Opinions on disembarking in Ensenada?

elena7seas

I am booked on the Solstice Pacific Coastal and America`s Cup cruise (September 13, 2013) that ends in Ensenada.

I`ve read a LOT on other threads about this experience, but would really appreciate hearing from anyone in this forum that ended a cruise in Ensenada in the last year or so.

For myself, whatever happens, I`ll just chalk it up to another travel experience, and just watch the whole thing unfold. (Think I will invest in a Kindle before I go, though :p).

However, I am thinking of encouraging friends to join me, but I don`t think they would do well if the Ensenada debarkation is as bad an experience as I have been reading. They haven`t cruised before, and I wouldn`t want to turn them off cruising by a nightmare debarkation.

As I understand it, there are two problems...the amount of time it takes the Mexico authorities to clear the ship, so the buses can`t plan to leave before 9:00-9:30 am; and the time it takes to get through US customs at the border. Prevailing wisdom seems to be that we would be well-advised to allow the whole day for the transit, and book a San Diegohotel for the night .

What are your experiences? Any input is most welcome.

Thanks!

OML, I just read this thread from beginning to end and I thought that my head would explode!!!

There is no way I can suggest this cruise to my friends, with the potential for disaster that exists at the end of the trip. I'll go my self, but that trip back from Ensenada is not for the faint of heart.

I know the itinerary is already set for the Sept. 13/13 Solstice cruise (which departs on Friday the 13th, I might add :p), but I wonder what the potential is for tendering to the ship in Vancouver, if an itinerary could be set up Vancouver to San Diego? After all, it would only be a tender one way. I wonder if there is anywhere before the Lions Gate Bridge that the Solstice could drop anchor, possibly near West Vancouver? I can think of a number of different ways to get passengers to the ship.

All of them would be WAY less annoying than the Ensenada debarkation. At the very least, no armed guards would be necessary!

if the Ensenada problem is not dealt with, I can see problems with filling the ship and keeping the Solstice on the West Coast. And I would dearly love to have the a Solstice-class ship on the West Coast for part of the year. There are many wonderful West Coast ports! And San Diego is a wonderful port to disembark in.

I know that the Port of Vancouver has the issue of the larger cruise ships under consideration. The Solstice can clear the Lion's Gate Bridge by 3.5 meters at low tide, but is too high by 1.5 meters to clear the bridge at high tide.

From the article referenced below:

"Of the Lions Gate Bridge issue, Ortega said the port is aware that some newer cruise ships can’t call in Vancouver because they’re too tall, but although a port report has indicated extensive work would be required to raise the bridge, “it’s technically possible.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Lions+Gate+Bridge+height+could+hurt+city+cruise+growth+executive+says/6505327/story.html#ixzz23pTepejo

Hmmm.

We have been looking at doing this cruise, but the disembarkation at Ensenada is what's stopping us. Just don't know if we want to end a beautiful cruise with what seems to be a near nightmare.

It's a wonderful itinerary, with the ability to watch the America's Cup finals right from the ship, and the other ports are great as well. I love the S-class ships so I won't let Ensenada scare me away. As long as I know what I might have to expect, I can put up just about anything.

However, my friends haven't cruised before, and I wouldn't want to taint their first Celebrity cruise by the possibilities that have been outlined by other cruisers who debarked in Ensenada. Even the best reports still make the whole experience seem like a pain. :rolleyes:

So sad. I'm gonna hate it if they pull the Solstice off the West Coast.

OML, I

I know the itinerary is already set for the Sept. 13/13 Solstice cruise (which departs on Friday the 13th, I might add :p), but I wonder what the potential is for tendering to the ship in Vancouver, if an itinerary could be set up Vancouver to San Diego? After all, it would only be a tender one way. I wonder if there is anywhere before the Lions Gate Bridge that the Solstice could drop anchor, possibly near West Vancouver? I can think of a number of different ways to get passengers to the ship.

I doubt that any cruise ship would consider tendering for embarkation. The problem dealing with luggage would be to great.

You would have an easier job convincing them to start in Victoria, where they can dock, even though that is harder to get to than Vancouver.

I doubt that any cruise ship would consider tendering for embarkation. The problem dealing with luggage would be to great.

You would have an easier job convincing them to start in Victoria, where they can dock, even though that is harder to get to than Vancouver.

Right...forgot about the luggage issues. Wouldn't want them to drop the luggage in the ocean. Wonder if the Horeshoe Bay Ferry dock would work?:p

Perhaps they should just do a closed loop Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise from Seattle or San Francisco. Starting in San Francisco makes all kinds of sense, with Napa Valley right there for a pre- or post-cruisetour.

Almost anything would beat an Ensenada disembarkation at this point.

As for me, guess I'll just start to work on that Lions Gate Bridge issue. :D:D:D

Sorry mate, thought you meant Ensenada, I will be in Vancouver on the 1st of September this year for our tour of the rockies. Then cruising through to China.:D

There is another option - cruise down to San Diego from Vancouver with the Millenium. The Solstice leaves the next day from Ensenada. This doesn't violate the Jones Act because you are changing ships and changing ports (ie. Foreign to US port on one ship) then Foreign to US on a different ship. Stay one night in San Diego in any hotel/motel then get to Ensenada via Celebrities transfer service (from the airport) which I believe you can book independently since you obviously would not need choice air.

The trip is a day less (and a port short).

There is another option - cruise down to San Diego from Vancouver with the Millenium. The Solstice leaves the next day from Ensenada. This doesn't violate the Jones Act because you are changing ships and changing ports (ie. Foreign to US port on one ship) then Foreign to US on a different ship. Stay one night in San Diego in any hotel/motel then get to Ensenada via Celebrities transfer service (from the airport) which I believe you can book independently since you obviously would not need choice air.

The trip is a day less (and a port short).

We have considered this and may yet consider it again. We have plenty of time to organise something.

I was on the Century trip this year that terminated in Ensenada. We were on one of the buses that did not have an issue. Would I do it again, in a heartbeat. The price was right, the time around the islands was outstanding. Only downside was we did not cruise past Kilaue as advertised.

I am sure Celebrity is taking a hard look at the quality of the buses and drivers. The majority of the errors that occured, in my opinion, were all driver based. The buses that did have the biggest problems were the ones that crossed at Tijuana not Otay Mesa where they were supposed to cross with priority for crossing. A Celebrity rep did meet us at the border, informed us of the lead time to cross and outlined what was going to happen.

All passengers, entertainers, and those who were not ships company were required to disembark in Ensenada and bus to San Diego. Even those passengers on B2B's.

At no time during the transit to San Diego did I feel my safety was threatend.

Hi all-- perhaps I don't fully understand the issues with the Jones Act and/or perhps the rules are changing, but we are booked on the Century in 12/13 to Hawaii and the cruise is RT from San Diego to San Diego and stops in no foreign ports. :)

Hi all-- perhaps I don't fully understand the issues with the Jones Act and/or perhps the rules are changing, but we are booked on the Century in 12/13 to Hawaii and the cruise is RT from San Diego to San Diego and stops in no foreign ports. :)

You're doing a return... the cruise in question with Ensenada is a one way. They have different rules. Short form is a return to the same US port has to hit a foreign port... for you, century calls at Ensenada for a couple of hours. For a one way, they cannot start and end at two different US Ports without hitting a foreign distant port... there aren't any close to us, you'd have to hit south america..so instead of starting at a US port, they start in Mexico to get around the rule.

We have been looking at doing this cruise, but the disembarkation at Ensenada is what's stopping us. Just don't know if we want to end a beautiful cruise with what seems to be a near nightmare.

I find it amazing that Celebrity doesn't take a HINT and change the disembarkation port to San Diego. Just make the usual token stop in Ensenada and take off to SD! We never get off the ship anymore in Ensenada, much less want to disembark there!!

OK, so it adds a few dollars to the cruise, I'm sure another $100 or two isn't going to make that much difference to someone who's spent $1000s!

I find it amazing that Celebrity doesn't take a HINT and change the disembarkation port to San Diego. Just make the usual token stop in Ensenada and take off to SD! We never get off the ship anymore in Ensenada, much less want to disembark there!!

OK, so it adds a few dollars to the cruise, I'm sure another $100 or two isn't going to make that much difference to someone who's spent $1000s!

it has nothing to do with trying to save a few $$$ the ship is heading to Hawaii and then to Australia. It's illegal to sail from one US port to another without a foreign Distant Port...hence...San Diego to Honolulu is an illegal cruise. They have no choice but to embark in Mexico.

There is another option - cruise down to San Diego from Vancouver with the Millenium. The Solstice leaves the next day from Ensenada. This doesn't violate the Jones Act because you are changing ships and changing ports (ie. Foreign to US port on one ship) then Foreign to US on a different ship.

Out of curiosity - what if you changed ships but not ports? As in, disembarked from one ship in San Diego and got on a different ship, still in San Diego (maybe a different cruise line, even) on either the same day or the next day. Would that still be a PVSA violation?

Edit for clarification: obviously this would be a moot point for a cruise to Hawaii, since you can't do San Diego to Hawaii. So this is somewhat academic :)

Out of curiosity - what if you changed ships but not ports? As in, disembarked from one ship in San Diego and got on a different ship, still in San Diego (maybe a different cruise line, even) on either the same day or the next day. Would that still be a PVSA violation?

Edit for clarification: obviously this would be a moot point for a cruise to Hawaii, since you can't do San Diego to Hawaii. So this is somewhat academic :)

In theory, you could switch ships in San Diego if the other ship was doing a San Diego return..the law states the same VESSEL cannot transport you between two US ports without a foreign distant port

Changing ships works. Changing days works. What you can't do is take a foreign flagged vessel between two US ports. Out and back yes, but not movement between ports. Different act (Jones=Cargo; PSVA=passengers) but same thing.

Yes you can take a foreign flagged vessel out and back. Example - Seattle-Seattle for Alaska, but you can't disembark lets say in Skagway and stay there.

This doesn't prohibit foreign flagged vessels from moving passengers/cargo/whatever from a US port to a foreign port or foreign port to US (just think of all those transpacfic and transatlantic repositioning cruises).

There is currently proposals to change/amend/modify the laws. I see that happening before Fall of 2013 just about as likely as finding a 100,000 ton iceberg in the Bahamas....

There is currently proposals to change/amend/modify the laws. I see that happening before Fall of 2013 just about as likely as finding a 100,000 ton iceberg in the Bahamas....

Be careful what you wish for. The last proposed modification was to strengthen it.

Archived