else thinks theirs is worth any special effort.

Perhaps I should bookmark this thread and link it next time someone from Armpit (a bustling town of 900) asks if HAL will carry their very important local college ball game. And if not, WHY not? :)

Archived