Does HAL deeply discount S cabins?

The only S category cabin I disliked and won't sail in again is S010 on the Ryndam. :(

that's saying a lot - you've been on a few:D I haven't been on the Rhyndam - what was wrong with the cabin (oops - suite) - were they all the same or did this one have issues.? Inquiring minds would like to know :)

that's saying a lot - you've been on a few:D I haven't been on the Rhyndam - what was wrong with the cabin (oops - suite) - were they all the same or did this one have issues.? Inquiring minds would like to know :)

My ex-wife was in it .......what's worse was that I was with her! :eek::D. When Carey and I first cruised the Ryndam, some four years later, we had S012....a much better cabin in all sorts of ways. Funny thing is that I only mentioned once to my wife and she skips every cabin numbered 10 on any ship now when we're looking at cabins. :)

My ex-wife was in it .......what's worse was that I was with her! :eek::D. When Carey and I first cruised the Ryndam, some four years later, we had S012....a much better cabin in all sorts of ways. Funny thing is that I only mentioned once to my wife and she skips every cabin numbered 10 on any ship now when we're looking at cabins. :)

Still laughing out loud - I'm glad I didn't have a glass of water in my hand - my laptop would be gone:D And I can't blame Carey in any way - i wouldn't book #10 either:)

Too good of a story - thanks for sharing:D (and I thought the cabin had plumbing or AC problems, silly me).

The other interesting thing was that it was the one time I wished the wonderful HAL staff didn't have such wonderful memories. A number remembered me and one even greeted me with "Hell-o Dr. Randy and....and....not same wife."! :D. I figured I was safe after four years, guess I figured wrong. :)

No - cabins haven't been assigned - that's why there are still guarantees.:)

O.K. so how does this work? Say there are the 2 BC cabins (which there are). Do they let the 1st 2 bookers select the cabins and then sell the rest as BC GTY? So move up to ABs where there are 25 cabins. Do they let the 1st 25 bookers choose the cabin, or say the 1st X (where 0<X<25) choose a cabin and then sell more ABs off as GTYs? And just move up to AB. 36 cabins. 17 can be assigned. Does that mean there are only 19 bookings for AB category?

O.K. so how does this work? Say there are the 2 BC cabins (which there are). Do they let the 1st 2 bookers select the cabins and then sell the rest as BC GTY? So move up to ABs where there are 25 cabins. Do they let the 1st 25 bookers choose the cabin, or say the 1st X (where 0<X<25) choose a cabin and then sell more ABs off as GTYs? And just move up to AB. 36 cabins. 17 can be assigned. Does that mean there are only 19 bookings for AB category?

calm down - it's not like that at all - you don't get to select a cabin - you booked a guarantee - so HAL will select the cabin:rolleyes:

They will offer upsells to some first for the higher end categories (like S or SY) and no, no one knows how the upsell fairy works;)

and then they will assign cabins and upgrades COULD happen (I said could, right?) you don't know what you get (unless you get an upsell offer) until you see your cabin posted on the express check in dock (or get your email).

You could well be moved up and you might not. No one has figured out the rhyme or reason to it. if we knew the magic answer we would all book guarantees and go away smiling;)

there is no mathematical formula - nothing that we know of - they are simply assigned as far as most of us know = how it's done is another whole kettle of fish;) not much help - but hopefully it makes sense

calm down - it's not like that at all - you don't get to select a cabin - you booked a guarantee - so HAL will select the cabin:rolleyes:

I know how the GTY works (as in, won't get any category lower than what I book and I don't have a choice). Just want to know if I am misassuming something as to how they sell them.

They will offer upsells to some first for the higher end categories (like S or SY) and no, no one knows how the upsell fairy works;)

I assume they will. Though there are only 3, 6 & 4 S, SS and SY available for cabin selection (and presumably for sale/upsell?).

What I am asking (hopefully spelled out clearly) is, will HAL sell a specific category as GTY only if there are fewer reservations than total cabins? That is, if there are 25 AB cabins on the ship, will HAL sell ABs at GTY if there are less than 25 bookings for ABs?

And secondly, if there are no cabins in that category for selection (i.e., currently being sold as a GTY), does that mean that there is a specific booking for each cabin in that category?

I know how the GTY works (as in, won't get any category lower than what I book and I don't have a choice). Just want to know if I am misassuming something as to how they sell them.

I assume they will. Though there are only 3, 6 & 4 S, SS and SY available for cabin selection (and presumably for sale/upsell?).

What I am asking (hopefully spelled out clearly) is, will HAL sell a specific category as GTY only if there are fewer reservations than total cabins? That is, if there are 25 AB cabins on the ship, will HAL sell ABs at GTY if there are less than 25 bookings for ABs?

And secondly, if there are no cabins in that category for selection (i.e., currently being sold as a GTY), does that mean that there is a specific booking for each cabin in that category?

well this is a better question for Lisa but my experience is yes - they will sell more than a particular category holds (usually lower but sometime like an SZ) and yes, then some are upgraded!:D They know what the ship holds and some people get a bargain.

They will oversell a category knowing they can fill it elsewhere - so someone in your party could get a bargain.

Good luck:D

well this is a better question for Lisa but my experience is yes - they will sell more than a particular category holds (usually lower but sometime like an SZ) and yes, then some are upgraded!:D They know what the ship holds and some people get a bargain.

They will oversell a category knowing they can fill it elsewhere - so someone in your party could get a bargain.

On my cruise, only BC and ABs (verandah and up categories) are being sold as GTYs currently with AA (17), A (12), SY (4), SS (6), S (3) and PS (1) available for assignment. 42 specific cabins available for booking in those categories. Yeah, I am hoping for an UG or upsell to those. All the better if there are lots of BCs booked (I booked AB GTY so hopefully ahead of them) and the ABs who have specific cabins want to stay in them (larger verandahs, aft facing).

On my cruise, only BC and ABs (verandah and up categories) are being sold as GTYs currently with AA (17), A (12), SY (4), SS (6), S (3) and PS (1) available for assignment. 42 specific cabins available for booking in those categories. Yeah, I am hoping for an UG or upsell to those. All the better if there are lots of BCs booked (I booked AB GTY so hopefully ahead of them) and the ABs who have specific cabins want to stay in them (larger verandahs, aft facing).

Most of the cabins on the Prinsendam are very nice. The ONE category I would NOT book is AB. These are the new cabins that were installed at the last drydock. There have been issues reported with them in turns of noise, vibration and water on verandahs, etc. NO walk in closets - standard type of HAL room versus the nice different rooms on the Elegant Explorer. This is one ship where aft verandahs are not better IMO.;)

• 1 month later...

Been tracking cabins over the past 5 weeks. Current status of the Prinsendam for the TATL in a month is the PS is still available. 3 S available. Went down to 1 but 3 came back up free though 1 seems to have been booked since. Still the same 6 SSs available and 4 SYs. Assignable A and AAs are still the same in total (29 - though A disappeared one day) and BC is now off sale. C, H, M, MM and N are now GTYs or have been over the past 5 weeks. G was but now cabins assignable.

Been tracking cabins over the past 5 weeks. Current status of the Prinsendam for the TATL in a month is the PS is still available. 3 S available. Went down to 1 but 3 came back up free though 1 seems to have been booked since. Still the same 6 SSs available and 4 SYs. Assignable A and AAs are still the same in total (29 - though A disappeared one day) and BC is now off sale. C, H, M, MM and N are now GTYs or have been over the past 5 weeks. G was but now cabins assignable.

I wish you luck:) the PS and the S's are sold out for our cruise next year - so there is a great opportunity here. Hope you have a great TA and I wish you good luck in your upsell chance:D Don't waste time asking here though - decide the price you are willing to pay and if you like it - go for it - those offers go to a LOT of people - first come first served so to speak.

Enjoy your cruise - if we could have fudged dh's time off - we would have loved to have joined your group:) Worry pas. What will be will be.

Have fun with your planning:)

In about 80 HAL cruises in "S" or "PS" cabin, we have never gotten fabulous sale.

We are blessed:

In our only two cruises to date, we have been up sold for a very low price to a category S deluxe verandah both times.

Not really expecting a hat trick, but it would be nice!

Good luck. Hope you get your wish. :)

It was good advice to have your mind set on how high you are willing to go to buy an upsell if it is offered. You really need to respond rapidly or it goes to someone else. Plan in advance in case you 'get the call'.

I have what seems to be a suckey TA (but then again got > $100 off a person). Not sure if I will get the upsell but I'll be happy in a A or AA. I have written to the TA to let them know my top dollar to authorise an upsell if one comes about in the next 1 1/2 weeks before I head over to Europe. I'll email again before I go.

I have what seems to be a suckey TA (but then again got > $100 off a person). Not sure if I will get the upsell but I'll be happy in a A or AA. I have written to the TA to let them know my top dollar to authorise an upsell if one comes about in the next 1 1/2 weeks before I head over to Europe. I'll email again before I go.

Is your cruise part of a Collector's Series? Or is it just one segment that is the Oct 31st for 15 nights?

For the 15 night there are actually quite a few Superior Verandahs so if the TA knows the right number to call there should be some Upsell offers but probably not for another 10 days to two weeks. Now if it is a Collectors Series and you are starting this cruise doing the 29 day it is not likely there will be any offers. There are not any cabins remaining for that first segment. When people book Collectors Series you just cannot expect upgrades and upsells because HAL cannot move you between different cabins between voyages because you only have one reservation number. Then to find one cabin available for both is difficult, sometimes I am amazed at what HAL actually does.

Is your cruise part of a Collector's Series? Or is it just one segment that is the Oct 31st for 15 nights?

For the 15 night there are actually quite a few Superior Verandahs so if the TA knows the right number to call there should be some Upsell offers but probably not for another 10 days to two weeks. Now if it is a Collectors Series and you are starting this cruise doing the 29 day it is not likely there will be any offers. There are not any cabins remaining for that first segment. When people book Collectors Series you just cannot expect upgrades and upsells because HAL cannot move you between different cabins between voyages because you only have one reservation number. Then to find one cabin available for both is difficult, sometimes I am amazed at what HAL actually does.

Thanks for posting this Lisa - I'm always learning something on these boards and from your posts:):)

Looks like the answer to my original question (re: the 15-day TATL sailing) is no. Never saw the PS & S prices come down (not that I would have paid the upsell prices reported y those on other cruises).

At any rate, posting because a few days ago, all the verandah cabins were taken off sale. Then they came back, but with the PS and S cabins gone.

Since there wasn't a fire sale that I was aware of, I am guessing HAL may have made upgrade offers to 5 parties booked in the S/SS/SY categories and they took the 5 PS + S cabins that were available a week ago. The number of available (selectable) SS & SY cabins has gone up by 2 and A + AA cabins gone up by 7, so actually a net increase of 4 cabins.

So now to fill those A & AA cabins with AB and BC (and C) GTYs. So best I can hope for is an upsell (or preferably, upgrade) to SY and SS.

Best way to always get the cabin you really want is to book it. ;) :)

I admire the energy and effort you have put into tracking the cabins in the higher categories. I don't have the patience. :o

Hope you get whichever cabin it is you really want.

Good luck.

Best way to always get the cabin you really want is to book it.

Nahhh, wouldn't/won't pay the price.

I admire the energy and effort you have put into tracking the cabins in the higher categories. I don't have the patience.

Hope you get whichever cabin it is you really want.

Good luck.

Prinsendam is easy because of the small size and relatively few cabins.

Always want more for less but hopefully an A or AA.

Nahhh, wouldn't/won't pay the price.

Prinsendam is easy because of the small size and relatively few cabins.

Always want more for less but hopefully an A or AA.

If this is your first HAL cruise you may well get an offer -but don't bet on it- there are people willing to pay the upsell rates = you booked what you booked - settle for that and anything else is a bonus:)

If this is your first HAL cruise you may well get an offer -but don't bet on it- there are people willing to pay the upsell rates = you booked what you booked - settle for that and anything else is a bonus:)

My wife is a 1* but hasn't sailed with HAL in 17 years so we'll see. Unfortunately we're staging to Europe Wednesday so unless the upsell comes in the next 3 days.

Archived