Cruises tailored to destination

jasbo49

I'd like see cruises a little more geared toward the territory they cover than what I've experienced so far. I read that the Princess cruises to Hawaii are island-themed on board. That's cool.

The three cruises we've taken to Mexico were almost completely without Mexican flavor or color. Not much in the way of Mexican music or food. The last cruise we took was to Alaska, and by the halfway point, they figured out they should have Alaskan Amber as a bar selection, and there was something they called "Alaskan salmon" on the MDR menu, but that was about it.

Are there cruises other than the Princess Hawaii voyages that have a lot of regional flavor? That sounds like a more complete vacation to me.

Jim

My goodness, where have you been? There are cruises that go to all 7 continents (we have been to 6 ). Of course many of these cruises are somewhat longer then your Mexican cruises and a lot more money.

Hank

I'd like see cruises a little more geared toward the territory they cover than what I've experienced so far. I read that the Princess cruises to Hawaii are island-themed on board. That's cool.

The three cruises we've taken to Mexico were almost completely without Mexican flavor or color. Not much in the way of Mexican music or food. The last cruise we took was to Alaska, and by the halfway point, they figured out they should have Alaskan Amber as a bar selection, and there was something they called "Alaskan salmon" on the MDR menu, but that was about it.

Are there cruises other than the Princess Hawaii voyages that have a lot of regional flavor? That sounds like a more complete vacation to me.

Jim

This is a luxury line but when we take Crystal Cruises some of the aspects of the cruise does match the itinerary. For example, there are destination lectures that cover the itinerary and from time to time local entertainment is brought on the ship and some of the menu items at lunch and at dinner will match the area we are sailing.

Are you looking for feedback on Hawaii or other areas of the world?

Keith

This is a luxury line but when we take Crystal Cruises some of the aspects of the cruise does match the itinerary. For example, there are destination lectures that cover the itinerary and from time to time local entertainment is brought on the ship and some of the menu items at lunch and at dinner will match the area we are sailing.

Are you looking for feedback on Hawaii or other areas of the world?

Keith

Keith:

Thank you for noting what I was actually asking.

We're probably not able to afford a luxury line at this point, and maybe never, but that's the kind of info I was looking for. Even though the one Princess cruise we took to Mexico didn't seem to have much Mexican flavor, I did enjoy some of the "enrichment" offerings that are so lacking on Carnival and NCL. For example, they had a conversational Spanish class so people could know how to ask a few key questions in town. And as far as I could tell, they weren't even trying to sell anything.

I'm not keying on Hawaii or Mexico and anything else, just wondering whether it's too much to ask for cruise lines to tie the cruise experience to the area visited. I would really like to have every cruise feel like the place we're going.

Jim

Sorry I mis-understood. As a general rule we have found that most cruise lines (and we have cruised on 12 lines) do not really tailor their cruises to the regions in which they cruise. On some ships they will sometimes bring a local cultural group (such as dancers or singers) aboard to do a show if the ship happens to be in a port until late or overnight. We have also experienced a few instances where a cruise ship will have a special meal or some menu items that are popular in a particular region. On some HA cruises they will feature some wines from the local region...but this is the exception rather then the rule.

I should again mention Holland America, because on their Grand Cruises (these are very long voyages) they will try to do things related to local countries and ports.

Hank

I think all cruise lines do some things tailored to their destinations. I've only ever had reindeer meat on a ship that was in Alaskan waters. You don't see that in the Caribbean.

Likewise, I've had conch chowder in the Caribbean but not anywhere else. Every Caribbean cruise I've been on has had a Caribbean themed night in the dining rooms. Not that I think the food is completely authentic, but they try. I also remember some steel drum bands on different ships.

We just returned from a cruise around French Polynesia, and I'd say that was the most tailored for the area. There was plenty of opportunity to learn about the local culture and environment.

Sorry I mis-understood. As a general rule we have found that most cruise lines (and we have cruised on 12 lines) do not really tailor their cruises to the regions in which they cruise. On some ships they will sometimes bring a local cultural group (such as dancers or singers) aboard to do a show if the ship happens to be in a port until late or overnight. We have also experienced a few instances where a cruise ship will have a special meal or some menu items that are popular in a particular region. On some HA cruises they will feature some wines from the local region...but this is the exception rather then the rule.

I should again mention Holland America, because on their Grand Cruises (these are very long voyages) they will try to do things related to local countries and ports.

Hank

Thanks, Hank:

I think bringing on some local musicians is a good start. The Carnival cruise we're on in a few weeks apparently does this. There's also a Mexican buffet at 11 p.m. one night. (Not much good if you're not awake and hungry at that hour.)

While these are steps in the right direction, I'd like to see Mexican entrees available every night in the MDR, Mexican decor and mariachi music more than just once in awhile when we're on a trip to Mexico.

Similarly, ships cruising the Caribbean or Mediterrenean or Panama Canal could offer food and decor and cultural flavors from those areas.

So I guess there's some, but I think cruise lines could add a little flair here at a reasonable cost and make vacations more memorable.

Jim

Archived