Fairbanks Riverside Lodge

mes531

I have been reading some pretty bad reviews of this lodge..should I get concerned??? :confused: Is it possible to get into the town of Fairbanks for dinner, is there a shuttle service, and are there restaurants there. The hotel reviews are not very positive about the food or service....

Thanks for any input!

The Pump House restaurant is 1.1 miles away at 4477 Pike's Landing Road

A Subway is 1.1 miles away at 3574 Airport Way

Brewster's is 1.1 miles away at 3578 Airport Way

Zach's Restaurant is 1.0 miles away at 1717 University Avenue South

Great Alaska Pizza Company is 1.1 miles away at 3582 Airport Way

And there are others

Edited by caribill

When we were at the Princess Fairbanks Lodge in 2007, there was shuttle service into downtown Fairbanks for a minimal fee (I don't remember how much). Unfortunately, we were looking for dinner on a Sunday evening and found that the selection was very limited. Ultimately, we went back to the Princess Lodge to eat. We were back this June, however due to the demographics of our travel group, we didn't even try to go downtown this time. However, I believe that I saw vans similar to what was used for shuttle service previously.

As has been stated multiple places on these boards, impressions of food quality is very personal. Other than pricey (as expected), we did not have any problems with the food quality nor the service. As far as the lodge, I found it to be clean and good repair.

When we were at the Princess Fairbanks Lodge in 2007, there was shuttle service into downtown Fairbanks for a minimal fee (I don't remember how much). Unfortunately, we were looking for dinner on a Sunday evening and found that the selection was very limited. Ultimately, we went back to the Princess Lodge to eat. We were back this June, however due to the demographics of our travel group, we didn't even try to go downtown this time. However, I believe that I saw vans similar to what was used for shuttle service previously.

As has been stated multiple places on these boards, impressions of food quality is very personal. Other than pricey (as expected), we did not have any problems with the food quality nor the service. As far as the lodge, I found it to be clean and good repair.

Thanks for some positive feedback. On tripadvisor, the reviews seem to be that the lodge is in need of repair, and service not so great. I guess I had expected pretty much the same quality as of their ships, and I was surprised. I had also read that the town itself had much to offer, but when I found out this hotel is by the airport, it was also funny, I thought we could just walk around the town. I currently have two evening excursions planned, one being the show and dinner, so I guess I should keep them. Any ideas on that??:confused:

We were at the Princess Fairbanks lodge in June. We ate at the hotel on the deck our first night there because it was a bit of hassle to try and go anywhere else. The next day we had the included all day tour (Gold Dredge and Discovery Boat). We then used our airport transfer to go pick up our rental car and we used that for the evening and the next day.

The rental car was the best decision we made and allowed us a lot of freedom. Even if I had been in a more central hotel, I think I would have wanted a car. It does depend on what you have planned and what you hope to do.

As far as the food, I agree that is very personal - my dad liked his and mine was just so-so. I did however enjoy the drinks and the view, so that makes up for a lot in my book!

I thought the rooms were clean and there were decent gathering areas in the lobby. Was it as nice as a cruise ship or a high end hotel? No. But it was certainly not a hole in the wall either.

We were at the Princess Fairbanks lodge in June. We ate at the hotel on the deck our first night there because it was a bit of hassle to try and go anywhere else. The next day we had the included all day tour (Gold Dredge and Discovery Boat). We then used our airport transfer to go pick up our rental car and we used that for the evening and the next day.

The rental car was the best decision we made and allowed us a lot of freedom. Even if I had been in a more central hotel, I think I would have wanted a car. It does depend on what you have planned and what you hope to do.

As far as the food, I agree that is very personal - my dad liked his and mine was just so-so. I did however enjoy the drinks and the view, so that makes up for a lot in my book!

I thought the rooms were clean and there were decent gathering areas in the lobby. Was it as nice as a cruise ship or a high end hotel? No. But it was certainly not a hole in the wall either.

Thanks for the info. We are on the tour, and there are scheduled activities each day, so we don't have the car option..but it sounds like you did great. We aren't fussy, and I am sure we will enjoy the lodge, we prefer more homey type places anyway. Thanks...:)

Thanks for the info. We are on the tour, and there are scheduled activities each day, so we don't have the car option..but it sounds like you did great. We aren't fussy, and I am sure we will enjoy the lodge, we prefer more homey type places anyway. Thanks...:)

Aren't your "scheduled" actitives just the Gold Dredge and Paddlewheeler?? How many days are you in Fairbanks. Many tours have these two activities in the same day, with still plenty of down time. A car rental would still offer you much more touring.

it was also funny, I thought we could just walk around the town. I currently have two evening excursions planned, one being the show and dinner, so I guess I should keep them. Any ideas on that??:confused:

Fairbanks isn't a "walk around town" place. It is loaded with activities, but they really require separate transportation, little is "walkable".

Are you referring to Pioneer Park's salmon bake and the Palace Theater? Very enjoyable and great choices.

We'll find out Monday. As BQ guessed, we have the gold dredge and paddlewheeler for included excursions in Fairbanks. We get there too late the first night to eat dinner. We'll have eaten dinner before our flight. We just have to eat there the second night--or else, thanks to Caribill, decide to walk a mile for dinner somewhere else.

We stayed in the Fairbanks Riverside Lodge in Aug 2008, and it was very nice. Has a park-like river walk and floral pantings. I believe the shuttle into town was free. We ate at Lovell's in town, a very decently priced restaurant with outstanding local halibut. There is not much activity in the evening in town, but as it stayed light well up to 10:00, we enjoyed strolling the park area in town, also along the river; before we took the shuttle back to the Lodge.

There are several very decent restaurants in Fairbanks the Pump Station being one of them. There is also a restaurant right now the Princess Lodge almost across from teh airport along the Cheena River whose name I forget, which is very good and you MUST try the cedar plank salmon. Try teh Alaska Coffee shop for that afternoon pick-me-up, good coffee.

SAS

Our schedule is arriving in Fairbanks from the Copper River around 4 pm and then there is free time that evening....which we had planned the Hummer Tour????from 6-9. Not sure if there was a better choice. The next day we have the Gold dredge, riverboat from 8 to 3 - this is where I thought we would walk around...but after reading the stuff I scheduled the salmon dinner and show????this was the other question. The next morning we leave for Denali around 10 am. Sooooooooo, is the hummer tour worthwhile....same for the Salmon and show???? Or should we enjoy a nice dinner at the lodge and relax????

Can't wait to hear some more from those of you there, or those of you that have been there. Thanks...:):)Mary - we leave on 9/2 for Anchorage..can't wait!

We are on a 7 day post cruise tour. We are in Princess lodges in Kenai, McKinnley and Denali. I thought it was weird that they don't post our hotel in Fairbanks until less then a month till we leave. I was hoping we would get Princess Fairbanks Lodge as I heard they use other hotels and some are more like motels. Now I don't know if I want to stay there. We won't have a car either and arrive at 8pm the first night. We have the gold mine/ steam boat tour everyone seems to have then the dinner theater. Nothing scheduled the next morning, flight out at 5pm. Could rent a car for the day. Would like to go to the museum at the college and go to the town-North Pole. Anyone know if there are tours through Princess or the hotels that take you and your luggage on a tour and then drop you at the airport?

The hotel reviews are not very positive about the food or service....

From Frommer's Alaska book:

"The enormous Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge also merits a mention as a luxuruous and well-run hotel in a pleasant setting near the airport."

"The enormous Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge also merits a mention as a luxuruous and well-run hotel in a pleasant setting near the airport."

There is nothing luxurious about the Riverside. :rolleyes:

I always like Trip Advisor - they have great reviews with names and dates of the people that were there. I am sure the hotel will be just fine, I seem more concerned with the location. I wouldn't mind if we were flying in or flying out, but we are there for a few days, seemingly in an area that is not necessarily touristy! It also makes it more important to try to plan ahead!

I always like Trip Advisor - they have great reviews with names and dates of the people that were there. I am sure the hotel will be just fine, I seem more concerned with the location. I wouldn't mind if we were flying in or flying out, but we are there for a few days, seemingly in an area that is not necessarily touristy! It also makes it more important to try to plan ahead!

I agree this is a poor location if you don't have your own transportation. I still suggest a car rental, even with included Princess tours. You have other free time.

Our schedule is arriving in Fairbanks from the Copper River around 4 pm and then there is free time that evening....which we had planned the Hummer Tour????from 6-9. Not sure if there was a better choice. The next day we have the Gold dredge, riverboat from 8 to 3 - this is where I thought we would walk around...but after reading the stuff I scheduled the salmon dinner and show????this was the other question. The next morning we leave for Denali around 10 am. Sooooooooo, is the hummer tour worthwhile....same for the Salmon and show???? Or should we enjoy a nice dinner at the lodge and relax????

Can't wait to hear some more from those of you there, or those of you that have been there. Thanks...:):)Mary - we leave on 9/2 for Anchorage..can't wait!

If you want information on the hummer tour- you have to list what it is, and where it goes. Are you just interested in riding in a Hummer? Why did you choose it?

I have been to the salmon bake and Palace Theater several times. They are good choices, in my opinion. Very good salmon, and enjoyable show. You need to decide if this is of interest to you.

Here is the info on the Hummer Tour...

Journey into the Alaskan wilderness aboard a chauffer driven military-issued Hummer. Visit a remote section of the Alaskan pipeline and Creamer's Field, a migratory waterfowl refuge. Enjoy a complimentary snack along with views of Mt. McKinley and the occasional wolf, moose or falcon.

It seems it does have some interesting sights!

Gosh -- I live in Fairbanks and am very confused as to what hotels some posters are mentioning. Only one river runs through Fairbanks -- the Chena. Are posters referring to the Princess Fairbanks (on the Chena River), Pikes Waterfront Lodge (on the Chena), or River's Edge Resort (again, on the Chena)?

I also am unaware of any restaurant named "Lovells." The poster is referring to Lavelle's which is located in the Marriott downtown. To the surprise of no one, the Marriott is not located on the Chena River, but across the street from the Chena River. The hubby and I enjoy Lavelles's and recommend it.

Gosh -- I live in Fairbanks and am very confused as to what hotels some posters are mentioning. Only one river runs through Fairbanks -- the Chena. Are posters referring to the Princess Fairbanks (on the Chena River), Pikes Waterfront Lodge (on the Chena), or River's Edge Resort (again, on the Chena)?

I also am unaware of any restaurant named "Lovells." The poster is referring to Lavelle's which is located in the Marriott downtown. To the surprise of no one, the Marriott is not located on the Chena River, but across the street from the Chena River. The hubby and I enjoy Lavelles's and recommend it.

So great to hear from someone that lives in Fairbanks. I originally posted, and my concerns dealt with the Princess Fairbanks, having read reviews that there was not any restaurants near that hotel, and also noting that the hotel was not near the center of Fairbanks. Thanks, :) for your information. I had originally planned on the evenings in the city area, but was told it was not near our hotel.

Here is the info on the Hummer Tour...

Journey into the Alaskan wilderness aboard a chauffer driven military-issued Hummer. Visit a remote section of the Alaskan pipeline and Creamer's Field, a migratory waterfowl refuge. Enjoy a complimentary snack along with views of Mt. McKinley and the occasional wolf, moose or falcon.

It seems it does have some interesting sights!

If this tour is cheap, maybe. But, you can easily drive to these locations. Are you interested in birds, does it mention you will have time for the trail? Hardly worth going if it's just a look at the small museum and a field of birds- was full of Canadian Geese last year.

Don't count on seeing McKinley, which is also simple with a car, from Fairbanks U, while there, it is worth a stop for the Botanical Garden, Large Animal Research tour- or just a look at Musk ox and Caribou. The tour, is all free stuff.

The pipeline will be a stop with your Gold Dredge, at a very nice area with informative plaques to read. Not sure how much "pipeline" you want?

Fairbanks Princess Lodge was in many ways our favorite of the three lodges we stayed at. There were more amenities than the other lodges, things were close together, there were nice walking paths and, contrary to what has been said, there were several restaurants within a nice walking distance (which we did not utilize). There was also a shuttle. It was much more like a nice hotel than any other place we were, simply because all the rooms were in a single building. Everyone has their own tastes, but the rooms were the largest of any of our stops and the availability of services was also better.