Passport card

GrammaJo128

We applied for our passports a week ago. At that time we did not apply for the passport card. I was curious how many of you think the card is necessary. We might take one vacation a year. It's not like we will be traveling across any of the borders more than once a year. A friend said I should get it, but I just don't see why when we'll have our passports. Any thoughts?

My understanding is that the passport card is only helpful if you are walking or driving across the border to Canada or Mexico. It is not valid for any flights to or from the us. It gains nothing for the closed loop cruise where BC and a governemnt issued photo I will do it. It is not valid for other cruises

I actually had to go to the passport office the other day to get mine. The service manager actually told me that, the passport cards are not valid on all cruises regardless of where you are going to be ported at. So you are better off just getting the passport and save yourself the hassle later.

We applied for our passports a week ago. At that time we did not apply for the passport card. I was curious how many of you think the card is necessary. We might take one vacation a year. It's not like we will be traveling across any of the borders more than once a year. A friend said I should get it, but I just don't see why when we'll have our passports. Any thoughts?

GrammaJo,

You do not even need your passport if you are returning to the same port that you left from. Hope this helps. Call your cruise line and they will tell you if your cruise requires a passport. Most' in the U.S do not if you return to the same port. Sharon

GrammaJo,

You do not even need your passport if you are returning to the same port that you left from. Hope this helps. Call your cruise line and they will tell you if your cruise requires a passport. Most' in the U.S do not if you return to the same port. Sharon

They were asking about the passport card. Since you've already applied for a passport, that's the absolute best and only thing you'll need for your travels. If you have a passport NO you definitley do not need a passport card. They are a waste of money and completely unneccesary if you have a passport.

If your international travel is typically to Canada by car it is very convenient to have ID that fits in your wallet. If that isn't your travel pattern there isn't much point. Eventually I'll get the "enhanced" WA drivers license and then won't even have to bother with the passport card.

I got a passport card instead of renewing my passport since I am not planning on International AIR travel.

I think the service manager didn't have all the facts because you can indeed travel to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada via a closed loop by land and sea and the US and those gov't's will accept the passport card according to their gov't websites.

just my 2 cents.

As other posters have indicated, the limitations of using passport cards make it not a useful document. I think that they are valid for land border crossings and for cruises into the Caribbean and Bermuda. See http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf . Unless you are sure that you wont ever fly internationally, then passport card is a way to go, but in my eyes a booklet passport is ID ne plus ultra.

However, we have another use for passport cards. I got passport cards for our kids, who sometime within the US to other family members. I got the passport cards for them because this is pretty much the only government issued ID which they qualify for, and which is small enough to easily fit into their wallet/purse/pocket. It is an exceptable form of an ID for domestic flights. Yes, my kids have passports, but the cards are just easier.

We will be cruising in September and applied for the cards .We were told we didnt even need them because we would not be flying and returning the same port. Good thing we found out- I have to prove a marriage name change. :confused:

We will be cruising in September and applied for the cards .We were told we didnt even need them because we would not be flying and returning the same port. Good thing we found out- I have to prove a marriage name change. :confused:

If you were flying, the card would do you no good. They're not good for international air travel. You need the passport book for air travel.

But fact is, I now travel with a Passport--regardless of where I'm traveling--and will not renew the Card... And similarly, I would not travel with just a Birth Certificate and a government-issued ID...

While we don't like to think of worst-case scenarios, I've seen them arise while cruising more often than one might expect... A Passport Card or Birth Certificate/ID won't do much good if you need to unexpectedly fly back from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean to the US as in the case of a personal illness or injury [you or your travel mate] or due to a family emergency back at home...

To my mind, it comes down to this... Who wants the potential hassle when it's least welcome and can otherwise be so easily avoided?

Thanks to you all. My questions was answered since so many of you agreed that the card is sometimes convenient, but the passport covers any out of the country travel whether by land or air, so I think the card seems like a frivolous waste of money. I guess if someone travels extensively, it could be convenient. Thanks again.

I have a friend who has never traveled out of the country and he got a passport card simply to use as a second piece of non disputable ID. For example, instead of presenting his driver's license he'll hand them the passport card just to mess with them. Clearly he needs to get a life, but for him, that's the most vacation fun he has time for :D.

I have a friend who has never traveled out of the country and he got a passport card simply to use as a second piece of non disputable ID. For example, instead of presenting his driver's license he'll hand them the passport card just to mess with them. Clearly he needs to get a life, but for him, that's the most vacation fun he has time for :D.

I think that a passport card is great non disputable ID for people who do not qualify for driver's license, such as minors.

But if I want to "mess with officials" I generally use my government issued state Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. In airports they kind of look at me strangely, but last month in Alaska it did not phase them at all and just asked how much guns I am declaring. "Messing with officials" fail.

Sorry for coming late to this thread...

Passport card alone costs $55. Here's what a Passport Card buys you vs Birth Certificate and Driver's License:

-faster/easier processing at cruise terminal than DL/BC

-more convenient to carry than DL/BC

-works equally well for naturalized US citizens.

-easier to get an emergency passport book issued if you already have a passport card

-good for land/sea entry into the United States

Passport card costs only $30 extra ($140 instead of $110) if you are already getting the passport book. As others have noted, it's a convenient sized federal government ID. I take it when going ashore on port days. I also use it as ID during the year when I want to keep my address private. My driver's license has my address and sometimes I'd rather not share it.

Archived