Does HAL deeply discount S cabins?

Might be true for intra-continental and closed loop sailings but it seems definitely not for TATL repos.

Here's a sampling of cheapest cheap S (SZ, SY, etc) cabin & regular S fares for the TATL cruise and the European cruise immediately preceeding.

Noordam

1,700 2,300 (10D)

1,500 3,000 (15D) TATL

Nieuw Amsterdam

2,900 5,000 (12D)

1,800 3,300 (13D) TATL

Prinsendam

SZ/SY S

3,400 9,000 (14D)

2,000 3,500 (15D) TATL

Ryndam (S only)

5,000 (11D)

4,000 (15D) TATL

Lower S grades are definitely bargains, and p.p.p.d. cost for regular S are much lower.

I'm not sure I am reading your chart correctly. If you are saying that the 15-day Noodam cruise sells for $3,000 for a SA, I would say: Grab it! We were booked last October for a 17-day, SA cabin for $3,500. We are booked for a TATL, November, 2013, Ryndam S class, for $3,900 (about), which we got through an online TA. But that was the best price we could find, so HAL's private sale for $4,000 on the Ryndam is good.

So you think my best bet is to buy into a superior verandah cabin (AB in my case) and hope/wait for an upsell?

I checked availability. S cabins are still for sale (4 assignable) as are SS (6) and SY (5).

Right now, I can get a AB GTY for the same price as a BC GTY and get $200 OBC to boot.

FWIW, this is somewhat less than 75 days to sailing so past final payment. Just wish I had the flexibility to sail the Noordam TATL repo where SZ is now going for $1,499

Maybe on some cruises but when I see SZ is going for less than VA and VB and the same as VC, you must wonder if anyone is actually paying.

We'd be very happy with a verandah (astoundingly cheap, currently $899 GTY on 2 TATL sailings where final payment is in effect). Just want to know if we could get even better for not much more.

The trouble with the upsell gambit is that we're headed off to Europe 3 weeks prior and won't be in regular e-mail (and probably phone) contact.

I am not sure where you are getting your numbers from but it is obvious that you do not understand HAL's pricing and what categories will actually go on sale. First for the Deluxe Verandah Suites there are 2 SC cabins both are handicapped, there are 4 SB cabins and for SA they are showing 9 but 9 always means more that 9 ;) I would venture to say probably around 20+ at this point. The SALE prices will only be in specific categories VH, SZ, and SC on a Vista Class ship. You will NEVER see a deeply discount rate on a SA cabin, only the SC and if you want something other than the two H/C cabins you then choose a Guarantee SC if you do not want to choose a specific. You can also take your chances by purchasing a Superior Verandah Suite and hope they make offers to UpSells to the Deluxe Verandah Suite ( this is not always a guarantee they will it depends on how many SC Guarantees were sold) but most likely you will get an offer and if it is one that you are willing to pay for. But the prices you currently see now for the other categories absolutely will not change and the offer to Upsell will not happen till the sailing is totally closed. The Revenue department does not even start to look at the pricing till they do decide to close it. Nor will they talk to anyone with any such offers for pricing.

If you are dealing with a TA or a PCC with HAL make sure that they know you want an offer and hopefully you find one that is proactive in getting this for you.

"Does HAL deeply discount S cabins?"

Have I been missing something. Deeply discounts on S or SA cabins, not that I've ever seen. I pick my cabin and pay the price. I keep looking for sales but it never seems to happen for those catagories of cabins.

We have seen that airlines actually increase the price of seats as the date for flight gets closer.

We booked a flight months ago for a domestic trip we are taking soon. DH checked the prices a few days ago and they rose about 18% as the flight is getting closer.

There's supply & demand and there's advance purchase. As far as supply & demand goes, there doesn't seem to be too much demand for HAL TATL cruises this year (lots of categories are still assigned-cabin and not GTY).

As you know, airlines, also start raising fares 3-2-1 weeks in advance to catch the last-minute business traveller who pays what it takes.

There's supply & demand and there's advance purchase. As far as supply & demand goes, there doesn't seem to be too much demand for HAL TATL cruises this year (lots of categories are still assigned-cabin and not GTY).

As you know, airlines, also start raising fares 3-2-1 weeks in advance to catch the last-minute business traveller who pays what it takes.

I do believe that both air fare and economy have affected the Transatlantics and other cruises this year (more for the Transatlantics as fares are one way).

Has nothing to do with HAL - there are deals everywhere.

Consider yourself lucky to grab a deal and take it :D

I'm not sure I am reading your chart correctly. If you are saying that the 15-day Noodam cruise sells for $3,000 for a SA, I would say: Grab it!

That $3k is for a SC cabin (sorry, got it wrong but it's a sight cheaper per day than $2,500 for the same grade for the preceeding 7 night cruise). Yeah, it's cheap but too much for me still. I wonder how low it'll go (or maybe they'll privately upsell to SZ, SY reservations, etc).

We are booked in an SY cabin for a fall sailing on Noordam. I see that the price has increased by $300 per person since we booked and paid. Also, all S category cabins are now on a "guarantee" basis. I assume this means that they are sold out and bookings now will be offered as cancellations are made.

We are booked in an SY cabin for a fall sailing on Noordam. I see that the price has increased by $300 per person since we booked and paid. Also, all S category cabins are now on a "guarantee" basis. I assume this means that they are sold out and bookings now will be offered as cancellations are made.

No, a guarantee is not the same as a waitlist. If you book a guarantee, you will sail on that ship in the category or higher.

The Revenue department does not even start to look at the pricing till they do decide to close it.

When does a cruise close?

Right now, this cruise is apparently not close to selling out (72 days to sailing). Penthouse suite is still available, 4 of the 18 S cabins are assignable, as are 5 / 24 SYs and 6 / 24 SSs. 16/36 of the AAs and 12/36 As re available for assignment.

Right now, this cruise is apparently not close to selling out (72 days to sailing). Penthouse suite is still available, 4 of the 18 S cabins are assignable, as are 5 / 24 SYs and 6 / 24 SSs. 16/36 of the AAs and 12/36 As re available for assignment.

You have a long way to go till up sell offers would be made if you are booked. The earliest I have seen is 20 days usually it is about 10 to 14 days from sailing. The Flash sales would have JUST Been released.

Just wondering if HAL ever deeply discounts S category cabins, especially on repo cruises.

Final payment has come into effect for the 4 TATL cruises. I notice the Noordam (earliest for the season) has SZ for the equivalent of $110 p.p.p.d. The other sailings (all later) around $130-`140 p.p.p.d and up.

Have a private sale that I am considering but that expires Tuesday. Wondering if I should have nerves of steel and stare down HAL's revenue department?

From what I have seen if you wait until after final payment you may be able to get a deal on a veranda cabin as a guarantee only. If you have seen a deal that HAL is offering you can tell your TA if you are using one what the HAL offer is and have them match the HAL offer. They can do that...all they have to do is call their contact at HAL.

Whose private sale is it, HAL or TA? Which is more important? the price or the trip?

I booked us -- me, DH in an SA, DD, Dgs in an obstructed view on the Eurodam for spring break -- never expected any reductions. By the time final payment came we had price reductions in both categories, upgraded from obstructed view to verandah, and saved the original price of the obstructed view(this included lower fare for the SA). No clue how this worked out. Just kept checking the prices.

I don't expect this to happen again in my lifetime.:cool:

Private sale is from HAL and linked to a Mariners Society number assigned to me (never sailed with HAL and my wife only once nearly two decades ago on the old Nieuw Amsterdam).

Booked an AB GTY for the price of BC GTY today (and don't have to pay until Saturday so even more flexibility :D) with an online TA who essentially pays the taxes & fees. FWIW, S and SY are on special fare/flash sale.

Trip is nice but I want to get the best value for my $$$.

Private sale is from HAL and linked to a Mariners Society number assigned to me (never sailed with HAL and my wife only once nearly two decades ago on the old Nieuw Amsterdam).

Booked an AB GTY for the price of BC GTY today (and don't have to pay until Saturday so even more flexibility :D) with an online TA who essentially pays the taxes & fees. FWIW, S and SY are on special fare/flash sale.

Trip is nice but I want to get the best value for my $$$.

congrats on booking:D I hope you have a great cruise:)

Lest you think no one is actually paying for those cabins, I assure you we do; Randy just advised he does and KK has stated they do as well. We are but a small sampling. ;)

I'm only writing these things to give you a realisitc view of the selling and buying of those cabins.

We were lucky to get upsell offers from SS/SY to an SA on four straight cruises. That spoiled us and we no longer play the waiting game. We've booked Deluxe Suites six straight times as we would rather know where we will be located. It doesn't bother us in the least if someone is paying $1,000 less PP for the same cabins we book.

I hope many have the same fortune we enjoyed!

So a few days later, 1 each of the S and SY have been booked, and 1 AA CXL (or someone UG'd).

When a cabin category has gone into GTY, I would imagine that all cabins have been assigned?

So a few days later, 1 each of the S and SY have been booked, and 1 AA CXL (or someone UG'd).

When a cabin category has gone into GTY, I would imagine that all cabins have been assigned?

No - cabins haven't been assigned - that's why there are still guarantees. A couple of weeks from sailing (approximately) HAL will start to look at upsells/upgrades and assigning cabins. They will try to upsell empty cabins first and then assign. Usually cabins are assigned around 10 days or less out. Upsell offers are usually (this is a general statement 2 weeks out - although I have had one at 3 weeks).

They are going to wait as long as possible in the hopes of selling the more expensive cabins before they offer cheap upsells and/or give upgrades.

Just my experience and JMVHO:D by the way what is UG'd???:confused:

hope this helps:)

OK folks,

What is an S cabin? thanks

An S cabin is a deluxe verandah suite on the smaller ships. (on the larger they are SA, SB and SC) but on the smaller ships they are classified as S.:) (or should I say the more 'seasoned' ships)

OK folks,

What is an S cabin? thanks

S refers to the Deluxe Verandah Suite category cabins. On the older, smaller ships there is only the single S designation. On the larger ships they have sub-categories like SA, SB, and SC but they're all S category cabins and all come with the amenities and benefits of a Deluxe Verandah Suite.

NOTE: Posted just after Kazu's and I was apparently typing mine at the same time. Hey...at least we said the same thing. :D

LOL Thank you both.

NOW i understand. I'm an I

I'll bet S cabins are awesome.

They are pretty nice:D Nicer than on the newer ships IMO:)

The Prinsendam's is our favourite. Even though it's smaller (according to the stats), it is so well laid out - it feels bigger and it's very easy to put 8 people in that room sitting (without using the verandah chairs):)

Archived