Husband never knows where he's going

Petoonya

I do most of the planning of the cruises. I find what I want to do, then ask DH if he wants to cruise on that ship, to that location. Then, I start searching for things to do. Once I find what I want to do, I will ask him if he wants to do this while on the cruise. If so, I will book it, and if not, I know n to book that excursion. We both love the beach, so most of our port days revolve around the beaches!

Ha ha ha ha ha!!

My husband is a retired gastroenterologist. His second talent is that he can do a colonoscopy in his sleep ;)

No offense -- but I assume you have twin beds. I mean, this isn't something

you'd want to find out more than once.

Does your spouse/partner/cruise buddy know what you've booked? Get involved at all in planning?

We cruise or do a land vacation every six months or so. My husband lets it be known what he's interested in, then lets me run with it. I let him know what I've booked and what/when we're going. In ten minutes he's forgotten about it. He always enjoys our cruise vacations immensely, but he doesn't care to enter into any discussion pre-cruise or port activity planning.

He doesn't have Alzheimers, and he loves travel. But often a few days before our cruises he'll ask "where are we going again?" And we'll be headed to the airport to catch a flight for Venice while he was thinking all along we were flying an hour away to the grandkids. Then he gets all excited and plunges happily into the adventure.

I just booked a Sydney to Hawaii cruise today. Husband said "should be great". He's a peach, but he'll forget. If I died tonight we'd lose the deposit on two cruises ;)

Maybe it's just the way it is for cruise families. How does it work for you?

I hear you. I handle all the travel plans. He has no interest whatsoever in doing any of that. I do go over excursions with him though and he picks what interests him and what he feels he can do. He is unable to walk as far as he used to, so I make sure he checks out and gives the "ok" on the outings.

Sounds like our house. We both love cruising but I am the planner. Here is how it goes down.

Me: "I'm not happy, I need to book another cruise."

DH:"Fine, go ahead.

Me: :I'm so excited, I booked X cruise to the whatever."

DH: Sounds great!"

Me: :I read on Cruise Critic, blah, blah,blah"

DH: "Okay, whatever you're cyber space friends suggest is ok with me."

Fast forward to the week of the cruise.

Me: :I'm stressed out, trying to get everything done."

DH: " I know, I still have to get a hair cut. I'll help you after that."

Night before the cruise when I am completely spent and everything is done..

Me: "I need to get a few hours sleep."

DH: "Yes, get some rest. I'll take care of everything else."

The "everything else"is putting the luggage tags on our bags...LOL.

My DH has another wife somewhere?????

I'm not even married and being the family planner, I've STILL got this problem.

I maintain a master spreadsheet for each trip saved on my desktop. I've been using the same basic spreadsheet format for almost a decade now. In the days proceeding each trip, I print out a copy for everyone so they have all the trip details should someone get seperated from the group - so everyone is at least generally familiar with my planning madness. I HOPE should I drop dead, that someone in my family would think to open up those spreadsheets and not only not loose deposits, but make sure to GET ON THE PLANE!

No offense -- but I assume you have twin beds. I mean, this isn't something

you'd want to find out more than once.

hee-hee. used to work alongside him in the procedure room. know it's better to lie flat on my back- never curl up in fetal position. ;)

I always do the planning and once we get on the ship I tell him that we have insurance just in case something happens to me. Like transporting my remains back home if I croak while were gone. I show him where I keep the printed paperwork an phone numbers in case. You never know. Hopefully not but I always like to be prepared in all areas. Happy sailing and cruising.

I always do the planning and once we get on the ship I tell him that we have insurance just in case something happens to me. Like transporting my remains back home if I croak while were gone. I show him where I keep the printed paperwork an phone numbers in case. You never know. Hopefully not but I always like to be prepared in all areas. Happy sailing and cruising.

I too have a "what if" page. It's a part of our vacation football which I send to my best friend. I include my lawyer's info, where all of our savings are located, retirement accounts etc. I also include debts and insurance info. I just makes it easier to have it all in one place in case something happens.

My DH has another wife somewhere?????

I too have a "what if" page. It's a part of our vacation football which I send to my best friend. I include my lawyer's info, where all of our savings are located, retirement accounts etc. I also include debts and insurance info. I just makes it easier to have it all in one place in case something happens.

Mine is called the "God Forbid" envelope.

As soon as we make a cruise deposit, I set up a manilla folder and place in it ANYTHING related to the cruise - deposit information, invoice and details from travel agent, airline fare info - or airline tickets, excursions, cruise critic information, deck layout for our floor, confirmation numbers, room numbers of friends, etc........

This folder gets larger as time goes on - then a couple of weeks before we leave, I go through the folder and downsize it to the necessary paperwork and this is what we take in my backpack..........

Works well!

Just a funny story to add to all the others....One cruise, our Panamaniac's cruise, I had been making all the connections online, sending pics and filling all of our future cruise mates in on DH, especially the fact that by the time we sailed DH was to be newly retired! Made our T-shirts, brought our beads for Sail-Away...Boy was he surprised when people he had never met came up to him to wish him Happy Retirement and knew him by name....Hahahaha:p.

As soon as we make a cruise deposit, I set up a manilla folder and place in it ANYTHING related to the cruise - deposit information, invoice and details from travel agent, airline fare info - or airline tickets, excursions, cruise critic information, deck layout for our floor, confirmation numbers, room numbers of friends, etc........

This folder gets larger as time goes on - then a couple of weeks before we leave, I go through the folder and downsize it to the necessary paperwork and this is what we take in my backpack..........

Works well!

Your (and others') comments are so familiar. I also do a little fact chart for each port--language spoken, monetary unit, weather, time zone, etc. Some cruises are easier than others (Caribbean), but it was a job for the Baltics, Med cruise, etc.

Those who travel with us have NO IDEA what we do, do they? But I would not have it any other way. I love the planning.:)

Happy sails, all.

Kathy

I love the planning also. The hardest cruise to plan for was our British Isles cruise. I found it mind boggling until I figured how to get from the airport to the hotel, then from the hotel to the ship and then from the ship to the airport. Because it was such a long way it was a little difficult because I was trying to find the most economical way. Then it was all the excursions for the ports which were about 7-9 different ports that I knew absolutely nothing about. Then there was the different kinds of money that we needed to get. Private excursions vs. the ship's excursions and the list goes on. Then we had 4 different couples that were going and arriving on different days.

It all turned out good but it took alot of planning.

Happy sailing.:p:p:p

We had been on several cruises, but it was going to be the first one for my sister's family. She kept on asking me " What is this BOOK you keep referring to?" The first step to any vacation is buying the binder with sheet protector pages at St*ples. Itinerary is the cover page, etc etc. Love the book.....Celebrity Millenium January 2013 is getting thicker!

Archived