Canadian Money

These opinions are from people living on the West Coast of Canada; while I suspect the $US is widely accepted in the Maritime Provinces it would be interesting to hear from someone who lives down east who can confirm this.

It will probably be accepted, but not at the best rate. Your change will be in Canadian. Why not grab a bit of cash from an ATM?

I think it is courteous to use the currency of a nation you are visiting and I know we have been greeted and treated well in many countries for doing so.

Thanks for all your help I guess I will look into getting some Canadian before we go, I didn't know I was looking for "loonies" and "toonies". I have a bunch of Canadian pennies I should see if I can get any more change.

We are going to St John and Halifax and we really want to see the tide in the Bay of Fundy and will need to pay taxi or whatever so that is why I asked.

Any possible way this is walkable? We like to walk and can easily do a couple of miles, not sure where to go so any hints on links that will give directions from cruise ship?

Hi lb0103,

I'm from Hudson, NH, too!

I'm on a cruise to Halifax and St. John in October.

Most taxi websites quote prices in Canadian dollars, although I'm sure those that cater to cruiser tours are used to getting US$. Best to check ahead if you can.

(We always used to get lots of Canadian coins here in NH years ago when the French-Canadian population was significant. Now not so much.)

According to this site, there's a pedestrian Harbor Passage trail from the cruise piers to the Reversing Falls: http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-saint-john-new-brunswick.html

If you go to Google Maps, and enter "200 Bridge Rd, St John, New Brunswick", then switch to Satellite view, you'll see how close the Falls are to the cruise ships.

Thanks for all your help I guess I will look into getting some Canadian before we go, I didn't know I was looking for "loonies" and "toonies". I have a bunch of Canadian pennies I should see if I can get any more change.

We are going to St John and Halifax and we really want to see the tide in the Bay of Fundy and will need to pay taxi or whatever so that is why I asked.

Any possible way this is walkable? We like to walk and can easily do a couple of miles, not sure where to go so any hints on links that will give directions from cruise ship?

A cab driver might be hesitant to accept US money.

Loon's are Canadian $1 coins, "Twoons" are $2 coins. There are no bills lower than $5 in Canadian currency.

A cab driver might be hesitant to accept US money.

Loon's are Canadian $1 coins, "Twoons" are $2 coins. There are no bills lower than $5 in Canadian currency.

Just a small correction :)

Loonies and Toonies

The dollar coin is called a loonie because it has a loon on it. When the $2 coin came out after that, the natural thing to call it was toonie (combination of two and following on "oon" theme).

You may be interested to know (and see) paper money is being phased out. The $50 and $100 bills are see through polymer with lower denominations being phased in over next few years.

Hi lb0103,

I'm from Hudson, NH, too!

I'm on a cruise to Halifax and St. John in October.

Most taxi websites quote prices in Canadian dollars, although I'm sure those that cater to cruiser tours are used to getting US$. Best to check ahead if you can.

(We always used to get lots of Canadian coins here in NH years ago when the French-Canadian population was significant. Now not so much.)

Just a minor point but one that will clear up any confusion....Saint John in in New Brunswick. St. John's is 2 provinces away in Newfoundland and St. John is in the BVI. People get mixed up so we do spell it that way..you will see lots of confusion right in this board.

Margaret

St. John's NL

Just a minor point but one that will clear up any confusion....Saint John in in New Brunswick. St. John's is 2 provinces away in Newfoundland and St. John is in the BVI. People get mixed up so we do spell it that way..you will see lots of confusion right in this board.

Margaret

St. John's NL

Lard T'underin' Jaysus, bye, yous knows yourself.....nice to hear from from someone from the holy city of St. Jahn's and be set straight.;)

draft_lens6185052module62576612photo_1255297925screechlabel.jpg

Just wondering if US retailers would take Canadian dollars, as I would prefer not to get US$ on trips to the United States. Reality: Some Canadian locations may take US$ because so many American tourists think the US$ should be accepted worldwide, while almost NO American retailer will even consider taking any foreign currency (including Canadian dollars).

Kam,

Ah, Kamloops. One of my favourite cities. Worked for many years in Williams Lake. Going to Kamloops was a big treat from 6 feet of snow! ;)

Used to come for the Kamloops half-marathon and Blackwell Dairy run in the 80s.

Trying to remember where it started. We used to stay at the Argus Motel next to the motel that had the purple dome retaurant (can't remember the name and I don't think either are there anymore). Seems to me we crossed into North Kamloops then west into the country side (lots of arroyos) to a community centre in the middle of nowhere it seemed. I remember the main doors had big round windows on either side and there was an ice-rink attached. I've tried looking for it on Google maps but can never find it.You wouldn't know what I'm talking about would you? I tried contacting Ridgerunners but no one has ever gotten back to me.

Kam,

Ah, Kamloops. One of my favourite cities. Worked for many years in Williams Lake. Going to Kamloops was a big treat from 6 feet of snow! ;)

Used to come for the Kamloops half-marathon and Blackwell Dairy run in the 80s.

Trying to remember where it started. We used to stay at the Argus Motel next to the motel that had the purple dome retaurant (can't remember the name and I don't think either are there anymore). Seems to me we crossed into North Kamloops then west into the country side (lots of arroyos) to a community centre in the middle of nowhere it seemed. I remember the main doors had big round windows on either side and there was an ice-rink attached. I've tried looking for it on Google maps but can never find it.You wouldn't know what I'm talking about would you? I tried contacting Ridgerunners but no one has ever gotten back to me.

Kamloops has changes at lot from the 80's . There is a half & full marathon held each year . We also have Boogie the Bridge run every year as well.

Right now a taxi fare of $10 CAD would be $10.07 US.

The exchange rate is not the point. It costs money to exchange currency. I wouldn't accept foreign currency, and I think it's beyond rude to expect a business to accept a currency that is not their official country currency with a very few exceptions where American currency is preferred as it's more stable (I know, the irony).

Archived