HAL Officers on Formal Night?

sail7seas

Here's an idea......

Officers go to the trouble of putting on their starched white shirts, bow ties, form fitting jackets and tuxedo pants/skirts..... getting dressed so handsomely and sportless for formal night and I think most of us admire them. They set such a great tone and seeing them is a treat.

Should they bother?

Maybe they can stop 'going to the trouble' on our behalf.

If so many guests are saying I'll wear what I want to be comfortable, should the Officers be permitted to relax their dress code as well?

Do you care?

Do you notice?

If you happen to be invited to dine with one (or have an Officer join your table) for formal night, do you notice and/or care what he or she is wearing?

Just wondering........ :cool:

I care.

I notice.

I appreciate.

But, I'll personally be wearing clothes which comply with or exceed the published dress code.

For those with different dress code attitudes, is it just about the free wine? ;)

Brilliant thread idea.

I care.

I notice.

I appreciate.

But, I'll personally be wearing clothes which comply with or exceed the published dress code.

For those with different dress code attitudes, is it just about the free wine? ;)

Brilliant thread idea.

Could not agree more with the above, being retired USN I have had the privilege of having 3 officers sit at our table on the last 4 cruises. I believe if they can wear mess dress, EVERYONE should dress appropriately that night. And no its NOT about the wine as usually I already have a bottle waiting:D

I care.

I notice.

I appreciate.

Brilliant thread idea.

What Fann1sh said. :)

The very first time we were invited to a "cocktails with the captain" event, we wore our smart casual clothing - directly from the MDR. We felt underdressed and disrespectful. Since that once, we always take time to return to our cabin and grab a sports coat for DH and a shawl for myself. That's besides dressing more nicely for the MDR that night.

I think it amazing that the officers put so much effort into presenting themselves as they do. For me, it's one of the joys of cruising.

I'm going to add my responses to several of the questions, which I've quoted below.

Should they bother? Yes. It adds to the ambiance, reflects their standing as Officers, and shows respect for the passengers.

If so many guests are saying I'll wear what I want to be comfortable, should the Officers be permitted to relax their dress code as well?NO. So long as the cruise line (and I don't care which one it is) establishes a separate dress code for a particular evening, that should apply to the Officers, as well.

Do you care? Sure do, for the reasons noted above.

Do you notice?Yes, as they look so dashing!

If you happen to be invited to dine with one (or have an Officer join your table) for formal night, do you notice and/or care what he or she is wearing?As I mentioned earlier, I think this shows respect for the passengers. And -- realizing I am stirring up the pot here -- I feel obligated to return that respect by adhering to the guidelines.

In fact, any time we go to a party hosted by an Officer, even in the afternoon, my son and husband will don a sports jacket and I will change into a casual dress. Nothing fancy, just presentable. JMHO.

I care.

I notice.

I appreciate.

ditto:D

On the other hand, when the captain of the Prinsendam came to the suite reception - he was in working clothes and rubber boots (all of the other officers were impeccable). He apologized for his appearance and said he could not stay long. There was a storm and he had assumed the helm to avoid as much as possible so had basically 'dropped in' from working.

(only time I saw him like this)

I admired this as well and certainly was delighted that our captain cared enough to be on the bridge instead of drinking sparkling wine. So, I guess there are exceptions to every rule:)

Let's not overdramatize that the officers are going to all the trouble to dress formally out of respect for the passengers, blah, blah. They dress in their formalwear on formal nights because they are employees of the cruiseline and are told how they have to dress. They have no option, so let's not deify them. They are doing what they are told to do. Truth be known most of them probably wish the whole formal night thing would go away as it has on so many cruiselines.

That said, I do believe those pax dining in the MDR should follow the guidelines or "suggestions" even though the dress code has been diminished to the point it could barely be called formal anymore.

Okay, I'll pose the question a different way, just for the fun of it. :D

If there was a survey and HAL said the majority will rule.....

Would you vote for the Officers to continue to dress meticulously in the 'mess dress' or

Would you vote for them to wear their customary evening uniform every night of the cruise and do away with the starched whites?

Their usual uniform meets HAL's basic description for formal night. Jacket and tie for the gents, 'suit' for the ladies.

Here's an idea......

Officers go to the trouble of putting on their starched white shirts, bow ties, form fitting jackets and tuxedo pants/skirts..... getting dressed so handsomely and sportless for formal night and I think most of us admire them. They set such a great tone and seeing them is a treat.

Should they bother? Yes

Maybe they can stop 'going to the trouble' on our behalf. Please don't

If so many guests are saying I'll wear what I want to be comfortable, should the Officers be permitted to relax their dress code as well? I hope not

Do you care? Yes

Do you notice? Absolutely

If you happen to be invited to dine with one (or have an Officer join your table) for formal night, do you notice and/or care what he or she is wearing? Yes, ofcourse I notice

Just wondering........ :cool:

I for one love formal nights, DH and I enjoy dressing up and appreciate the Officers doing the same.

Let's not overdramatize that the officers are going to all the trouble to dress formally out of respect for the passengers' date=' blah, blah. They dress in their formalwear on formal nights because they are employees of the cruiseline and are told how they have to dress. They have no option, so let's not deify them. They are doing what they are told to do. Truth be known most of them probably wish the whole formal night thing would go away as it has on so many cruiselines.

That said, I do believe those pax dining in the MDR should follow the guidelines or "suggestions" even though the dress code has been diminished to the point it could barely be called formal anymore.[/quote']

I agree with both paragraphs above.

I am sure some of the Captains we've had would love to have the whole Formal night disappear, and the VIP Party, and the Mariner Society Brunch. Part of the job, yes; something they like about that job, not so much.

I agree with both paragraphs above.

I am sure some of the Captains we've had would love to have the whole Formal night disappear, and the VIP Party, and the Mariner Society Brunch. Part of the job, yes; something they like about that job, not so much.

On this one I will agree & disagree (because you said some) - that will be true for some Captains and some cruises - others really enjoy the opportunity to meet and appreciate the passengers.

Some of the captains and the officers follow the roll calls. I was amazed on two cruises when the officers asked for me by my cc name (I had arranged the M & G's).

Not only that they told me they had followed our roll call and were looking forward to meeting the group.

I don't think it's that hard to tell someone who is doing their job because they have to and those that truly enjoy it.

Most I have seen at several functions enjoyed what they were doing. After all, if you don't mingle with the passengers and get their feedback and/or see how much they love the ship they are on, where is your reward??? (besides the pay cheque).

Nothing nicer than a thank you - or seeing the joy that you bring to others:)

JMO though - who knows, maybe I live in dreamland:D

Let's not overdramatize that the officers are going to all the trouble to dress formally out of respect for the passengers' date=' blah, blah. They dress in their formalwear on formal nights because they are employees of the cruiseline and are told how they have to dress. They have no option, so let's not deify them. They are doing what they are told to do. Truth be known most of them probably wish the whole formal night thing would go away as it has on so many cruiselines.

That said, I do believe those pax dining in the MDR should follow the guidelines or "suggestions" even though the dress code has been diminished to the point it could barely be called formal anymore.[/quote']

Although, I do enjoy Formal nights & dress according to the HAL suggested Dress code, I completely agree with this..

I honestly do not believe they dress formally out of respect for the Passengers..I'm sure they dress according to what HAL expects of them as Representatives/Employees of the Cruise line..And also agree that most of them, would be just as happy to have Formal Night go away..

Okay, I'll pose the question a different way, just for the fun of it. :D

If there was a survey and HAL said the majority will rule.....

Would you vote for the Officers to continue to dress meticulously in the 'mess dress' or

Would you vote for them to wear their customary evening uniform every night of the cruise and do away with the starched whites?

Their usual uniform meets HAL's basic description for formal night. Jacket and tie for the gents, 'suit' for the ladies.

I actually do not care how they dress as long as they are neat & clean & don't think it's my place to vote on either Formal or Non-Formal dress for Officers! This is HAL's call, not ours..

On our last Noordam Cruise we had one of the Officers join our table with his two Sisters..DH only wore his jacket on Formal Nights.. We all had such a good time..

However, if we were invited to join the Captain for dinner DH would wear a jacket out of respect for the Captain & I would wear my Formal dress..

Cheers...:)Betty

However, if we were invited to join the Captain for dinner DH would wear a jacket out of respect for the Captain & I would wear my Formal dress..

Cheers...:)Betty

Hey Betty - when we were invited to the Captain's table on NCL it was a 'smart casual' night - I can assure you every passenger was dressed in full formal wear (including us). No other way to do it.:D

It was really a wonderful experience and well worth dressing up for:D

If I was ever invited to dine with the captain, I would be severely underdressed as I don't bring "formal" clothes on any of my cruises. Smart casual is as dressy as I care to get on vacation.

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a dinner invitation from the captain that didn't pack anything other than shorts, t-shirts, flips flops and bathing suits. Would they be turned away at the door for not dressing to code? Or, would their invitation trump the clothes they were wearing?

One of my favorite cruises (not HAL) had Senior Staff who were all over the ship. They seemed to enjoy meeting passengers and doing the "mingle, mingle" thing. Most of the time, the Captain and Senior Staff on HAL and other cruise lines are "doing what is required" by corporate headquarters. I feel sorry for them that they have to get into Dress Whites for the formal nights and are required to host tables because it is part of their job description. I would much prefer seeing them wandering around the ship, eating food at the various venues and joking among themselves. In other words, acting like they are enjoying their job and conveying that they hope the passengers are enjoying themselves.

If I was ever invited to dine with the captain, I would be severely underdressed as I don't bring "formal" clothes on any of my cruises. Smart casual is as dressy as I care to get on vacation.

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a dinner invitation from the captain that didn't pack anything other than shorts, t-shirts, flips flops and bathing suits. Would they be turned away at the door for not dressing to code? Or, would their invitation trump the clothes they were wearing?

I would hope if they only brought shorts and t-shirts on the cruise they would turn down the invitation, with regret of course. The Captain, of course, would not embarrass them and would graciously seat them if they accepted the invitation.

Archived