Tropical Storm Isaac

jratly

We are scheduled to leave on the Oasis Saturday and they are predicting this storm will be a hurricane near the port by then. I know they steer around them when at sea but wonder what the cruise lines do in this situation.

It depends- and almost anything can happen

If is not too bad, it can just be like other days. You get on the ship and that is that.

If it is very bad, the ship may just stay out to see for a few days.

Anything can happen. Oh the joy of cruising in season.

I am also on the Oasis on Saturday.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that these hurricanes can change on a dime, and an hour is an eternity in hurricaneland.

But - that being said - this is what I see when I put on my captains hat and look at the current projections........

We leave on Saturday as scheduled, skip Nassau on Sunday and head due east - and then slowly meander due south down to St Thomas and St Marten and come back as scheduled. Am I Captain Schettino? I guess we will find out.

Im just hoping like hell we are somewhere at sea (a calm sea) next week.

We are scheduled to leave on the Oasis Saturday and they are predicting this storm will be a hurricane near the port by then. I know they steer around them when at sea but wonder what the cruise lines do in this situation.

On Saturday, the storm center will still be down around Haiti. You should be able to embark just fine.

Think you will be ok. The projected path brings it south of Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti. And then north thru Cuba early next week. You will be going in the other direction.

I am also on the Oasis on Saturday.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that these hurricanes can change on a dime, and an hour is an eternity in hurricaneland.

But - that being said - this is what I see when I put on my captains hat and look at the current projections........

We leave on Saturday as scheduled, skip Nassau on Sunday and head due east - and then slowly meander due south down to St Thomas and St Marten and come back as scheduled. Am I Captain Schettino? I guess we will find out.

Im just hoping like hell we are somewhere at sea (a calm sea) next week.

We are on the Oasis, as well. My question at the moment is...will the ship be able to get into the port this Saturday coming from Cozumel? I know that the port and all are clear...but what about the sailing area to the port?

I believe that our route will be reversed too...no captains hat here...just looking at the projected path and maps...:D

Calm seas would be nice!

Crystal

Think you will be ok. The projected path brings it south of Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti. And then north thru Cuba early next week. You will be going in the other direction.
We all know that can change in a second and usually does.;)

We are on the Oasis' date=' as well. My question at the moment is...will the ship be able to get into the port this Saturday coming from Cozumel? I know that the port and all are clear...but what about the sailing area to the port?[/quote']

The storm should be far enough away for the Oasis to make it from Mexico to Ft. Lauderdale. If the storm stays on it's current path, the problem will be Nassau on the 26th (Sunday). Not sure what they'll do, but we'll find out...

The storm should be far enough away for the Oasis to make it from Mexico to Ft. Lauderdale. If the storm stays on it's current path, the problem will be Nassau on the 26th (Sunday). Not sure what they'll do, but we'll find out...

We were on Allure eastern last year during Hurricane Irene. We skipped Nassau and took a longer, more round-about northerly path to St. Thomas to go around the hurricane which was on course to hit Nassau. Then, they tacked Nassau onto the end of the itinerary (day 6) after verifying that there was no damage to the pier and that space was available.

Then, they tacked Nassau onto the end of the itinerary (day 6) after verifying that there was no damage to the pier and that space was available.

Minor correction... it was the last day (day 7). I actually wished that we had skipped Nassau at that point as I much prefer an "at sea" day for the last day of the cruise.

We were supposed to go to Atlantis for the aqua park excursion. It had been pre-ordered on the web. Because we didn't get to go to Nassau at the beginning of the cruise, the excursion was canceled and the money was refunded to my SeaPass account. Then, when we ended up going to Nassau at the end of the cruise, they recharged the amount for the excursion and reissued the tickets. In the end, though, Atlantis closed the aqua park due to some cleanup necessary from Irene, so the amount got refunded to the SeaPass account again.

Anyway, I give the Explorations desk credit for trying to be nimble in handling excursion changes due to the itinerary changes and the weather.

We were on the Mariner Eastern Caribbean during TS Beryl several years ago, which was kind of sitting on the Bahamas at the time, and they just diverted us to Puerto Rico & then on to the rest of the cruise as scheduled. Nothing to see, nothing to notice. Smooth like butter.

Point being, they are pretty much masters at this after so many years and so many storms. You'll go somewhere and see something.

We were on the Mariner Eastern Caribbean during TS Beryl several years ago, which was kind of sitting on the Bahamas at the time, and they just diverted us to Puerto Rico & then on to the rest of the cruise as scheduled. Nothing to see, nothing to notice. Smooth like butter.

Point being, they are pretty much masters at this after so many years and so many storms. You'll go somewhere and see something.

Right, and don't forget...Booking a cruise during hurricane season in the Caribbean is a risk itself. Very unpredictable. I hope everyone enjoys their cruise anyway! :D

BTW....I LOVE your quote! :D

I just read on CC's facebook page that Oasis may switch to Western itinerary on Saturday depending on weather. Allure was switched to Western, either way you will have a great great time!! I actually like western itinerary because of Cozumel :) have a great time on my favorite ship!!! :):)

Here are the models of where it might go.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201209_model.html

You can also see the forecasted track here:

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker

The most recent one has been updated for it reaching FL at 8am on Monday. Up until recently it was tracking it to reach FL by 2am... May not seem like much difference but I'll take it getting here later as we leave Ft. lauderdale on Allure on Sun.

You can also see the forecasted track here:

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker

The most recent one has been updated for it reaching FL at 8am on Monday. Up until recently it was tracking it to reach FL by 2am... May not seem like much difference but I'll take it getting here later as we leave Ft. lauderdale on Allure on Sun.

Thanks for the other link. Do you know how wide the storm is? The begining of the storm should reach Florida before Monday. How much before? Could tell a little better is we knew how wide the storm is. Therefore, Fl should be feeling the storm long before the eye makes land fall. Most of Fl might feel some of it being Fl is about 90 miles wide.

Thanks for the other link. Do you know how wide the storm is? The begining of the storm should reach Florida before Monday. How much before? Could tell a little better is we knew how wide the storm is. Therefore, Fl should be feeling the storm long before the eye makes land fall. Most of Fl might feel some of it being Fl is about 90 miles wide.

I havent seen anything on when the outer bands of the storm would affect FL but someone on our roll call jsut said the weather forecast was for sunny skies on saturday and sunday during the day with possible rain each night... as long as we can land in FL on Sun morning and the ship can leave the port Sun evening I will be happy.

I havent seen anything on when the outer bands of the storm would affect FL but someone on our roll call jsut said the weather forecast was for sunny skies on saturday and sunday during the day with possible rain each night... as long as we can land in FL on Sun morning and the ship can leave the port Sun evening I will be happy.

I hope that you can land in Fl on Sunday. Check with your air line before hand. Some times they try to clear the planes out of the area that might be hit. Once on board you are fine.

Archived