Luggage Tags

Sox59

We ordered (online) the luggage tag holders from Serendipity on Friday. We got a confirmation number, but have not received any shipping information yet. Today, a poster on the RC board said that they called the company when their tags didn't arrive in 10 days. Apparently, business has been so good recently, that they have temporarily run out of the tag holders. The RC poster was told that they expected more stock in today, so they could resume filling the backlog of orders. So glad we're not in a hurry! :cool:

Why are so many people ordering all sorts of things? Celebrity has not changed anything.We received our tags within 5 days of completing the online form.RCI does a lot of things that Celebrity doesn't follow.

Yup - were testing on our May Eclipse cruise!!

How long does it really take to 'test' luggage labels?

I shall just use strips of white plastic supermarket bags, write on the cabin number, tie on the strips and off we go!!

I also have a secret plan.................:D:D:D

We got our luggage tag holders from Serendipity today (ordered last week). They are very nice -- well made, and look like they will hold up for many cruises. Don't need them for our upcoming Millie wine cruise, as X sent us the self-stick tags. But you never know how long X will continue to provide tags, so it's nice to have these! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Yippee - we are on route to Florida!!

Luggage tags - for Cruiselines - we purchased ours from Amazon.com - search for cruisetags, or http://www.tipsonairlines.com/cruisetags-cruise-ship-luggage-tags-8-pack/ these were designed for the e-doc luggage tags.

These work great - we have used the a number of times and straps are included.

With the change of RCCL going to paper tags now - this is a great solution - I hear they are introducing a narrow tag to work with RCCL & Celebrity.

2.jpg

They are luggage tags people? Does it really matter? Why is this so important? Never used them, never had any problems with my bags getting to my room. I am amazed that some people are so hung up on this item.

I'm with you all the way here..... we've never gotten luggage tags with Carnival or Princess and luggage has always gotten to the cabin just fine. I'm amazed at all the posts about how it's going to be illegible, fall apart, computer problems, etc.... Just write the ship and cabin # on a piece of paper, plastic tie like you see on plants or anything else. It only has to be on the bag from the time you leave the hotel or wherever until it gets on the ship. The porters are great about making sure the cabin #'s are on each piece of luggage. It's going from the pier to the ship. We've ordered the plastic tags for our next Celebrity cruise just because they're reusable. If you like this thread, you should read the one about soap vs shower gel.....and people's personal bathing habits...:rolleyes:

They were supposed to be testing them on our May cruise on the Eclipse out of Southampton. We did however receive some in the post (we didn't order them so maybe the TA did) but we changed our cabin nearer to departure date and so did our own. It wasn't a big issue really.

Before embarkation there was a guy asking how we found the luggage tag process, hubbie said it was no big deal to do your own and whilst I agreed I did say that I enjoyed receiving tags as part of the pre-cruise build up. When they arrive in the post you know that next cruise isn't far off :D

We've just ordered tags for our cruise, it's in 6 weeks time (for those who have been told you can't order them until 30 days before hand) and we are in the UK (for those who have been told is US/Canada only) ;)

They are luggage tags people? Does it really matter? Why is this so important? Never used them, never had any problems with my bags getting to my room. I am amazed that some people are so hung up on this item.

Lets have some fun and not put the tags on that they gives us for leaving the ship. We can all have fun looking threw all the luggage in the terminal. Richard

Why don't the cruise lines just go Full Self Serve?

Install Kiosks like the Airlines for Check-In. They can easily re-brand for each cruise-line as necessary with a few lines of code!

Fill Out Health Form

Scan your Passport, Scan your Credit Card

Snap a Photo

Spit out a Cruise Card

Spit out Luggage Tags

Hand Luggage to Porter or on Luggage Cart

Board Ship

Eat Lunch and Enjoy a Cocktails

All the while, not having to deal with a single human being :D

Boarding Cruise Ships, to me, always seems like a hugely inefficient process with confused passengers and even more confused agents! And if you want to deal with a person to check-in, there is a fee, just like many airlines and banks!

No need to carry around a stapler to attach self-printed tags, punch a hole in the centre of both ends of the luggage tags, take along a few small cable ties, thread one through the two corresponding holes and pull tight.

The cable ties are much easier to take along than a stapler (and are not prone to malfunction like many of the small staplers)

"Why don't the cruise lines just go Full Self Serve?

Install Kiosks like the Airlines for Check-In. They can easily re-brand for each cruise-line as necessary with a few lines of code!"

This is a very interesting idea, but I think that one problem is that generally the cruise lines don't own or operate the terminals, the ports do. This might mean a major investment for each port, to get the hardware installed. And of course, if the kiosks should fail, you would have the back up of 2000 plus passengers who would then need to check in by hand, only now there would be fewer personnel in the terminals to do it. I think I like the idea, and I'm sure that the bugs could be worked out, but would have to give it more thought.

Is there an entrepreneur out there in Cruise Critic land who would create a company to make these kiosks and pitch them to the cruise lines? They would be the ones to figure out all the details of such a scheme..... Hmmmm....

"Why don't the cruise lines just go Full Self Serve?

Install Kiosks like the Airlines for Check-In. They can easily re-brand for each cruise-line as necessary with a few lines of code!"

This is a very interesting idea, but I think that one problem is that generally the cruise lines don't own or operate the terminals, the ports do. This might mean a major investment for each port, to get the hardware installed. And of course, if the kiosks should fail, you would have the back up of 2000 plus passengers who would then need to check in by hand, only now there would be fewer personnel in the terminals to do it. I think I like the idea, and I'm sure that the bugs could be worked out, but would have to give it more thought.

Is there an entrepreneur out there in Cruise Critic land who would create a company to make these kiosks and pitch them to the cruise lines? They would be the ones to figure out all the details of such a scheme..... Hmmmm....

I agree it would be complicated and require investment by several parties. I proposed it because:

1) I figured i would get flamed to death by people who use Airline Kiosks, ATMs, Shop Online, etc but expect someone to personally hand them their cruise card as part of the "experience"

2) I figured i would get flamed to death by people accusing me of killing jobs

3) I purchased new asbestus underwear and wanted to see if the warranty was as good as it sounded!

Seriously though, yes it would take investment by the port and/or cruiselines, but that is no different than airports. In Airports there is a symbiotic relationship between national govts, local govts and airlines to make it work. They all invest in the terminals and services.

If they went self-serve, with limited full service, they could:

1) reduce overall costs for the long-term with reduced head-count

2) increase speed/service for seasoned cruisers

3) increase up-sell opportunities

- would you like to book a specialty rest now?

- would you like to book a spa appt now?

- would you like to book a drink package?

- would you like to xxxx?

4) eliminate cost of mailing luggage tags (subject of this thread)

- no postage

- reduced printing costs

- reduced labor

5) eliminate manual filing of heath acknowledgements

It wont happen tomorrow, but it's coming someday, if the cruiselines continue to grow in traffic, but be challenged by costs. I would rather see them reduce any/all costs outside the ship, to keep the on-ship experience all it can be!

• 1 month later...

Just got my documents for my Holland America cruise and not only was there no wallet but instructions to print your own luggage tags and we are expected to bring sticky tape and staples. Certainly not convenient when you are not cruising out of your home port. So much for the 5 star experience with HAL. Very dissapointed indeed.

Just got my documents for my Holland America cruise and not only was there no wallet but instructions to print your own luggage tags and we are expected to bring sticky tape and staples. Certainly not convenient when you are not cruising out of your home port. So much for the 5 star experience with HAL. Very dissapointed indeed.

Easy.

Before you leave home, print out your luggage labels.

Laminate them at home with 'Quick Laminate' which is a self adhesive laminate that requires no machine and can be bought at office suppliers.

Strengthen the top with some sticky tape along the ends then punch a hole initial. The put I your case or hand luggage when you get to port (somewhere they can be easily pulled out) the attach with cable ties.

No fuss. Easy. And no need to stress out.

We just returned from the "test cruise" for no luggage tags...the eclipse TA. During the cruise, we received an email from celebrity that based on input from the test, they were abandoning the idea of "print it yourself" luggage tags and they would be sending out luggage tags to all that want them. They thanked us for participating in the trial.

We just returned from the "test cruise" for no luggage tags...the eclipse TA. During the cruise, we received an email from celebrity that based on input from the test, they were abandoning the idea of "print it yourself" luggage tags and they would be sending out luggage tags to all that want them. They thanked us for participating in the trial.
Oh no! :eek: What a shame! :mad:

So now there will be no reason for continuing all these entertaining posts from people telling us how they enjoy printing and laminating their own tags, or how they love to bring along their own staplers, zip ties, hole punchers, or purchase special luggage tag holders.

Guess we have been missing out on all the fun because we are among the boring ones who simply get our luggage tagged at the pier, the fast and easy way.

That is the way we have been doing it for years, regardless of which cruise line we are traveling, and as we have never encountered any problem at any port doing it that way, now we are feeling deprived and left out because we have no luggage tag problems to complain about at all. :( ;)

Easy.

Before you leave home, print out your luggage labels.

Laminate them at home with 'Quick Laminate' which is a self adhesive laminate that requires no machine and can be bought at office suppliers.

Strengthen the top with some sticky tape along the ends then punch a hole initial. The put I your case or hand luggage when you get to port (somewhere they can be easily pulled out) the attach with cable ties.

No fuss. Easy. And no need to stress out.

Thank you 6andy6 for the great suggestion

Archived