formal nights

mrsmagnolia

:rolleyes: Just wondering, it's the first time I have debated on skipping out on the 2 formal nights on the 10 day Carribbean cruise in March, really feel like skipping all the extra clothes, shoes,etc....but don't want to miss out on the lobster night which is usually the last "formal nights" meal, can you have this meal substituted in any other dining area that evening?

...and where would I find out about laundry service, would it be in Celebrity's web site?

Thanks for any suggestions....

:rolleyes: Just wondering, it's the first time I have debated on skipping out on the 2 formal nights on the 10 day Carribbean cruise in March, really feel like skipping all the extra clothes, shoes,etc....but don't want to miss out on the lobster night which is usually the last "formal nights" meal, can you have this meal substituted in any other dining area that evening?

...and where would I find out about laundry service, would it be in Celebrity's web site?

Greetings

It has been reported here on various threads that you can request the MDR items from room service. That would allow you to have your lobster dinner without the bother of dressing up.

Good Sailing

Tom

:) Thanks for the information, I guess I have a few months of throwing this idea back and forth in my mind.,did you ever do this?

It will be our first cruise as Elite members, and first time on the S class ships.

Have a nice day...

(hot day here in NY):cool:

:) Thanks for the information, I guess I have a few months of throwing this idea back and forth in my mind.,did you ever do this?

It will be our first cruise as Elite members, and first time on the S class ships.

Have a nice day...

(hot day here in NY):cool:

We will be on X for 38 nights and plan to skip all formal nights. There are specialty restaurants you can eat in and then of course room service.

You won't be alone making this choice even though the "formal crowd" may want you to think you will be.:rolleyes:

The lobsters isn't "all that" anyway. I recommend going to Bistro on 5 and having the wonderful crepês!

You may order, as has been noted here, anything off the MDR menu during MDR hours, by room service.

I can't imagine why anyone raves about those lobsters they serve on most cruise ships, they don't taste like much and are dry (unless you douse them with butter). But, of course, we have plenty of wonderful cold water lobsters here at home and I don't need to eat the warm water Spiny or Rock lobster tails on a cruise. Yes, I have seen "Maine Lobster" on a few ships, but most are the other kind. Formal nights on our Equinox cruise last winter were very casual - we saw few suits/cocktail dress, mostly what one might call "country casual" (think Chico's) and we enjoyed eating in other places rather than the MDR. I really enjoyed the Equinox.

I can't imagine why anyone raves about those lobsters they serve on most cruise ships, they don't taste like much and are dry (unless you douse them with butter). But, of course, we have plenty of wonderful cold water lobsters here at home and I don't need to eat the warm water Spiny or Rock lobster tails on a cruise. Yes, I have seen "Maine Lobster" on a few ships, but most are the other kind. Formal nights on our Equinox cruise last winter were very casual - we saw few suits/cocktail dress, mostly what one might call "country casual" (think Chico's) and we enjoyed eating in other places rather than the MDR. I really enjoyed the Equinox.

Agreed. Most of the cruise ship lobster I have had was among the least tasty meals of the trip. Very overrated in my opinion.

So check out Murano and Tuscan Grill, great atmosphere, fantastic food, and fabulous service. :) Happy cruising!

We quit doing "formal nights" a long time ago. Not willing to use precious luggage space. It never occurred to me though to get room service. Stupid question - is there a charge for room service? We usually just eat at the buffet. It's not like we've ever been in danger of starving on a cruise. :)

Last cruise I just "borrowed a jacket" and all was good wife does not like dressing up so we don't do formal nights we are doing a 15 day TA and have decided one medium bag each. no space for anything liie formal clothing.

We quit doing "formal nights" a long time ago. Not willing to use precious luggage space. It never occurred to me though to get room service. Stupid question - is there a charge for room service? We usually just eat at the buffet. It's not like we've ever been in danger of starving on a cruise. :)

The only stupid question is the one not asked. There's no charge for room service. It's customary, however, to tip from one to a few dollars.

No charge. But tipping the person who delivers the food would be

good;)

Wondering how many formal nights there will be on my 16 night cruise in November. I think probably it will be 3 and I always look forward to those nights and the opportunity to dress UP!!

Ri

It is good to see your post here. Have written you a private message on your FB page!

Sue

Wondering how many formal nights there will be on my 16 night cruise in November. I think probably it will be 3 and I always look forward to those nights and the opportunity to dress UP!!

Ri

It is good to see your post here. Have written you a private message on your FB page!

Sue

According to the Celebrity web site there are four formal nights on a 16 day cruise but they have been known to change things.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&faqSubjectId=55

MDR menus are available thru room service during MDR dinner hours. If you give the Head Waiter in the buffet a couple days notice I'm sure she/he can have it brought up for you. ~ Ric

That is great to know but I couldn't imagine enjoying a meal in my cabin. Does Celebrity rent tuxedos, some cruise lines do?

Thank you for the information re formal nights Last year for a 12 nt Med cruise where it would normally be 3 Formal some info we received said only 2 formal

In fact when we were on the cruise it was 3 formal. I have only taken 2 long evening dresses but had several cocktail so wore one of them for the 3rd night.

Due to baggage weight restrictions on flights may just take 3 long and wear cocktail for the 4th.

I have been shopping this past 2 weeks since I booked my cruise so am well prepared! Summer sales are on in the Uk and with such a poor summer I have had some super buys!! I think we all like a bargain

Sue

Alittle off post but thought I'd post here rather than start another dress thread!

Hubby and I are planning on making our formal nights more special this year and are booking Muranos and the Tuscan Grill. We plan to wear our formal gear - will we look out of place or will it be a good mix of dress in these restaurants on formal nights ?

Thanks - :)

Absolutely I have had dinner in the Murano on a formal night and felt that this was the ideal venue for it!!

Sue

Thanks Sue - we were a bit disappointed last year in the MDR as it was very casual on the formal nights (loads of people were in shorts one evening which we found odd) so we have decided to make it 'our' holiday and go to special locations to make it that extra bit special like we'd enjoyed on P&O the year before (If that makes sense!)

:):)

I am cruising from Singapore to Sydney and a lot of Australian's are on this particular. I am not sure that they will all follow the formal dress code but each to his own. You are right to dress for you as I always do It really is about the only time I have the opportunity to "dress up" so I do it. I have been on cruises where people dressed every night. Celebrity is less formal now than it was when I first cruised with them.

Cunard has more formal nights than any other line I have cruised with For a TA 6 nts 4 of them can be formal Last year I did 20 nts and there were many formal evenings but I enjoyed it.

I would say get your finery out and the diamonds from the bank and just go for it!! Just enjoy that is the main thing!!

Archived