Mendenhall Glacier - Juneau

sail7seas

We have been to Mendenhall several times but I guess after seeing Marjorie Glacier, John Hopkins Glacier and Hubbard, little bitty Mendenhall is rather anti-climatic :o. I think everyone's first time to Alaska it is a must to go see Mendenhall and hopefully your stop in Juneau is prior to see the big Glaciers :D I did find the Visitors Center interesting the first time but we have been there now 3 times and going there again will most likely not happen nothing has changed since our first visit in 2004. Unless we wait another 10 years and see how much more it has shrunk :(

Well, then......

I'm glad we were sure to visit there our first time to Alaska. We found it very enjoyable, a beautiful sight and I loved seeing the wild flowers growing around the Visitor's Center. There were blossoms I'd never seen before and I really like wild flowers.....

We were relaxed and happy there and we liked the tour director as well as our fellow cruisers on the bus. It was lovely and provided nice memories. :)

In very early May 2010, we had one of our favorite Alaska cruise days (well, half day) spent at the Mendenhall Glacier. (in prior cruises, we had done lots of other things in Juneau, including whale watching with Captain Larry (great), Mt Roberts tram and related hiking, helicoptor ride and landing on a glacier, and so on, but never had gone out to Mendenhall) We bought those very cheap bus tickets (a few dollars) you can pick up at the dock, right by the ship, and went out to Mendenhall Glacier and roamed around the grounds for ages. The glacier had calved the evening before, and the water was full of the most gorgeous and interesting mini icebergs - really spectacular. There were very few tourists there and we were fortunate to meet and spend time talking to a local woman who brings her dog there every day - really interesting to hear her perspective on living in Alaska after moving there from SoCal following her retirement. We also enjoyed talking to a park ranger, who was full of intersting information about the glacier and Juneau area. The walk to the waterfall was pleasant and pretty, and it was fun to be able to stand, basically, just next to the waterfall. Easy bus ride back - only had to wait about 15 minutes for a bus. For those who want to do something mellow and cheap, with a fair bit of walking that is not arduous, and see some spectacular scenery right at your feet, I highly recommend going to Mendenhall on your own.

On our last Alaska cruise we did the Heli=Tour and it was awe-inspiring (an my first helicopter ride) Walking on the glacier was facinating, even though I had done Columbia Icefields on the Banff-Jasper Parkway.

The Mendenhall trip rounded out a triple glacier experience as we also did the Portage glacier boat tour and Hubbard Glacier on that trip. Each was a unique experience and a different perspective. We saw lots of calving at both Portage and Hubbard, so didn't miss it at Mendenhall. We even had a gorgeous warm day and left behind all the winter gear and walked around in sweatshirts on the glacier.

Just back from Alaska cruise number 7. I always enjoy Mendenhall Glacier and like seeing the changes over the years -- 1985 to 2012. This time, the trail to the waterfall was new to me and enjoyable even in light rain. Saw salmon in Steep Creek, and on the way back to the shuttle bus, saw a black bear by the bridge over the creek. Got close up pictures! It's scenic, and an inexpensive trip. Why miss it?

It's scenic, and an inexpensive trip. Why miss it?

Because there are other, more interesting excursions available in Juneau (Taku Lodge, Misty Fjords, whale watching, etc.) while there are also better glacier experiences elsewhere. But if you've already done the other stuff in Juneau, then it is an inexpensive way to pass the time, although I'd suggest a walk up to St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox church is even more interesting.

Because there are other, more interesting excursions available in Juneau (Taku Lodge, Misty Fjords, whale watching, etc.) while there are also better glacier experiences elsewhere.

Misty Fjords is out of Ketchikan, not Juneau. I guess it's possible to go to Misty Fjords from Juneau but that would be one heck of a long excursion with one heck of a price tag. ;)

Our last Alaskan cruise (2010) we did a canoe excursion to Mendenhall glacier. It was truly one of my all-time favorite experiences. Such beauty. Silly to admit, but we were actually surprised to see icebergs on a lake.:D Just never thought about it before that time.

I'll never forget coming around a bend in our canoe and our first glimpse of the glacier. It was breathtaking! The glacier had just calved a huge portion the night before and the blue at that point was so striking.

ry400.jpg

We did, on the same day, take a helicopter ride to Herbert? glacier. Fun, FULL day!!

The Mendenhall Glacier will always be very dear to us as we flew to the top in a Helicopter and got married right there in the wilderness.

Resize.jpg

Thank you for sharing your wedding photo.

That was quite a distance from Western Australia to be married, and a big difference in climate.

Thank you - it was the most amazing experience!!

More so for my hubby because while he knew we were getting married in Juneau he had no idea of the details.....

So, So, So special.

What an exquisite spot to begin a marriage.

So beautiful.

I am so grateful we got to see and fully enjoy it. Something I never thought we woud do.

Thanks for all the gorgeous photos. Loved looking at them. :)

Mendenhall had just calved the night before we saw it.

Archived