condition on the Dawn

xeena

i am seeing good prices for a 7 night out of tampa and have read a few reviews on the ship. we usually go on HAL or Princess but may consider trying NCL.

any one recently aboard to comment on the ship's cleanliness and noise levels between cabins?

thanks

i am seeing good prices for a 7 night out of tampa and have read a few reviews on the ship. we usually go on HAL or Princess but may consider trying NCL.

any one recently aboard to comment on the ship's cleanliness and noise levels between cabins?

thanks

There have been a few others that have just gotten back and there are some reviews. User zimomiller has a post with many pictures and that will probably give you a pretty good idea about condition/cleanliness.

I was on in early June and IMO the ship was in overall good to very good condition and clean and you really had to look hard to find anything not up to par.

When I see questions like the Op's I have to wonder...has anyone ever sailed on a dirty ship?? :confused:

Other than a bit of carpet staining I don't ever recall noticing anything that made me turn up my nose on a ship...and I have never been on any ship where I didn't see maintenance and crew constantly cleaning/scrubbing/painting or shellacking something.

To the OP: This is just my opinion, but the Dawn is my favorite ship...not for the ship per say, but I have had my two best and most enjoyable cruises on that lovely Lady and I will have a third in Sept :)

On cruise Critic Ratings on the Home Page the Dawn recieves a 4.2 and tied with the Jewel for NCL's highest rated ship.They just went through a multi million dollar refurb last year and you probably will not find a cleaner and more functional ship than the Dawn:D

She's a beauty;)

Kev:cool:

halos....i was reading some reviews while considering booking and many of those referred to "underwear found IN the bed" "major staining on furniture and carpet in cabins" "excessive noise between cabins" etc.

since i have not been on NCL in the past.... much less this ship i was just wondering. isn't this why we have message boards? to share info and ask questions?

since i have not been on NCL in the past.... much less this ship i was just wondering. isn't this why we have message boards? to share info and ask questions?

absolutely!!!!!!!! My question was serious. I have never sailed on a dirty ship and was wondering if anyone else has???? That was not directed at you in any way...which is why I specifically directed my next comment right to you, so you would know :)

halos....i was reading some reviews while considering booking and many of those referred to "underwear found IN the bed" "major staining on furniture and carpet in cabins" "excessive noise between cabins" etc.

Hi Pam, I was on the Dawn (Boston to Bermuda) last year, and am going again in 28 days!!!

Our cruise was post dry-dock, and we did have some issues with the noise above our family suite, we were on 11, and construction noise for the still unfinished family suites on deck twelve was ongoing during our cruise. We were compensated a bit, plus my parents were actually moved to a balcony suite on a deck below - since they were the ones who spent more time in the 2 bedroom family suite - and were the most impacted. (they rest a lot to be able to keep up with other things, and they were not able to take their naps - especially when they would return early from port and want to nap before we all got back from port for dinner --- and while we were in port most of the work was being done.)

Other than that - I would have to say that noise level was non-existent; my sister's cabin (mini-suite further down towards the hall with no construction above) - was very quiet! As was the balcony cabin my folks were moved to on the 10th deck.

I also think the ship was spotless! I am not one to look into the nooks and crannies -- but I do expect a spot free / mold free bathroom, as well as immaculate bedding, and I felt both those requirements were met and exceeded!

Hope this helps!

Karen

thanks.....i think that people more likely write reviews when unhappy and i happened on several of these...hence my questions.

glad i wasn't being ID'd as a snob....but cleanliness is very important to me and i hate stained furniture or bedding in my cabin! i have been on a ship that was due for refurbishing and you could tell. i think it was a small HAL ship but not sure.

I was on the Dawn in May - no problems with cleanliness. Ship appeared in very good condition.

Whether you'll hear noise in your cabin depends on where your cabin is located. If you have a cabin with only cabins next to you, across from you, below and above you, you should be fine - I was on Deck 10 midships and heard nothing.

Of course, one can have loud neighbors anywhere, on land or on any ship.

Just got off the Dawn this morning. Last week, I was really apprehensive that I was going on an "old ship" despite the recent drydock. I couldn't have been more wrong. I found the Dawn in great shape along with a wonderful crew, service and food. Seriously thinking about booking her again in the next few months.

thanks.....i think that people more likely write reviews when unhappy and i happened on several of these...hence my questions.

glad i wasn't being ID'd as a snob....but cleanliness is very important to me and i hate stained furniture or bedding in my cabin! i have been on a ship that was due for refurbishing and you could tell. i think it was a small HAL ship but not sure.

The good thing about Norwegian is if you go the the meet & greet you will meet senior staff members. The hotel chief will give you a card with his personal number on it. IF you experience any dirty linens make your complaint in a timely manner so it can be rectified!

Okay, stained furniture can be a problem as they can't switch that out very well.

Its a shame people don't take into consideration proper behavior when on vacation, and don't clean up their own spills before they set into the upholstery. :(

We sailed the Dawn last February. We were in one of the four balcony cabins on deck 11 nestled between all minisuites. The ship, the crew, and the entertainment was terrific. We are platinum Princess cruisers trying NCL for the first time. We bought the $250 future cruise - I think that says it all.

got off this am.....ship immaculate.....noise above us was excessive in my exp over many years and lines. last night i said to my husband it sounds like they are moving furniture now and then realized it was last night luggage! think it was just a noisy family...there were many onboard. kids running in the hall at night....we figured that was because we were only a few cabins away from the blue lagoon.....none of this disturbed our sleep or really encroached on our enjoyment..

The last trip we were on the Galaxy (before it was sold), it was coming down around our ears. We were seated in the theater and the back of the seat ahead of us fell off, etc., etc. Aside from a little wear and tear and the occasional stain, I have never seen a ship that was dirty or run-down except the Galaxy, and I've been on 25 ships so far. One to come in Nov, another to come next July, etc.

got off this am.....ship immaculate.....noise above us was excessive in my exp over many years and lines. last night i said to my husband it sounds like they are moving furniture now and then realized it was last night luggage! think it was just a noisy family...there were many onboard. kids running in the hall at night....we figured that was because we were only a few cabins away from the blue lagoon.....none of this disturbed our sleep or really encroached on our enjoyment..

searoses, we got off the ship yesterday and had the same experience regarding noise and large, noisey families. I have never seen so many people want to be together EVERY second of the day, no matter what the activity. When a table is meant to seat four in the Lido buffet, that doesn't mean put 12 there and then all talk louder than each other.

Same thing also with the young adults that were probably in their late teens. We were on deck 10 midship and during the last night, I heard one guy yell, "I got some Stoli. I got some Stoli." Then they entered some room only to exit again quickly as a girl remarked, "C'mon get out of here. Security has been called." Another guy then said, "I can't believe we got 27 people in that room." I was about to call security when I guess a fellow cruiser on Deck 10 beat me to it.

The cabins are not very soundproof I will admit but we just dealt with it the best that we could, i.e. ear plugs and towels by the cabin door. Just a little annoyance that didn't hamper our enjoyment. It was a fabulous cruise and the Dawn is a wonderful ship. We had great service and thought the food was extremely good at all the venues, free and pay.

Archived