breakfast in Italy

Annabanana3

I was just reading a very entertaining thread about where to get an American style coffee in Venice. It was stated in this thread that you will not find an American style breakfast to go with said coffee. Can someone tell me what breakfast is like in Venice?

Breakfast in most if Italy is a croissant or a danish style sweet roll. Most hotels and B&Bs that serve breakfast will have some meats and cheeses, maybe some muslix, yogurt, hard boiled eggs seemed to be more common than any other type of eggs on out last trip. And coffee!!! Wonderful espressos and cappuccinos. Breakfast is usually a fairly small meal. Lunch for the Italians is usually quite a bit bigger. Make sure to save room for gelato.

We stayed at the wonderful Locanda Orseolo. Their breakfasts were delicious, and they would make "made to order" omelletes, too.

This is the breakfast buffet:

6671118103_3cf4044906_b.jpg

IMG_1577 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

This is the outstanding crepes (made to order):

6671120551_fed1e28f9d_b.jpg

IMG_1584 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

This is the incredible cappuccino:

6671121455_1158f8473b_b.jpg

IMG_1581 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

They serve delicious Blood Orange Juice.

Enjoy your visit to Venice!

I found it impossible to find decent "American" coffee in Europe. Period. The coffee was strong, bitter, and had sludge (not grounds but sludge) in the bottom of every cup.

I drank tea pretty much every morning. That's the same.

I found it impossible to find decent "American" coffee in Europe. Period. The coffee was strong, bitter, and had sludge (not grounds but sludge) in the bottom of every cup.

sounds like my kind of coffee ;)

You may want to try Starbucks Via. It really is good. We can purchase it at Costco, which is much cheaper than the Starbucks Store.

Here is a link:

http://www.starbucksstore.com/coffee/starbucks-via-ready-brew,default,sc.html?cm_mmc=Google-_-Brand-+VIA-_-VIA-_-VIA

You may want to try Starbucks Via. It really is good. We can purchase it at Costco, which is much cheaper than the Starbucks Store.

Here is a link:

http://www.starbucksstore.com/coffee/starbucks-via-ready-brew,default,sc.html?cm_mmc=Google-_-Brand-+VIA-_-VIA-_-VIA

??? I was talking about not being able to order a cup of American style coffee in Europe, not buying European style coffee in the US. (And I can't stand Starbucks coffee)

those buffet pictures looked the typical breakfast buffet I see at hotels wherever I travel in Europe - meats, cheeses, muesli, yogurt, some fruit and juices and pastries. Any buffet that has muesli (not just a bowl of the grains, I want it mixed and "marinated" with the yogurt, nuts, seeds, shredded apple) and any kind of yogurt is my kind of buffet. If my hotel has such a spread, I'll eat. If they don't, I'll head to the local coffee spot and get my yummy strong, bitter, sludgy cup of caffe and a cornetto/croissant/tartine/some German pastry.

??? I was talking about not being able to order a cup of American style coffee in Europe, not buying European style coffee in the US. (And I can't stand Starbucks coffee)

Suggested as an option, Via coffee packets are "take along", easy to carry in a pocket or purse for travelers. All that is needed is hot water.

But, if you don't like Starbucks, then that won't be a solution for you.

Enjoy whatever kind of hot drink you prefer on your next trip to Italy!:)

those buffet pictures looked the typical breakfast buffet I see at hotels wherever I travel in Europe - meats, cheeses, muesli, yogurt, some fruit and juices and pastries. Any buffet that has muesli (not just a bowl of the grains, I want it mixed and "marinated" with the yogurt, nuts, seeds, shredded apple) and any kind of yogurt is my kind of buffet. If my hotel has such a spread, I'll eat. If they don't, I'll head to the local coffee spot and get my yummy strong, bitter, sludgy cup of caffe and a cornetto/croissant/tartine/some German pastry.

I agree. Spent 25 days in Europe in May/June. That looks like just about every breakfast we had.

I've been luckier than you on the coffee front. I've had some pretty indifferent coffees in France and Spain, but nearly every cup I've had in any bar in Italy (and we're up over 1000 cups now) has been excellent. No grounds, no sludge. I never even knew I liked coffee until I tried espresso!

Now tea... that's a different story. I never liked tea either in the US, but once I tried it in England, I was hooked. I've found Italian tea to be pretty dire. If I'm really lucky they have Twinings, but I swear it's a weak version especially for export. If I'm not so lucky, it's Lipton, and on a really bad day it's Star. I save my tea drinking for home these days.

Now tea... that's a different story. I never liked tea either in the US, but once I tried it in England, I was hooked. I've found Italian tea to be pretty dire. If I'm really lucky they have Twinings, but I swear it's a weak version especially for export. If I'm not so lucky, it's Lipton, and on a really bad day it's Star. I save my tea drinking for home these days.

Next time you are in Rome, right next to the Spanish steps is Babingtons Tea Room. Wonderful little tea room with delicious tea and yummy little tarts, cakes and other treats. Was a nice break from walking, walking, walking :D

Yes, Babington's is on the expensive side, but a treat when you are looking for tea.

Also, right there

To the right of the steps is the Keats-Shelley House, a small museum dedicated to the Romantic English poets and John Keats. The small apartment holding the museum was the home of Keats for several months before his death from tuberculosis in 1821.

We found these, as well as the Spanish Steps of great interest!

A cappucino and cornetto is the typical Italian breakfast, enjoyed by the locals standing up at the corner cafe.

We never miss American coffee so cannot help with that. After 11am, we stick the cafe macchiato or espresso. It is correct that the Italians drink cappucino for breakfast and not later in the day.

I've been luckier than you on the coffee front. I've had some pretty indifferent coffees in France and Spain, but nearly every cup I've had in any bar in Italy (and we're up over 1000 cups now) has been excellent. No grounds, no sludge. I never even knew I liked coffee until I tried espresso!

I don't care for espresso at all. Far too strong and bitter for me.

US teas like Lipton and Tetley are gross. I drink English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast if I'm lucky enough to find the latter. I've had no problem finding breakfast teas pretty much anywhere in the world--and always bring a few packets of my own along just in case. I never noticed a difference between Twinings in the US or elsewhere in the world. I have noticed a difference in the formulation of Coca Cola from country to country though.

Don't forget to tell people how expensive it is!

:confused: We didn't find it expensive. At least not any more so than any of the other places we frequent while in Rome........ but we do like to eat at the really good restaurants :D

I've never asked for it at breakfast, but most bars will make you an amazing hot chocolate. You can just about stand the spoon up in it! Some places won't have it in the summer, though - not necessarily a hot waether frink.

I've never asked for it at breakfast, but most bars will make you an amazing hot chocolate. You can just about stand the spoon up in it! Some places won't have it in the summer, though - not necessarily a hot waether frink.

That should be hot weather drink! :o I can type, really.

Archived