Lufthansa Strike Threat 8/23/12

sos1720

Lufthansa flight crews are threatening to strike next week if the airline's offer, due next Wednesday, does not meet their requirements.

Good to know this as we are booked with them for Oct. 3 to get to Venice from Frankfurt.................. we better start looking at other alternative just in case. Thank you for posting this information as we had no idea this was going on.

Good to know this as we are booked with them for Oct. 3 to get to Venice from Frankfurt.................. we better start looking at other alternative just in case. Thank you for posting this information as we had no idea this was going on.

I can't see you having an issue in October. We should know tomorrow their reaction to the new deal

I seldom ever fly internaly in europe, taking the train using a select pass..

Its cheaper and faster in most cases.

Great connections Venice to Frankfurt, either through Munich or Milan and a super trip through the Swiss alps as a bonus ! The Train station in Frankfurt airport is next to baggage claim...its IN the airport.

!!

On the otherside, they are converting the 757-200, with lie flat beds for domestic service ( flew LAX to IAH in a lie flat) and the UA Business seat and first class international suites are super.

My sarcastic humor :) I know you are a FF and a 2+MM.

The 757's are legacy CO planes -- they have lie flats because CO uses them for international flight to SA and to Europe. Yes ... a 757 to Europe.. I get them regularly from MCO to EWR - it goes on to CDG or AMS from EWR.

They are not converting these, in fact all 757's will eventually be replaced. On domestic by the recently purchased 737-900 and MAX's and international by the 787's.

Having flow 150k miles this year on UA all of it since the 3/3 transition the airline has gone really down hill with a new reservation system and new rules that prevent employees to have the old UA customer service pro-activity.

See you in the skies -- I would be the one booing Mr. Smisek's promo at the start of the safety briefing. :D

I would all be worried by a UA Strike also -- since the Pilots have already authorized one and contracts talks have moved nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess I can be called "anal retentive" sometimes, but I like to have all my ducks in a row. The Lufthansa rotating strikes have us nervous: we are flying on aeroplan miles from western Canada, and need to fly Lufthansa Heathrow to Munich to Barcelona to meet our cruise. We are scheduled to arrive 1.5 days early for the cruise, but when we read 46,000 passengers stranded during last strike on Tuesday, I can't visualize standing all stressed out in Heathrow for hours trying to arrange an alternate flight if we should be so unlucky as to fly when a strike is called. Even if the strike is day or two before we get to Heathrow, no guarantee we can get on a plane right away as they try to clear the backlog. Aeroplan can't help us, too late to make any changes as we leave in a week. So, found a really good seat sale from British Airways (London to Barcelona) and bought "just in case" tickets. If a strike is impacting travel, bags are only checked through to London and then we will connect with the alternate flight. Cost a couple hundred extra dollars, but worth the peace of mind. Bases now all covered. We WILL make that cruise, one way or another.

My sarcastic humor :) I know you are a FF and a 2+MM.

since the 3/3 transition the airline has gone really down hill with a new reservation system and new rules that prevent employees to have the old UA customer service pro-activity.

See you in the skies -- I would be the one booing Mr. Smisek's promo at the start of the safety briefing. :D

I would all be worried by a UA Strike also -- since the Pilots have already authorized one and contracts talks have moved nowhere.

You mean "slimy-Smisek" !!! I heard that the pilots signed off ? I also heard they are trying to RIF the UA crews and keeping true intergration at bay. As an example Slimy, is building a new LAX crew base for CO people only.

Then on the LAX/KOA/LAX run they turn the plane and use the same crew with a 2 hour break back to LAX with no overnight!

I know the reservations are bad and that Houston recently lost 14,000 passenger records. I caught it in time I had a e+ ticket to Lima they lost and to make amends they kicked me to first. ( sort of because it is 1 767/ domestic config not international....Do get lie flats LAX to IAH)

If you want to visit Hawaii in late October..the fares are at $380 rt LAX/KOA

There have been two stikes the last week. The first one last only several hours. The second was 24 hours and messed up many travelers. All actions took place at Frankfurt, Berlin, and Munich. The issues are still not settle, for look for more actions. Keeping check the airlines website for updates.

Archived