Pre-Cruise plans for San Juan~confusion over check-in/out times

HeatherJA

OK, so I'm pretty naive when it comes to cruising! Forgive me!

First question: We will fly into San Juan the day before our cruise. We'll be able to check into our hotel with no problems. However, the next day, check out is at noon. How early can we board the ship? 10 pm is our embarkation time.

Next question: We disembark at 7 am, and our check in time for hotel is at 4. Can we take our luggage to the hotel before check in so that we can enjoy the hotel grounds or sight see in San Juan before having access to our room? Is it safe to do that?

OK, so I'm pretty naive when it comes to cruising! Forgive me!

First question: We will fly into San Juan the day before our cruise. We'll be able to check into our hotel with no problems. However, the next day, check out is at noon. How early can we board the ship? 10 pm is our embarkation time.

Next question: We disembark at 7 am, and our check in time for hotel is at 4. Can we take our luggage to the hotel before check in so that we can enjoy the hotel grounds or sight see in San Juan before having access to our room? Is it safe to do that?

Not sure what ship you are on, but we normally head over to the port around 10:30am. RCCL boarding usually starts around 11:00am, give or take.

We have always been able to head over to the hotel right after getting off the ship. They will store your bags for you, and in the case of the resorts, give you an armband or something similar so you can use the facilities. At least that has been our experience twice.

You will be able to board by Noon. I would arrive around 11:00 AM.

I would do as PeterPan noted. Just go over to the hotel and if the room is ready they will check you all in. Otherwise they will check you in and then when the room is ready you can use it but in the meantime they will store your luggage.

Keith

We checked out of our hotel at noon and took a taxi to the port. Got on board fairly quickly and had lunch, explored a bit around the ship. Had plenty of time to leave the ship again and explore Old San Juan.

For after the cruise, I called the hotel where we were booked to stay and asked about the luggage situation. The clerk told me lots of cruisers bring their luggage and leave it at the hotel for the day, until they can come back later and officially check in. When we arrived, we found the luggage was just being left in the lobby next to the check-in desk, unsecured although an attendant was on duty at the desk. I made sure we had locks on all the bags, and though we felt a little unsure about the security, we left the luggage [taking our valuables in our shoulder bag with us]. There was no problem at all. I'd say there were at least twenty or more suitcases huddled together in that corner!

Archived