Be Gentle - Carnival Newbie

Hello all,

I've been reading the board for quite some time in order to learn all I can. I know how it is when someone comes on without even looking and asks questions that are asked over and over. :rolleyes:

Right now I am considering a Carnival cruise in either January or February. Fortunately for me, I can be very flexible. I live about the same distance from either Tampa or Port Canaveral.

It appears that my choices are either the Legend or the Dream. I'm leaning towards the Legend as I like the smaller ship size. I've heard good and bad about both ships and I guess it's really a personal thing as to a person liking either a newer larger or older smaller ship. How is getting to and parking at the port in Tampa? (driving)

Any thoughts on Anytime dining vs. set time for a solo?

What would you do and why? Broad question really, but responses will help me decide what would work best for me.

I did bring all this up in an existing thread but though I might more likely get responses on a more specific thread. I'm pretty knowledgeable about DCL, but Carnival is a whole new thing! :eek:

My thoughts for a solo, is traditional dining where they usually seat you with other solos, sisters travelling together, two friends in the same cabin, but not usually couples (ok we had two gay girls who were a couple but Carnival would not have known that). .. this will give you people every night who will be wanting to discuss their day and what they did and a place to touch base with the same people.

I went out of Tampa twice last spring .. there are some hotels that include free parking. I personally used Ramada Airport, Sheraton Suites Airport and Hyatt at the Airport, because the downtown hotels cost about double.. though they do have cruise deals that include shuttles and parking, they are no deal. I will do look for the link to the cruise deals in a bit if you want.

We got Sheraton Suites thru priceline and Hyatt Place thru hotwire, and Ramada thru lastminutetravel .. all at around $50ish during spring break so you can probably do as well or better.

Ramada I said I voted for, they have a $10 shuttle to the port. There are also some close by discounted parking lots .. I would avoid parking at the port, sky high $$ to me.

I also own 100 shares of stock, and this cruise you can buy a FCC for next time .. and so I cruise with OBC which I then use for Carnival excursions which give me people to do excursions with, rather than try and plan private excursions, as prices for one person, its no savings to do it on your own or so I find.

I would go out of Tampa myself.

They both decent ports only you have to watch where you stay overnight in Tampa many parts are just bad where Pt. Canaveral is all safe and you can stay on coco beach thats close by. Both offer parking garages as well as outdoor parking but the walk to me is less and easier to get the car in Pt. Canaveral.

The Dream is having drydock sept 8th to the 22nd they will be adding Punchliners Comedy, a tequila bar and they be updating and fixing the upholerstery and carpets in the main entertainment areas that be nice to have.

I suggest as your solo to have assigned dining and hoping that you enjoy your table mates if you don't you can always choose to apt my time dining anytime.

Since you cruised on Disney I never did and never would for my own reasons but I have a good friend of mine that has been cruising on disney for years only this past year she said they cut back so much she wants to go RCI next year.

You be going in jan/feb when the kids are out of school just try to stay away from the holiday weeks then you may get more kids on the cruise which means more crowds.

I personally go for the larger ship more options to choose from. I love the smaller ships don't get me wrong...its a toss up actually.

Since your going in winter months the seas tend to be more choppy so I say go on the Dream she is larger and heavier.

If you can get to tampa or Port Canaveral easily can get to MIami just as easily! I would suggest to you to go on the Breeze out of Miami. I know, it isn't on your list, but the Breeeze is the brand new ship and has all of the bells and whistles of the Magic and Funship 2.0 in one ship. The ship also have Cloud 9 spa, and I love the spa!

You mention a newer big ship, well you can't get any newer than the Breeze! The Breeze also offers six day and eight day cruises. I love Key West, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. I am also eager to go on the Breeze for Grand Turk (been there many times), La Romana, Curacao, and Aruba.

Dining--ATD is very popular and is getting more popular, but I prefer to have a 6pm dining time and get to know the people at our table.

What to do--well, have fun!!!!!

Benefits of the Breeze--Cucina del Capitano, sky course, wicked/awesome waterworks (my attitude is Forever 21, even though I am 43), peaceful Serenity adult area, and amazing spaces all over the ship to just chill/relax in peace/quiet.....

I've not been on the Dream or Legend. One day I'll go on a Spirit class ship, but I just love the big ships too much to go on a smaller ship.

Plan it according to what you want and fits your budget. It'll be your vacation.

Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can get to tampa or Port Canaveral easily can get to MIami just as easily! I would suggest to you to go on the Breeze out of Miami. I know, it isn't on your list, but the Breeeze is the brand new ship and has all of the bells and whistles of the Magic and Funship 2.0 in one ship. The ship also have Cloud 9 spa, and I love the spa!

I would have to disagre with that statement. We live about the same distance from either PC or Tampa, but Miami is quite a bit farther. We usually drive to PC or Tampa, but it's 15 hours to Miami, so we fly.

Been out a dozen or so times for a variety of cruises. This coming Jan we are headed back out again on the Legend (number four making us addicts, de ja vu all over again, or groundhog day for us every year in January???). We've sailed several classes of ships and are fanatical about how much we enjoy the Spirit class ships especially the Legend.Theres more than enough to do and never felt overwhelmed by the masses as we have on larger ships. Spirit Class ships have a great layout. On top of that we love the port of call selection for the cruise.

Tampa is a fun and easy port to access and depart from (well marked with good signage). Easy in and out parking right at the boat and the port is just a few blocks off the interstate. Tampa has a wide variety of sleeping accomodations as does the Suncoast region as a whole (i.e. St Pete, Clearwater, Lakeland etc.). The port is adjacent to Ybor City thats interesting and the Tampa Aquarium is next to the terminal for another tourist activity if you're into that. Lived in and visited the area for 40 years and have always felt comfortable and anjoyed that part of Tampa.

The Legend is just the right size at a great location for us We're near Atlanta and its about an easy 7 hour drive for us.

Have a great cruise!

I would agree w/ americanrascal. A spirit class ship-Legend- would be easy for a solo traverler to negotiate. Tampa is an easy embarkation port too. Legend is an older ship, & does need an update, but still a very good crew & ship. There are plenty of area hotels that offer park & cruise pkgs. like firefly says. We just did the Legend this past Dec & had a great cruise. We'll be doing Dream this year, so cannot comment on that yet. As a solo traveler, I would also recommend getting involved in the roll call for your sailing. You might find some like minded fellow cruisers & could join them for dinner or excursions. Good luck, & I hope you enjoy CCL.

Been out of Port Canaveral twice and Tampa once. Tampa is really nice because nothing is far from the airport so taxis aren't big issues, also there is a nice area outside the port.

PC is also nice and safe with some good seafood choices, but everything is kind of spread out in Coca beach IMO, and it's so far from the airport 125.00 taxi ride!!!!!:eek:

We learned our lesson and the second time we rented a car at the airport and returned it at the port kiosk.

Both nice ports.

We loved Legend, comfortable, smaller, great staff, nice beds.

Smaller ship had less crowded feel, not as many eating options, but really how many do you need???? We never starved!!!

My choice would be on the itineraries.

Which ports look best???

Have a great cruise whatever you choose!!

Carole

Thanks everyone - I like hearing different input and opinions.

I had decided before I posted it would be Tampa or PC. I just don't think of Miami as an easy drive and is well over double the distance. (hour and a half compared with over 4 hours) Maybe someday for a longer cruise.

The Dream and the Legend have almost the same itineraries with minor differences in some port times. The only real itinerary difference I can see is between Costa Maya or Grand Cayman. I've been to both already. Not sure what it costs to park at the port in Tampa, or if there is port parking at the terminal itself? Chances are I'd try to grab a hotel that has a shuttle program.

ETA: The PC terminal for DCL at least has their own parking terminal. What about Carnival? Probably a moot point as when I sail DCL's Fantasy in 11/13 I will likely get a room in Cocoa Beach and take the stay and cruise option.

I'm thinking I'd probably like the smaller ship.

Here is the link to the cruise specials on the tampa site.

http://www.visittampabay.com/visitors/cruise/cruise-specials/

If you catch them right, Holiday Inn for instance has been as cheap as $89 on sale for the cruise special.

There is also a botique hotel that is very very popular with cruisers I dont see on the list.

Seems to me you could drive to the ports in the morning and just park and get on board, hotel night before not necessary. I love the Legend, great itinerary, and it's an easy ship layout to figure out.

Which ever ship you choose, get on your roll call. Find out what others are doing on their excursions, see if you can't join them so you don't feel odd being a single (if that bothers you). Sail Happy!

Seems to me you could drive to the ports in the morning and just park and get on board, hotel night before not necessary. I love the Legend, great itinerary, and it's an easy ship layout to figure out.

Which ever ship you choose, get on your roll call. Find out what others are doing on their excursions, see if you can't join them so you don't feel odd being a single (if that bothers you). Sail Happy!

Ive found that when you consider the cost of parking at the port runs around $100 usually, its within $20 to stay at a hotel the night before and start your vacation early.

I can drive to Galveston in 5 hours, but I have started going down the day before... its like a extra day of vacation and doesnt cost much extra.

Archived