Scuba Diving ... get certified or not???

Dirkgun

Going to Hawaii in June of 2013 on the NCL Pride of America and want to try scuba diving. Is it better, or necessary to get certified first. I have checked and a class to get certified where I live is $250 per person plus the cost of books ad equipment. Thanks in advance for any help. :cool::D

You could possibly do a discover scuba as a tour but more than likely wouldnt get to go very deep or see as much. As someone who recently became certified (Sept '11) I would say go for the class. I cant get enough of it and begin planning my next dive trip on the way back from the previous one.

Talk to a local dive shop and see about doing a discover scuba through them. Locally for us Groupon has a ad for a $15 discover scuba course. That is my suggestion

I would encourage getting certified. The Discover Scuba courses tend to only scratch the surface for what you can do with a full certification. As much as I love it, I do admit that Scuba is one of the most expensive hobbies you can take up. That said, for equipment, you should only need mask, fins, and snorkel for now (you can usually rent the other equipment you need from the dive shops). As you gain experience, you will want to have your own equipment, but you can accrue this all over time.

I have not personally had a chance to dive in Hawaii yet, but there are a number of operators there that run night dives with the manta rays that I would love to do.

I would encourage getting certified. The Discover Scuba courses tend to only scratch the surface for what you can do with a full certification. As much as I love it, I do admit that Scuba is one of the most expensive hobbies you can take up. That said, for equipment, you should only need mask, fins, and snorkel for now (you can usually rent the other equipment you need from the dive shops). As you gain experience, you will want to have your own equipment, but you can accrue this all over time.

I have not personally had a chance to dive in Hawaii yet, but there are a number of operators there that run night dives with the manta rays that I would love to do.

Yeah the Manta dives look incredible. So for starting out can you use snorkeling fins? (we are going to buy better masks I just don't want to carry the long fins in luggage (our snorkel fins are shorter ones)

You could possibly do a discover scuba as a tour but more than likely wouldnt get to go very deep or see as much. As someone who recently became certified (Sept '11) I would say go for the class. I cant get enough of it and begin planning my next dive trip on the way back from the previous one.

Talk to a local dive shop and see about doing a discover scuba through them. Locally for us Groupon has a ad for a $15 discover scuba course. That is my suggestion

The Groupon this is a great idea.. I will look. We mostly love to snorkel but want to try scuba and figured Hawaii would be a great place to start.

Thanks for the insight.

The manta ray night dive is in Kona. POA only stops at Kona for 1 day, so unless you want to miss the boat, it doesn't allow you to do that dive.

The $15 groupon for Discovery scuba is an excellent price. But it probably just gets you into a pool for basic trial. The PADI Discovery scuba has lessons and lets you do 2 open water dives, which you can then "upgrade" to get the full certification.

It's not too difficult to get certification. After that, it allows you to go to the regular advertised dives. Without certification, most shops would require you to do the resort course, or something similar to the Discovery scuba course over and over again (at a high cost), and still not take you out too far, not too deep (less than 40'). So if you are going to do that 2 times, might as well get fully certified with classes and 4 open water dives.

Going to Hawaii in June of 2013 on the NCL Pride of America and want to try scuba diving. Is it better, or necessary to get certified first. I have checked and a class to get certified where I live is $250 per person plus the cost of books ad equipment. Thanks in advance for any help. :cool::D

I became OW certified Oct 2010 and greatly enjoy ebing under the water while diving. I do look back and realize that I missed the opportunity to dive for the prior 25 years of cruising vacations.

As for equipment, you could always rent everything while traveling and avoid baggage issues. Full size fins do not pack in average size bags.

The $250 rate is great so make sure you know the full cost such as cost of cert dives, equipment, cert card...

Enjoy

John

Please please please get certified. Diving can be very dangerous and even a full training course is barely enough to let you know how to handle the dangers and make sure you're not going to freak out underwater. I don't mean to scare you, but I feel like diving without full certification is really an unnecessary risk. Don't let the "shallow depth" fool you. Its the first 33ft that pressures are changing the fastest.

Diving is great fun, and can absolutely be done very safely. Its just one of those things that requires a little training first.

Get certified, I asked myself the very same question a few months ago. I took the discover scuba at our local dive shop to see if I liked it. I did and enrolled in the PADI open water class, Just did my four open water dives last weekend and are now certified. We leave on an eight day cruise in a month and I have four dives scheduled so far. I have snorkeled numerous times and always wanted to scuba. Now I can and will. Check out PADI.COM!

My class was $399, books and dvd about $130 and $195 for the open dives plus equipment rental ($100) and $40 for the diving fees at the lake. Yes, it can get expensive.

Please please please get certified. Diving can be very dangerous and even a full training course is barely enough to let you know how to handle the dangers and make sure you're not going to freak out underwater. I don't mean to scare you, but I feel like diving without full certification is really an unnecessary risk. Don't let the "shallow depth" fool you. Its the first 33ft that pressures are changing the fastest.

Diving is great fun, and can absolutely be done very safely. Its just one of those things that requires a little training first.

I couldn't agree with this more! Scuba diving is wonderful but the dangers need to be respected. I took a Discover Scuba course a few years before I did my certification and had a bad experience. Fortunately i decided to do the open water course and do it right. I've been certified for 4 years and have 56 dives under my belt! The manta Ray night dive in Hawaii was my favorite!

for future readers

What was once called a resort course is now a 'discover dive'

http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/diver-level-courses/view-all-padi-courses/discover-scuba-diving/default.aspx

I recommend any potential diver, unless they're already a very accomplished snorkeler, take a discover so that they can experience breathing from a hose before they invest a couple of hundred bucks. I've seen folks drop the class after the first pool session with no refund . . . (btw I've been certified for nearly 40 years and have many hundred dives throughout the Carib')

A discovery is not a course on its own, but technically the time can be applied to an open water course (if you change teaching locations I would NOT hold my breath on this one)

0727mail.jpg

you can usually book a discover thru a cruise and it will cost a nice penny. Some are better than others. IME doing this in Cayman beats all other locations (I've done two as a ride along, watching dd in the last 3 years in anticipation of her completing Open Water which she did recently) Your local dive shop may do a free discovery in a pool to try to sell you on a class.

Here's dd and I celebrating her new open water cert by diving Nemo's tank in EPCOT (formerly known as the Living Seas)

disneydivetwo.png

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the insight.... We scheduled a class for both my wife and I. We start next week. Very excited for it.

Good luck! I just finished my OW certification and will dive in St Thomas next April. The discover scuba dives can be fun and worth the cost. I did two. I actually did it three times :o I took it once bymself in a pool and loved it. I lost my job and wasn't able to go back for the course. When we cruised again, I signed up for a discover scuba with my wife in St Thomas. She decided she didn't live it and got back in the boat. The rest of the dive would have been a great experience, except for one lady in the class who couldn't swim so the instructor towed her around and I'm sure that cut the dive time considerably.

I definitely recommend getting certified before going so you can to the better areas. At my local dive shop they will appy the cost of discover scuba class to your certification class if you sign up. They ususally do discover scuba in the pool but I've also seen them do it at the Springs where they do check out dives. As far as packing fins for the trip. I wouldn't worry about that. When you book a dive with or without equipment the price difference is usually only $10 and includes everything you need except maybe a wetsuit (in the carribean) that you can pay extra for. Lots of people who are renting gear bring their own mask but not their fins. I usually haul my own equipment (except tanks & weights of course) but it is tempting to rent because it looks so much more convenient and frees you up for easier exploring after the dive.

Get certified, I asked myself the very same question a few months ago. I took the discover scuba at our local dive shop to see if I liked it. I did and enrolled in the PADI open water class, Just did my four open water dives last weekend and are now certified. We leave on an eight day cruise in a month and I have four dives scheduled so far. I have snorkeled numerous times and always wanted to scuba. Now I can and will. Check out PADI.COM!

My class was $399, books and dvd about $130 and $195 for the open dives plus equipment rental ($100) and $40 for the diving fees at the lake. Yes, it can get expensive.

Not to veer off subject, but...

Price wise, that is a big WOW. I live just an 2 hours down the road near St. Louis and our price was between $300-$350 for our OW. That is online classes, poolwork, and 4 OW dives at Mermet Springs down by Metropolis. All diving fees and rental equipment were included in the price.

Where did they do the OW dives at?

Mermet is nice. Like any quarry dive it is murky, especially after noon or so when the muck is all kicked up. Quite a few attractions to see underwater also. Temps right now are over 80 at the 20' platform.

When I was there last month Anything shallower than 20' I was in trunks and a rash guard. I didnt take it but I think I would have been good in my 3mm suit down to 35 or so. And down to 55 I was fine in my 5mm as long as I had my hood and gloves.

Trying to talk my wife into our AOW, but she seems fine with OW. Of course, I also want to go all the way to DM, possibly further. Only regret I have about diving is waiting so long to get into it.

Yes, Mermet has the jet from the movie filmed in Kentucky. Don't know your age, but I can retire in a few years. I've snorkeled numerous times and finally gave into the urge to scuba this summer. The AOW is much cheaper here, only $240 for book and five dives, plus equipment rental. We go to St. Thomas and Antiqua week after next, have four dives planned.Would like to dive the Bahama's but our ship gets in too late. If I enjoy them, then I might purchase a bcd, reg, computer, etc. Have you ever dived the cavern west of STL? Is a special certification needed for that?

Im 40, so I have 15 years before retiring. That is the plan atleast. I keep saying my plan is retire to the Caribbean, open a little hotel/bar/diveshop, and take tourist out on a boat diving then afterwards sell them fruity drinks with umbrellas. We all can dream, right?

Never dove the Bonne Terre mines, but Id like to. You can dive it without the certification, but to get it credited to you, you need to take a class

As just an FYI, Hawaii's diving is not quite as great as in the Caribbean. It is not nearly as clear. But there are lots of turtles, and cool sea life you don't typically see, like an octopus! But diving everywhere is great, and if ou are at all interested, just go for it. As an FYI, you likely will need to pay for your 2 sets of open water dives in orde to officially complete your certification and to get the card. Another thing to consider is discover scuba usually costs twice as much for the dives, with half the dives (1 instead of 2)

for future readers

Here's dd and I celebrating her new open water cert by diving Nemo's tank in EPCOT (formerly known as the Living Seas)

disneydivetwo.png

I dove at Epcot, twice actually. Is so much fun, even if such a short depth! I went once myself, then returned with my DH. That was the only time we will ever get to dive together as he suffered a collapsed lung a few months later, and is no longer able to dive :(

Have you dove Belize, is actually found it to be better than the Caymans, by just a smidge.

I better stick to open water for now, We go to Florida twice a year, in the spring to Jupiter for Cardinal spring training and Sept/Oct for the Gulf or a cruise. Will have to check both areas for diving if we do not cruise. I hear Cozumel is great for diving. Diving might determine our next cruise trip.

Like this.

PICT0024.jpg

Dirkgun- We are glad that you are taking an open water course. We think that you will enjoy it. It's too bad that you didn't get to dive in the Western Caribbean. It's our favorite place to dive.

We did dive in Hawaii in Maui and Kona when they were doing the Ironman in Sept. 2001. We missed the Manta Ray dive because we did't

over night in Kona. What we WISHED that we have done if we had a do-over is to rent a car in Hilo (we did) to see the lava flow. Then drive to Kona , spend the night there and do the Ray dive there. Meet the ship on the next day , and have another night ashore. We stayed a week in Kauai

in a condo. We loved the helicopter ride there in the "Grand Canyon",

The Cliffs and close up Water falls.

• 5 months later...

Archived