Luggage Tags

Sox59

Hi Cherylroslyn,

I'm trying to find out what Celebrity's plans are. If I hear anything, I will post on this thread. Stay Tuned.

Thanks Andy.... I didn't want to cause mass hysteria....... I am wishing they will still send tags for my October cruise........

A lot of people don't have color printers so if all the luggage tags are white it is going to take longer for the luggage to be sorted.......and it will take longer to get to the cabins....... Also, it they are not reinforced with a laminate the paper will tear before the first handoff to a porter....

Well, whatever X decides to do, this is apparently a done deal over at RC (which we still sometimes cruise). And, although I have great admiration for all the folks (be honest -- you know who you are :p) who enjoy a good DIY crafting project -- for me, it's just one more packing/logistics hassle. So, last night, I popped over to the Serendipity website (just google it), and ordered a bunch of their cruise luggage tag holders. After watching their cute little video on how to use them, I opted for the longer tag handles. Hopefully, these will work -- ending the need to deal with staplers, tape, hole-punches, and zip-ties! ;)

A-- for me, it's just one more packing/logistics hassle. So, last night, I popped over to the Serendipity website (just google it), and ordered a bunch of their cruise luggage tag holders. After watching their cute little video on how to use them, I opted for the longer tag handles. Hopefully, these will work -- ending the need to deal with staplers, tape, hole-punches, and zip-ties! ;)

I agree, I have enough to do before vacation without crafting luggage tags.

Report back on how the luggage tag holders work for you.

Banjo - in case you haven't done it yet, you go to the bottom part of the page, past the area where the cruise docs are shown.

Pat

Thanks Pat, just ordered ours.

If you are going to the connections get-together I will see you then. Counting the days, really looking forward to this cruise :)

Alan and Cathy

Banjo - Alan and Cathy - we're planning a sail-away party after the muster drill in the Sunset Bar. Wear Mardi Gras beads and come meet everybody. The Connections party will likely be a few days later.

Pat

Banjo - Alan and Cathy - we're planning a sail-away party after the muster drill in the Sunset Bar. Wear Mardi Gras beads and come meet everybody. The Connections party will likely be a few days later.

Pat

Thank you Pat, we will be by with Mardi Gras beads.

My last job assignment before my retirement was in Biloxi, MS. My son back then, to help pay for his junior year high school prom, had the task of selling Mardi Gras beads prior to thee Mardi Gras. I think I ended up buying most them and I believe they are still in our attic where we keep the luggage. So we have plenty of beads :D

Princess also does this "print out your own tags." I was not surprised when Celebrity told us that is what they do.

I print them out. You buy a little stapler from amazon for $4 and a box of staples, another $4. The staples will last you forever. I keep it in my checked bag as it is a sharp instrument. I have little packer filled with things like the stapler, a corkscrew, etc. in my checked bag. You know, gadgets...

You get to the pier. You take out your little portable stapler (and it is tiny... It fits in the palm of my hand.) and staple on your luggage tags. This March I had people at the pier stopping to ask me where I got my stapler. The porter at the pier was impressed and said I should charge people to staple their tags. I declined as I wanted to get on the ship and not stand in the heat in San Juan stapling tags.

It is great. Oh, and don't take the entire box of staples with you. It adds weight. Just make sure your stapler is full before you leave for vacation.

Hope this helps!

We encountered the "arts & crafts" print your own tags on Holland America several years ago. While I much prefer receiving the tags in the mail the print your own tags worked fine.

I printed the tags, covered them with clear packing tape, folded them as directed and stapled them to my luggage before we left the US for Europe. They made the trip intact.

I made extra tags just in case but did not need them. Having the porters fill out tags at the port is an option but a nuisance.

Printing your own tags is not the end of the world but just another sign of cost cutting in a slow economy.

Sad :( Love getting luggage tags! It is the start of our vacation. I know some people won't understand. Printing them off and stapling them to the luggage won't work for us either...It's not like we drive to a port...Having pre-printed, sticky fold-over type tags was very convient and I, for one, am very sad that X has gone this route :(

I like getting the luggage tags. I do think of it as getting close to our next cruise. That said I printed out 12 color luggage tags yesterday for 3 rooms. Put the last name on them. Then I laminated them with a double back laminate paper. Richard

I agree, I have enough to do before vacation without crafting luggage tags.

Report back on how the luggage tag holders work for you.

I had ordered the luggage tags and they arrived within 2 days. I tried a "printed tag" that I had from an old cruise and it will work great! Since they are reusable, it's a great deal.....:)

This September we will embark on our third cruise with Celebrity..I just got off the phone with them and was informed that they are not sending luggage tag packets out to their guests on this cruise...Your luggage tags are part of your Guest Ticket Booklet, and you must print them out and bring them with you to the pier..where, the directions are to staple or tape them on...as if I will have either of those items with me after flying from N.Y. to Southampton...

REALLY- am I the only cruiser that feels this is cheap beyond cheap on Celebrity's part? just askin' :rolleyes:

I just know that change for the sake of $$ is on the rise! I have a little stapler that I am going to carry in my big travel purse just for the tags. It still works so I am happy about that. Although, I could have the hotel staple them before we wheel or taxi to Southampton. Choices, choices, but at least the cruise is less than a month away!;)

~S

I am amazed that this topic has continued this long. When you arrive at the dock, the folks that take your bags all have blank tags in their pocket and they will label your bags for you....with something that is "standard", something that is "readable" and something that is strong enough to withstand normal baggage handling.

It will take you much more time to print and fashion a label robust enough to actually stay on your bag at home or in your hotel room then just unloading your unlabled luggage at the dock and standing there while the baggage person fills out the tags. If you take the celebrity bus, yes, you will have to identify your bags (just like you did at the airport) and then they will label them.

If you make it to the dock with your luggage, it will get labelled.

Having said that, I'm sure the topic will now continue anyway :)

I always thought the luggage tags were kind of a waste anyway. I wish they would just get rid of them completely and bar code the bags at the pier or give you a link to print them at home.

Usually end up throwing half what I get away anyway. They must waste a lot of time and manpower as I've read people calling months in advance just to get luggage tags.

Glad they streamlined it a little and made an option rather than just sending them automatically, last two cruises I didn't even bother with them and just checked them at pierside, took two minutes.

With fuel prices going back up rather have them maybe sacrifice luggage tags or charge a dollar or two extra for people that want them mailed to them

The only problem with the tags acquired at the pier: Sometimes the writing is

pretty illegible. I've had luggage with hand written tags delivered to the right deck

but the wrong end, or the right end but the wrong deck. The porters use a sort of sharpie but it smears or is hard to read. Not a deal breaker but I do prefer the printed and mailed ones.

Printing your own luggage tags is no big deal. I print them out, sandwhich them between to pieces of packing tape for strength, and staple them on my bags after I pick them up at the airport. Takes all of five minutes.

I agree with one of the other post that mentions cost and excess tags. When you figure the number of cruises and number of cabins, it must cost them several thousand dollars a week to do it. I'd rather the cut be with the tags than something on the cruise itself.

I just know that change for the sake of $$ is on the rise! I have a little stapler that I am going to carry in my big travel purse just for the tags. It still works so I am happy about that. Although, I could have the hotel staple them before we wheel or taxi to Southampton. Choices, choices, but at least the cruise is less than a month away!;)

~S

You betcha, YouGo....I say leave your stapler at home and let's use the stapler at the hotel! I did a small craft project today, and created my tags using packing tape - thanks to the poster who suggested it. As travelers on this "test case" cruise, we can report back after the fact to everyone who has posted here..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived