San Francisco-San Diego Walk? or rent a car?

I live in California. San Francisco is not anywhere near San Diego... If you really intend to spend 3 days in San Francisco and 2 days in San Diego, plus travel time you're really looking at at least 7 days before your cruise.

Generally speaking, California is a car country. You are pretty much half handicap without a car in CA. I'd rent a car, especially if you are traveling with family of more than 2 person, with lot of luggages, rental car makes more sense instead of purchasing train/air tickets and haul all the luggages on and off the public transportation. Beside CA public transportation really stinks. There are Amtrack and there are airlines, that's pretty much it, oh Greyhound too.

Driving gives you a lot more flexibility in CA, however, drive from SF to SD is probably going to cost you 10 hours + one way. But on the other hand you get to see California coast on the way.

Parking in downtown SF and SD, however, is going to cost you some trouble.

Hope this helps.

What innerfish says is true but those two cities have decent tourist transportation.

I would fly into San Francisco, tour then fly to San Diego. Parking in San Fransciso can be very expensive.

You could drive to San Diego. Parts are beautiful, parts are lousy. Need to time LA rush hour correctly. On a good day the drive could be as short as 8 hours. Also depends on which freeway you take. Amtrak is another option but it will take longer.

Price it out. Sometimes it is cheaper to have the car for the week and pay for parking and drop off fees.

You don't need a car in San Francisco. We recently came back from a land vacation and we happened to have a car but only because we were driving all around California. If you can't walk, you can either use muni transportation which includes the cable cars and that is $14 pp per week, (2 ways on the cable car is $6 x 2 = $12) or there are plenty of other options such as HoHo bus or ferry. We stayed near Fisherman's Wharf because we wanted to do the tourist thing, and almost everything is walkable from here. Parking at our hotel was around $40.00 per night but fortunately I found a deal that included parking.

You don't need a car in San Francisco

Oh, I totally agree.

We just came back too and used BART from the airport to several areas including d/t San Fran. It's a very easy, safe system to use.

If I was you, I'd fly into San Fran, take BART to d/t spend my 2 or 3 days sightseeing, take BART back to the airport and catch my flight to LAX.

Thanks to all

Yes, we are staying near Fishermans Wharf for 3 days, hoping we can get by without a car, using public transport, to do the regular tourist sights...

we are considering renting a car to drive the coast to San Diego, (drive the whole day, stopping here and there) mainly on the 1 (Big Sur, Santa Monica, Monterey, Carmel, Morro Bay,Long Beach)

We only have 6 days total...drop off the car, then stay 2 more days near the port of San Diego, and again get around with PT.

...Other option is Amtrak all the way down, wondering how much coastline we will see?

Really wanted to do that drive...

..any other suggestions appreciated

...Other option is Amtrak all the way down, wondering how much coastline we will see?

Agree that you should use transit in SF. A car will be a liability to find parking (there's an annual parking contest where the driver has to find legal parking in different districts of the City, and the first person to return wins a gold-plated parking meter!) If you are stuck with a car for some reason, I'd just leave it at your lodging and take transit.

San Diego is somewhat different...parking is a bit easier and cheaper. Once you get outside the immediate downtown core there's free parking almost everywhere. SD is more spread out than SF and transit is not as dense. But you can still get to all the tourist areas via transit in SD (there's a pretty good light rail trolley system in addition to buses).

On the Amtrak question, you won't see the ocean at all until Arroyo Grande, south of San Luis Obispo. The train is within a few miles of the ocean (sometimes right along the beach) until Ventura. Then it's inland through the LA Metro area. About 50 miles south of downtown LA the tracks hit the coast again from San Juan Capistrano to La Jolla, then go inland to SD. Not as much ocean or beach as you'd think, but still a very scenic route. The inland stretch between Salinas and San Luis Obispo is great in it's own way....golden hills with oak trees and farmland.

Thanks to all

Yes, we are staying near Fishermans Wharf for 3 days, hoping we can get by without a car, using public transport, to do the regular tourist sights...

we are considering renting a car to drive the coast to San Diego, (drive the whole day, stopping here and there) mainly on the 1 (Big Sur, Santa Monica, Monterey, Carmel, Morro Bay,Long Beach)

We only have 6 days total...drop off the car, then stay 2 more days near the port of San Diego, and again get around with PT.

If you are going to go to San Diego from San Francisco in one day via Highway 1, you won't be doing any stopping. It is a slow, very, very winding two-lane road south of Monterey to near Morro Bay. You need at least 2 days for to enjoy highway 1, with the freedom to stop where the spirit moves you, breaking maybe around San Simeon/Cambria.

If you need to do it in one day, you need to take the freeway. 101 is a bit longer but more scenic than 5 (which is not scenic at all) and still a freeway/4 lane highway. 101 runs pretty much along the coast from Gaviota to Ventura.

Thanks to all

Amtrak goes along the coast for about 100 miles. It frequently is right on the coast. One nice thing is a lot of that 100 miles on the northern end is through Vandenberg Air Force Base, and a lot of that is completely undeveloped and off-limits. It is the coast the way it used to look before development and the only way to see a lot of that is via Amtrak.

If you take the Coast Starlight, the only train that extends north of San Luis Obispo to the Bay Area, you'll be doing the 10:00pm LA-San Diego train, so the coast run from San Clemente south will be after dark.

If you go via Hwy 1, it is a very slow drive, and certainly will be more than 10 hours. I understand the interest in Hwy 1, and have driven it many times. But I can't recommend going SF to San Diego in one day via Hwy 1.

Would you suggest cutting one day from San Francisco and adding one to the drive down the coast?

You could, and stay in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara. Both wonderful, fun towns. Downtown San Luis Obispo on a good weather Thursday night would be a highlight.

If you go Hwy 101 from SF to LA, then south on Hwy 405 and 5, you are going to see coast line. The Hwy 1 (Monterey County) area is pretty, and rugged, but it may also be fogged in, and visibility might be an issue.

Sounds like you will be going between October and April. In the coldest, wettest months, the Monterey County portion can also be closest by slides.

You could, and stay in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara. Both wonderful, fun towns. Downtown San Luis Obispo on a good weather Thursday night would be a highlight.

If you go Hwy 101 from SF to LA, then south on Hwy 405 and 5, you are going to see coast line. The Hwy 1 (Monterey County) area is pretty, and rugged, but it may also be fogged in, and visibility might be an issue.

Sounds like you will be going between October and April. In the coldest, wettest months, the Monterey County portion can also be closest by slides.

yeah, i agree with CruiserBruce; whether a couple or even a family, take the two days, and stop somewhere SLO, paso Robles (wine), Harris Ranch,(don't remember town, but really good beef), Santa Barbara. Get close enough so that you just have a nice morning drive right to the car rental return, and then the port. you won't regret it. if you plan to stay in San diego, there are many places close to pier and right downtown that are wonderful and have plenty of public transit, and the pier is right there.

Thursday night in San Luis Obispo is Farmers Market.

http://visitslo.com/cm/Activities/Farmers%20Market.html

If you do go to SLO or Santa Barbara see if you can get some Santa Maria BBQ TriTip. Mouth is watering just thinking about it.

The CalPoly campus in SLO is a fun place to stop. They create half of the Rose Parade Float here and ship it down to meet up with the CalPoly Pomona half over Thanksgiving weekend.

Check out the greenhouses for the flowers and the Farm Store for some really good homemade foods.

yeah, i agree with CruiserBruce; whether a couple or even a family, take the two days, and stop somewhere SLO, paso Robles (wine), Harris Ranch,(don't remember town, but really good beef), Santa Barbara. Get close enough so that you just have a nice morning drive right to the car rental return, and then the port. you won't regret it. if you plan to stay in San diego, there are many places close to pier and right downtown that are wonderful and have plenty of public transit, and the pier is right there.

Harris Ranch is on the Hwy 5, Central Valley side. You should only go the Central Valley side if speed is your number 1 criteria.

Trust me, SD is not as pedestrian/public transportation friendly as SF. However, SD parking is generally much cheaper.

We drive to wherever we want to go, and then park and walk. We do have trolleys but nothing like the transportation in SF.

Pat

I'll agree with the posters here that a car in SF is not necessary (it probably is more of a hindrance given the parking situation.) You should do fine taking BART from the airport and Muni in town. I also agree that if you are going to San Diego via Highway 1, it would be a good idea to 1) split the trip in two and 2) be patient on the twisty two lane road that will make for a slow trek.

A little late to the party here, but let me add some comments...

As a tourist, one day is NOT enough time for route 1... Even two days is stretching it...

You are talking about 12-15 hours of driving, depending on whether you save on time with some of the shortcuts rather than sticking to the coast every mile...not a lot of time for stops...

And the main reason for doing it IS some of the stops...Monterey and the 17 mile drive, Hearst Castle, the Santa Barbara County wineries and Solvang, Santa Barbara...

Hearst Castle alone is a "don't miss"...and it requires half a day (you have to do it with a tour--no choice)...

You also run into issues that there are some sections of this road you MUST do during daylight hours--just a little treacherous in the dark if you are unfamiliar...So, timing becomes important...you don't want or get caught in the wrong stretch at the wrong time...

In general, it does pay to have a car in San Diego, but, depending on what you want to do, there is a lot you can do on foot or by public transportation, especially if you stay in the Downtown/Gaslamp area...they do have a nice little HOHO bus tour...

San Francisco can be a nightmare for a tourist WITH a car...parking is horrendous...and some of the streets are so steep as to be frightening. (Of course, I'll be there the weekend after next WITH my car...and I dread trying to park near my daughter's apartment in the Marina District (close to Fisherman's Wharf). But San Francisco has great public transportation...and even taxis are relatively cheap and easy. From the wharf, you can walk to a lot...and you can get the boat tours to Alcatraz...Napa and the wine country might require a tour of some sort...it is quite a ways out of the City...along with the Redwoods...

You might also want to consider flying from one to the other and saving the coastal drive for another trip...

Good luck...

I have to say, being from the NYC area, we found driving in S.F. easy peasy compared to driving in Manhattan.:) We drove to Alamo Square from Fisherman's wharf and found free parking at the curb.

Alamo Square isn't exactly the problem...it's not a high traffic tourist area...Parking in Chinatown, Fishermans Wharf, the Marina, the Financial District and North Beach is the problem...the places most tourists want to go...parking for restaurants, nightspots and tourist attractions...I've driven in New York City as well...and London, Paris and Rome...sure, NONE are easy to drive or park in...same with San Francisco...but, compared to anywhere else in the world? It also depends on how familiar one is with the city...the less familiar you are with a town, the more difficult it is to drive. San Francisco is complicated by the fact it is laid out on a grid pattern but over some incredibly steep hills...causing difficult climbs, sudden descents and many blind intersections...

San Francisco is complicated by the fact it is laid out on a grid pattern but over some incredibly steep hills...causing difficult climbs, sudden descents and many blind intersections...

And two different clashing grids...Market St. cuts diagonally through the City. In the downtown / Financial District, everything north of Market runs on an approximately N/S/E/W grid while the grid south of Market is turned 45 degrees. When the two converge on either side of Market there are some crazy intersections!

Streets on a rotated grid are quite common in the original core of California cities. The Spanish settlers and missionaries laid out the first streets. They brought over the practice from Spain. The reason is that turning houses and buildings 45 degrees means the sun hits them on two sides during the day instead of 3 sides and the inside stays cooler.

A little late to the party here, but let me add some comments...

As a tourist, one day is NOT enough time for route 1... Even two days is stretching it...

You are talking about 12-15 hours of driving, depending on whether you save on time with some of the shortcuts rather than sticking to the coast every mile...not a lot of time for stops...

And the main reason for doing it IS some of the stops...Monterey and the 17 mile drive, Hearst Castle, the Santa Barbara County wineries and Solvang, Santa Barbara...

Hearst Castle alone is a "don't miss"...and it requires half a day (you have to do it with a tour--no choice)...

You also run into issues that there are some sections of this road you MUST do during daylight hours--just a little treacherous in the dark if you are unfamiliar...So, timing becomes important...you don't want or get caught in the wrong stretch at the wrong time...

In general, it does pay to have a car in San Diego, but, depending on what you want to do, there is a lot you can do on foot or by public transportation, especially if you stay in the Downtown/Gaslamp area...they do have a nice little HOHO bus tour...

San Francisco can be a nightmare for a tourist WITH a car...parking is horrendous...and some of the streets are so steep as to be frightening. (Of course, I'll be there the weekend after next WITH my car...and I dread trying to park near my daughter's apartment in the Marina District (close to Fisherman's Wharf). But San Francisco has great public transportation...and even taxis are relatively cheap and easy. From the wharf, you can walk to a lot...and you can get the boat tours to Alcatraz...Napa and the wine country might require a tour of some sort...it is quite a ways out of the City...along with the Redwoods...

You might also want to consider flying from one to the other and saving the coastal drive for another trip...

Good luck...

The original idea was to take the full 6 days to do the coast drive, not everyone in our group wanted the road trip

So we decided to do a Sampler and decide if we want to redo this trip over a 2 week period and really absorb all there is in the different areas.

As of yet, we still have not decided which way to go, still thinking, and greatly appreciating all the different views expressed here, thanks

Just want to reiterate that to go from San Francisco to San Diego via Hwy 1 and Big Sur in one day will simply be grueling. If you need to stick to one day, don't take 1. Take 101, there are some sights and quite a bit of coast on it, and it is a lot faster and easier. Save 1 for when you have more time.

Just want to reiterate that to go from San Francisco to San Diego via Hwy 1 and Big Sur in one day will simply be grueling. If you need to stick to one day, don't take 1. Take 101, there are some sights and quite a bit of coast on it, and it is a lot faster and easier. Save 1 for when you have more time.

As a native Northern Californian, I couldn't agree more!

For more help planning your road trip, check Cruise Critic's sister travel site Trip Advisor. On the "More" tab, select "Travel Forums" from the drop-down menu. You can then choose your forum from the geographical listing, or go to the "Road Trips" forum on the right side of the listings.

Archived