Unusual computer question

CathyCruises

I have read lots of posts in my 5 years as a member of CC, but have never seen this question. My BIL is going with us to Alaska. He asked if he could use the onboard computers at no charge to do some work if he brought all his data with him on memory sticks. I had no idea how to answer that! Any thoughts?

I have read lots of posts in my 5 years as a member of CC, but have never seen this question. My BIL is going with us to Alaska. He asked if he could use the onboard computers at no charge to do some work if he brought all his data with him on memory sticks. I had no idea how to answer that! Any thoughts?

I am sure it will depend on the attitude of the computer boss. I know on one cruise I asked if I could use my stick as I was doing a 'live from' off line and then pasting it and they said - reluctantly - yes but on another cruise I was told definitely NO

It may be worth contacting head office first and seeing if you can get a sympathetic reply emphasising it is necessary work, which you can take with you in case the computer person is un helpful

Why doesn't he just bring a laptop? :confused:

The answer is obviously NO.

The use of computers at no charge would never be approved by anyone, no matter how "nice" they were. The computers are profit centers!

Why doesn't he just bring a laptop? :confused:

That would be the obvious choice, right? He's a bit different. I told him I didn't think it would work but would ask. . .if it was that important, he certainly could bring one. He has an iPad, told him to figure out how to download whatever it is onto that. He is a high school teacher, it is the middle of summer, what could be so urgent????

No it takes internet time which you have to pay for as well as a per page printout.

Thanks, I thought so, but I was sure I had read there was a certain terminal to do that the day before your cruise ends and that it was complimentary, oh well, maybe there is a place in victoria to do it.

i've printed boarding passes for free but must use internet time to check in for flights.

you could still check in and get the seat choice etc and then print your boarding pass at the airport.

What "data"is he bringing? Is he assuming that Microsoft Office or specific apps are installed on Princess computers? According to the Princess web site, their computers are for accessing web-based email accounts and for browsing web sites.

"Internet access is available on all Princess vessels through our 24-hour onboard Internet Cafe and wireless network -- which is available in staterooms and various public areas including our world famous Piazzas.*Use our state-of-the-art computer systems to access your web-based email account, or browse the Internet for world news, sports and stock trading.

Or bring your wireless-enabled laptop and access the Internet through our onboard wireless network.

Passengers who subscribe to email services from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) are advised to verify that their ISP has a web-mail viewing site prior to sailing. Most major ISPs have websites that allow email access via a web browser using an email address and password.

Please contact the Internet Café Manager onboard for information regarding the charges that apply to Internet and wireless services and any other specific requirements.

Plus – Platinum and Elite Captain’s Circle members benefit from credit toward Internet Café packages.

* Internet access via satellite is significantly slower than high-speed connections on shore. Princess Cruises reserves the right to filter content accessed via the ship's Internet services. Please note high bandwidth consuming applications such as voice over IP telephony, peer-to-peer file sharing and streaming media may be restricted onboard Princess vessels."

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/in_touch.jsp

There will be no application software available for use on the computers.
Right. The ship's computers even use a modified version of I.E. There are no applications or ability to do anything with the data. He should bring a laptop or netbook. Depending on what he needs to do, he could use his iPad.

Your the first one I have heard of. It went over an hour with no sucess the two times I tried it. never again. Print at the airport. end of story.

We didn't try it so I don't know if it works or not, just saw it in the patter. We didnt use our iPad or cell phones the entire cruise. It was fabulous!

Your the first one I have heard of. It went over an hour with no sucess the two times I tried it. never again. Print at the airport. end of story.

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand this obsession with printing out boarding passes before you get off the ship. It takes just a few moments at the airport.

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand this obsession with printing out boarding passes before you get off the ship. It takes just a few moments at the airport.

I don't understand it either and I've seen people get there knickers in twist trying to do this on land based trips. I've been at Disneyworld at Guest Services at Epcot, dealing with a non working annual pass(9am ish) and there was someone trying to get them to print off a Southwest boarding pass right at the 24 hr mark prior to the flight.

Isn't that why SWA offers the $10 Early Bird program, so you can get an A pass? Since SWA is buying Airtran(so long to those nice quiet biz class seats to Orlando), I need to swat up on their programs.

Mostly just wanted to check in, I was planning to print the passes at airport since I am checking bags anyway. We are flying on SW and will get later boarding(won't be able to sit together) if we check in more than a couple of hours after the 24hr check in. Didn't do the $10 early check in, but I guess it is still an option. I will just check in with my Iphone in Victoria.

Anyway, why the judgement about why people like to do certain things? (Like checking in or printing boarding passes) That is the thing I find so crazy about the travel boards, someone asks an innocent question, many people give very helpful information.(thanks!!!)...........then there are the ones who make comments about the posters question that make the question seem stupid and ask why they want to know, why they do that, what is the reason for this or that............funny really. I am glad that most people just remain helpful and positive. :)

The biggest reason why one cannot use a flash drive with the ship's computers is that it may be infected with a virus...

This right here, if it's not already it will eventually be policy that no one will be able to plug a non-Princess USB stick into ANY Princess computer.

You already have to buy a Princess USB stick to get digital copies of your photos, and per policy once you walk away with that USB stick you can't even go back and reuse it to get more photos (I asked about this on board just a few weeks ago)

USB transmission is the "best" ways to transmit viruses around to a closed system (one that is not attached to a public network)

I already won't let anyone else's usb stick to be plugged into my PC, nor do I share USB sticks. Safe-USB practice limits the chance I'll get any viruses - sure the odds are low but it just takes one to make your PC life a nightmare.

I didn't really get it either, until we checked our baggage at Calgary International to fly to Seattle for our cruise, I had already check in online and printed our passes. The lady at the counter next to us was on the same flight, but she did not check in online. The airline employee told her that she may not get a seat because she didn't check in online, and the flight was oversold, and all seats had been claimed. This was with Air Canada, and I don't know if this is regular practice for them or any other airlines, but that is what this lady was told.

Reason # 132 not to fly Air Canada :rolleyes: I only fly with them with I have to.

Archived