avoiding getting dressed up on summit

thatbloominplace

we will be taking a 7 day cruise out of san juan in january. beforehand, we will spend a week in a resort out by the rainforest. since the week in pr will be very laid back, i don't want to pack a suit or sportcoat. on formal night(s) which venues can we eat at in smart casual. can you eat at the normandie in a nice pair of slacks and a polo shirt.

thanks,

steve

we will be taking a 7 day cruise out of san juan in january. beforehand, we will spend a week in a resort out by the rainforest. since the week in pr will be very laid back, i don't want to pack a suit or sportcoat. on formal night(s) which venues can we eat at in smart casual. can you eat at the normandie in a nice pair of slacks and a polo shirt.

thanks,

steve

As per the Celebrity web site ONLY the Main Dining room is requested to be formal. All other venues are Smart Casual. :p

You could always rent a tux online and have it ready for you when you board the ship. I never go on a cruise without a sport coat at the very least. Meh, different strokes... That's the joy of cruising!

We've done many cruises where our itinerary included land travel. Since we enjoy the outdoors and prefer to limit luggage we often decide to opt out of formal. On one trip we were gone for a month (land travel and cruise) and managed with carefully chosen clothing and one international size carry-on each. We plan our dining choices so that we eat at a specialty restaurant or other non-formal venues when the MDR is formal. It's not a big deal. There will be others who opt for smart casual.

One point to consider is that I have found that on formal nights, Celebrity tends to offer a bit higher end food in the MDR than other nights (such as lobster and filet mignon). If you miss those nights you miss that food. Specialty restaurants certainly make up for it, but just sayin. Another option to consider, particularly if you have a balcony, is room service. If weather cooperates, a nice romantic, relaxing meal on your balcony doesn't require any dress except for robes:D. At dinner time, any entree on the MDR menu can be delivered to your cabin.

One point to consider is that I have found that on formal nights, Celebrity tends to offer a bit higher end food in the MDR than other nights (such as lobster and filet mignon). If you miss those nights you miss that food. Specialty restaurants certainly make up for it, but just sayin. Another option to consider, particularly if you have a balcony, is room service. If weather cooperates, a nice romantic, relaxing meal on your balcony doesn't require any dress except for robes:D. At dinner time, any entree on the MDR menu can be delivered to your cabin.

Just robes hey, wouldn't want to catch a breeze on the balcony.:eek:

We always go to the main dining room on formal night because DH always gets the lobster and I get the filet mignon because I don't like lobster. Otherwise I would not care but he looks forward to it because imam currently on a diet so he is eating microwaved food for awhile. He cruises for real food and when he goes to visit his mom and she always cooks what he likes. Happy sailing.

We always go to the main dining room on formal night because DH always gets the lobster and I get the filet mignon because I don't like lobster. Otherwise I would not care but he looks forward to it because imam currently on a diet so he is eating microwaved food for awhile. He cruises for real food and when he goes to visit his mom and she always cooks what he likes. Happy sailing.

Dressing for the food is well worth it IMO.:D

We have an Adriatic and a TA cruise coming up. Formal wear does not fit into the picture of us as we will be doing quite a bit of of land based travel before, in between, and after the cruises. Our land travel requires that we pack light so the formal clothes stay at home.

There are other places to dine on the ship, including in our room, so it is not really an issue. We like the Bistro as a change from the usual fare.

We have had enough dinners on formal nights in the MDR so it is not a big issue for us to pass on them.

This is great news for me! I am just starting to research Celebrity and have never looked at it before because I heard it was too formal. We live a casual Fl lifestyle and just prefer not to dress formally anymore. We don't mind if others do, and we do not want to offend anyone by us not. So room service would be a great alternative!

thanks for all the responses!! we have booked the normangie and qsine for the 2 formal nights. we like to mix it up a little so this will accomplish both goals-- different venues and smart casual only.

steve

I am pleased for you and hope you enjoy the cruise to the fullest.:D

On one trip we were gone for a month and managed with carefully chosen clothing and one international size carry-on each.

I hope there was room for deodorant in that carry-on. :cool:

Formal nights are inconvenient when you are traveling for an extended period. The food on formal nights isn't anything special. On my last cruise in May, the first formal night was good, the second was awful. The lobster tails were cold and dry. I requested a replacement which was also bad. On my next cruise, I will book specialty dining, go to the buffet or order room service. I did see men without jackets in the MDR on formal nights. If you really want to eat in the MDR on formal night, do it. You will not be excluded because you aren't wearing a jacket. If you feel weird not wearing a jacket, Celebrity will loan you one.

Most of our cruises we are very restricted re.weight. However, David always takes his tux which is very lightweight as we enjoy the formal evenings. We do have extremely lightweight luggage which helps. Now I am another matter - I DO take lots of evening wear! Thinking of taking a tux is nothing in comparison to a lady taking dresses, matching shoes, bags and wraps:eek:

You men have it easy so put in the tux, enjoy the evening, go with the flow and believe me you will look fantastic - should be worthwhile! LOL:p

Can you order lobster to your room on the night they serve it in the MDR?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes you can.Make arrangements with the ass't Matre D ithe evening before.

Yes you can.Make arrangements with the ass't Matre D ithe evening before.

You do not have to make arrangements the night before, just get a menu from your room attendent on the day involved and call room service. Your entire meal will be delivered at one time unless in a suite in which case your butler will serve it by course. Also, during the day you can check the menu which is posted outside the dining room.

It's good to know that you can borrow a jacket in the mdr. Thats what i'll do on formal nights if I can't wear a nice sweater.

Not sure that all the ships have sport jackets to loan out, you are being too optimistic and stand the chance of being denied entry to the MDR.

Archived